Why Only 1 Deadlift Set?

Options
1ariesgal
1ariesgal Posts: 18 Member
Hi,
A while back I did a modified Starting Strength routine and it had 5 sets of deadlifts. Anyone know why SL doesnt do this? I am planning to add deads. Has anyone else done this?

Thanks!

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Doing 5 sets of squats, and then 5 sets of deadlifts can be really rough on your central nervous system. Plus you can lift more if you only do one set and lifting more is fun.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I do five sets... but I'm pretty bad about following directions.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    When you get to lifting a lot heavier you will see why ladies...
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    When you get to lifting a lot heavier you will see why ladies...

^^^This^^^

When the weights start getting really heavy, you will be THANKFUL there is only 1 set of deads!! :laugh: 1 heavy set is all you'll need trust me...
  • 1ariesgal
    1ariesgal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. When I was lifting before my routine was created by my boyfriend at the time who was a longtime powerlifter. An issue I had was my lower back and the deads really helped it. But there were three different routines, not two and as I think back, on heavier dead days, I had lighter squat days. He created an excel sheet that calculated everything but that computer died. He's gone and so is the routine. That is how I came to 5x5 and I like that I can do it independently.

So far today's workout I did two dead sets. As it gets heavier I will adjust.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You know, I read it, I have the spreadsheet and I STILL was doing 5X5 on the deadlifts... (duh!) Didn't really register that it was only one set.

Since I am already doing it that way... I am sure that eventually I will be glad to have the excuse that it isn't in the program to do that many, But as long as I am in the lower weight ranges and it is still not something that is making me wonder if I can get through the first set, I will continue with the multiple sets, because I enjoy it. I can definitely see the benefit with the heavier weights to not have to do so many though.