Things to do in Indianapolis

Options
Tilran
Tilran Posts: 626 Member
Hi All,

I figured this group needs to liven up a bit.

How about everyone puts down their favorite resturants and their favorite things to do in Indianapolis? So we dont get 1 liners...try to give a good detail about each thing you mention without going overboard.

Example:

The Libertine - One of my favorite places in Indy. They serve Tapas style dishes and make amazing cocktails. Their Old fashioned is amazing. The decor is done up like an old speak-easy from the 40s or 50s with the bartenders dressed the part and the resturant looks very sheik and dark. It is not very big so I recommend reservations as they have about 8 tables and about 15 spots at the bar. Their menu changes all the time and so its nice to go every few months or so...but due to the high price, it is not an every weekend thing. :)

Replies

• Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Well, this isn't in Indianapolis itself, but not too far. There is a really hip little restaurant called Bonge's Tavern out in the middle of nowhere (NE of Noblesville about 20 minutes), that is spectacular. I believe a chef left the glass chimney in Carmel and bought this place. It's about $20-$30 a plate. You can't make reservations, unless you have large parties, and in the summertime on weekends people start lining up and tailgating in the parking lot waiting to get in. The menu is fairly small - about 10 items - with a couple of regulars Perkinsville Pork and Harger Duck (my favorite). It's very nice inside - don't let the outside fool you, with a classic look of stained wood everywhere. I once sat 10 feet away from Dallas Clark there, and Peyton had apparently been in a few days before - they both signed the Colts clock on the wall.

http://www.bongestavern.com
  • awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just joined the group today. I'm in the BR area. I'm a fan of oakleys bistro for a date night. Yum! Just went to BRU burger on mass ave this weekend, it was delish and worth going over my calories for the day! :tongue: I made up for it anyways.

Anyone thinking of doing the mini this year? It's on my " bucket" list...or would be if I had one.
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    Just joined the group today. I'm in the BR area. I'm a fan of oakleys bistro for a date night. Yum! Just went to BRU burger on mass ave this weekend, it was delish and worth going over my calories for the day! :tongue: I made up for it anyways.

Anyone thinking of doing the mini this year? It's on my " bucket" list...or would be if I had one.

Hi awilmeri, welcome to the group! I don't think I'll be ready for a half marathon yet when it rolls around. I intend to focus on 5 milers and 10k's next year, so I'm not sure if I'll be interested in the 5k that goes along with it or not. However, the year after next, I may very well participate.
  • Tilran
    Options

I am also in the BR area (Assuming you mean Broadripple). What is Oakley's Bistro? I cant seem to think of where that is.

Around Broadripple I'm a huge fan of Thai Cafe and SideWok cafe (Not really date night places, but delicious)
    Also The Brugge is great.
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    Well, this is obvious, but Pacers games are starting up again, and they can use the support to have an even better season this year and make it to the finals... So, everyone come on down. It's a great team, with some really great guys that are fun to support.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm volunteering with Midwest Fashion Week this week. If that's not a cultural attraction, I don't know what is.

I also enjoy first Friday art gallery walks on Mass Ave.
  • awilmeri
    Options

I am also in the BR area (Assuming you mean Broadripple). What is Oakley's Bistro? I cant seem to think of where that is.

Around Broadripple I'm a huge fan of Thai Cafe and SideWok cafe (Not really date night places, but delicious)
    Also The Brugge is great.
    Yes Broad Ripple

Oakleys is over near 82nd and ditch. It's yum.

I can't go to Brugge...those pomme frites are too tempting. :)
  • Tilran
    Options
    I agree with you. I usually get the frittes when I go...since if I'm there it is probably to treat myself anyway. :) Those aioli sauces are what put them over the top.
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I still haven't been to Oakley's. Not for any real reason, I just haven't made it up there. I love The Libertine, though. I can't wait until Neal gets the Pizzology going in Nora!

For a date night type of thing I highly recommend R Bistro down on Mass Ave. Great food. We tried Black Market (also on Mass Ave) over the summer and it was also very good.

As a beer fan, especially local beer, I enjoy hanging out at some of the breweries. I'm especially fond on Triton over in the Ft. Ben area. Also, Twenty Tap in BR is a great place for a good burger and a some great beer. There is another newer beer place in BR, that I've heard good things about, but I can't remember the name of. For beer & pizza I love Thr3e Wise Men in BR. Traffic sucks, but the food is really good. I haven't been to Brugge in a *long* time... mmmm... mussels and frites....
  • awilmeri
    Options
    I still haven't been to Oakley's. Not for any real reason, I just haven't made it up there. I love The Libertine, though. I can't wait until Neal gets the Pizzology going in Nora!

For a date night type of thing I highly recommend R Bistro down on Mass Ave. Great food. We tried Black Market (also on Mass Ave) over the summer and it was also very good.

As a beer fan, especially local beer, I enjoy hanging out at some of the breweries. I'm especially fond on Triton over in the Ft. Ben area. Also, Twenty Tap in BR is a great place for a good burger and a some great beer. There is another newer beer place in BR, that I've heard good things about, but I can't remember the name of. For beer & pizza I love Thr3e Wise Men in BR. Traffic sucks, but the food is really good. I haven't been to Brugge in a *long* time... mmmm... mussels and frites....

I'll have to take my husband to Triton, I'm not a big beer gal but he loves anything local. He brings home growlers from sunking. We walk to twenty tap from our house...dangerous! I really want to go to the libertine, we will be on the side of town this weekend so maybe. Nom.
  • Tilran
    Options
    Oh yeah Twenty Tap is great...I drool just thinking about the Cheese Curds!!

If you like greek food, I actually think the place next door is great. Sam's Gyros or whatever its called.

I'm curious what place you are talking about that is new in Broadripple....do you mean Sabbatical? They are having some serious growing pains...I'd wait a bit for that place...poor service when busy...slow food times...and the atmosphere is terrible until they can redo it. It sits in the old La Jolla spot and it looks like they dident even TRY to redo it....has a dank bar feel but with the menu of a fancy Tapas place....very contradicting. Also another pet peave is wall mount TVs without in wall wiring...she has the wires running along the wall..blah.

Thre3 wise men is good, but again I prefer Brugge...yummmm
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    Go to Circle Center mall and watch Pacers and superfans go Gangnam Style...

http://youtu.be/9c4hY8mQM6Y