breastfeeding moms please help.

Options
I am a breastfeeding mother and I just wanted to ask other breastfeeding moms if you add 500 calories a day to your count or if you go by what MFP recommends when you do your initial assessment? I manually changed my calorie count for each day to adjust for breastfeeding and then it changed my weekly weight loss stats to roughly .7lbs per week projected weight loss rather than 2lb per week which is what I want. Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies

• at206155
    at206155 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    am an exbreastfeeding mother - I fed both my girls for 6-9 months. And I was told only to increase my calories by 100-200 calories a day to help produce milk. The rest can come from the fat laid down during pregnancy. One rule I followed was if I was hungry, I ate. As much as you want to lose weight, you need to be healthy to mind your baby and you need to be healthy to keep up your supply. Drink lots of water, (specially during feeding, I used to get really thirsty!!) and eat good food!! If your energy levels are dropping - eat more, sleep more and take it easy!!

Take care and don't stress too much!
  • Jenny1437
    Jenny1437 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am also breastfeeding my 4 month old. But i adjusted my calories only by
    300 instead of 500. But i did mine lower so i wont want to eat so much and
    Use all 500. But i have noticed the extra 300 with working out is more then enough
    Calories for the day. Good luck
  • elainagoins
    elainagoins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    when I was breastfeeding and tracking on MFP, I kept my stats the same and under the FOOD Data Base I typed in Exclusively Breastfeeding and it added my calories to each day. When I want to part time, there were also options for that. I never used my additional calories but i did add it each day instead of changing any defauts. Hope that helps.
  • smartblonde529
    smartblonde529 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Whatever MFP told me I needed, I added 300-500 calories to that depending if I was exclusively nursing or supplementing with food. I adjusted mine to the higher calorie amount but I have heard people added breastfeeding in as a food and it would subtract calories from your total. I would try that and see if it helps. I breastfed both my babies and lost weight while doing so so feel free to send me a friend request or message me if you have any questions. The more support and motivation we have the better!