Options
TXRedDirt
TXRedDirt Posts: 45 Member
My biggest temptation so far!

Replies

• nis75p06
    nis75p06 Posts: 114
    Options
    Haven't been in years. I guess I got burned out from spending my youth in the cattle barns of the junior livestock show... A friend regaled me with all the "wonderful" things she ate when she went - she tried every single "new" food and had most of the old standbys too. I swear must have done nothing but eat the entire time. All I could think of was who the heck fries BUTTER!?!
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I moved down to Houston in 2008 and enjoyed going to the fair these past few years (missed the one in 2012). Here in Houston, the fair is in Feb-Mar to coincide with the rodeo.

Anway, I always look forward to taking a friend, playing a few games, eating something nasty, and taking in the rodeo and concert. Last year, I enjoyed "Fried key lime pie on a stick". I know it sounds nasty, but the key lime pie filling was very warm and gooey! Just what you'd expect from your fairs. If they dont have that, I'll just stick to my funnel cake with fruit topping.

The point I'm trying to make is that you need to view this as a LIFESTYLE change and not a diet. Diets are temporary; a lifestyle change is permanent and ongoing. Does that mean that you have to give up eating unhealthy foods for the rest of your life? No, of course not? You can certainly splurge on something once a week, once a month, etc. The main thing is to remove that unhealthy food from your REGULAR food intake.

I say if you eat healthy and exercise the remainder of the week, go ahead and treat yourself to something at the fair. Limit yourself to one dessert and enjoy your day at the fair.
  • Invictus195
    Options
    I just went Sunday. It was cold and honestly didn't like any of it except the cars. The fried crap wasn't appealing at all. I had a corn on the cobb and some pinto beans with jalapenos...thats it. There wasn't anything "tempting" to me in that place!
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I have never actually been to the State Fair, and I don't live that far from it, honestly. It's just never been something I've been interested in. But most of the "fried" foods they serve don't sound appealing at all, either. I think I'll pass on that.
  • nis75p06
    nis75p06 Posts: 114
    Options
    I'd be all over funnel cake or a turkey leg. I just cannot wrap my head around FRIED BUTTER. Or then newest concoction that my fair-going friend raved about - a cinnamon roll dipped in batter, rolled in bacon crumbles then deep fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar.

I like bacon. - no really, I adore bacon.
    I like cinnamon rolls.
    I like fried foods.

But the though of those three things combined in one does nothing for me.
  • lotidah
    Options
    The State Fair is something I look forward to every year since I was a toddler. I'm a sucker for shopping the vendors, looking at cars, Seeing the marine band play, Listening to musicians, going through exhibits..... And I always have a Fletchers corny dog. I think they are 350 calories.

I guess it is the atmosphere and childhood memories that brings me back. Daddy was a fireman and back then then the fireman could volunteer on one of their days off to run the rides. He usually chose the bumper cars and (shhhhh) would sneak us jusst one free ride. So my family of five would pile in the station wagon, pack our Ice chest with tuna sandwiches, soda and a six pack of Pearl beer for mom and dad, and make a day of it. When we got hungry, we headed for the car and opened the tailgate and had a picnic lunch before going back to take in more. We always had to see the Marine Band play and usually stayed for the parade, Stayed for the fireworks before heading home. It remained a tradition with my family and now, with my grandchildren.

Something new and unique this year is the Japanese Lantern Festival. It cost extra, but we will probably give it a go.
    BigTex.com is the website if you want to check it out!
  • lotidah
    Options
    Oops, thats the Chiness Lantern Festival. Sorry
  • TXRedDirt
    TXRedDirt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well I tend to not like the fried gimmick food, but did eat a corndog (460 calories per Dallas Morning News) and a slice of Pizza. However I'm sure 4 hours of walking and the 45 minutes on the treadmill helped me out! I too love the turkey legs, but they are close to 1100 calories. How can they make turkey that bad is beyond me.

I'm with others, my favorite part is the car show and vendors.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I went Sunday and the best thing out there deff was the fried oreos! MAN i DONT CARE HOW MANY CALORIES EACH ONE HAD! They were the bomb-diggity!!!
    its only once a year so why not. I also had a footlong chilidog, corn dog, and a lim-arita......these i shared with two other people. I walked for hours and worked out earlier that day so its not so bad. I had a great time. I think it mainly depends on the people you go with. I went with two other friends and we had a blast! All jokes, and lettting loose from our normal "adult activites"...plus we had no kids with us. Ans the weather was just lovlieeeee!!!!!
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I meant our normal adult responsibilities**** bills, work, kids etc....