Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Supersize Me! Noooooo!!!!!!! Not me! 10/10

garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Ok, yes I have a theme going here this week so.....
Hey, have you ever heard the phrase 'portion distortion'? I was reading online about it a while ago. Basically, it was talking how portion sizes of foods over the past 30 years in the USA have ballooned compared to say the 60s and the 70s till now! They had pictures of the portion size of a burger and fries at McDonald's from the 60s compared to now and this was ADULT portion too! They also did slice of pizza and a bagel.

The discussion then went to why we are overweight has a lot to do with our portion sizes. Whether we are blind because we don't know the correct portion sizes/servings we get at restaurants or because we think we are getting more for our buck!
Remember "SUPER-SIZE ME" well once you became a super-size were you happy?!?!?? HA!!!

CHALLENGE:Use a food scale, use those measuring cups and spoons too! It all helps us to CALORIE COUNT correctly and make proper decisions on food choices too!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=177

http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=4294967941&terms=serving+size#.UHVpca6ccTA

READ these two resources.

Peace,
Wonder Woman

Replies

• aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Did this a couple three weeks ago for my breakfast cereal. The "cup" I was using is more like 1.75 cups.

This is also one of the reasons I like pre-packaged food. It's already measured for you. :laugh:

*Yes, I'm poking fun at your unprocessed challenge. Only in jest. I know it's good for you.*
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    I bookmarked the sites to reference again later. My retention is not so great and it is great to have tools to re-enforce memory. I usually measure my cereal out in dry ,measuring cups because I know I go way over if I do not. I rarely eat cereal these days. I stick to yogurt.

Pasta is another hard one, I have even declined pasta and opted for vegetables. For instance if I make spaghetti I pour my sauce over the vegetables instead of pasta.

Oooh this reminds me I need to defrost my chicken. Check you all later. Have a wonderful day!
  • kittycat707
    kittycat707 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi. I have been weighing my food for like 8 months with digital scale, measuring cups and spoons. I also like the prepackaged stuff cause it was already weighed and calories counted. until.......one day i opened a can of tuna and actually weighed it and it was less than what was suppose to be there, so I started opening everything and weighing measureing and you might be surprised, If you eat microwave popcorn,,,, next time actually measure it,,,,surprise you have some extra calories left over:smile:
  • kittycat707
    kittycat707 Posts: 8 Member
    I have 4 kids and they love spaghetti and mac and cheese so when i want to treat myself (which is like 1 day a week) i will weigh out my portion of pasta and cook seperate that way I know exactly what Im getting instead of trying to guess when its all put together, yes it makes more dirty dishes but,,,isn't that what their allowance is for?:laugh:
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    I made awesome meatballs and made sure to have the correct serving size for pasta too! It was very satisfying to be able to get a pasta fix without going bust! I plan on making chicken and pasta tonight, so that scale will be coming out again!
  • dadzpeach
    dadzpeach Posts: 174 Member
    oh I measure stuff out, probably way too much... it's an obsession
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Kittycat...LOOOOOOL!!!!!! I love it! Yes, that is what kids are for...I paid my dues of washing dishes from 10 up till now! That was too funny!
    Does anyone when going out to restaurants eat half and doggy bag the rest? How do you manage when going to a friends for dinner at their house? Do you do the mental image: a serving of meat is a deck of cards?

Hungry Girl recommends measuring pre-packaged foods too! Now you gone make me start too!