When do YOU notice your own weight loss?

Options
Moe4572
Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
so, I have lost almost 40 lbs since mid June, but I don't see it. I see that my clothes don't fit....had to have some things taken in, and others just eliminated from my wardrobe completely, but to see changes I don't see them. People have commented that I "look great", "can really see a difference", but I don't "see" --physically see it........when does that happen? I am guessing it depends on size you start out at, but with others seeing a difference, I expect to see a difference soon?????????

Replies

• jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I tend to see it pretty quickly. If you lost 40 pounds you need to really look at yourself. GOt to the bathroom (at your house lol) strip down and truely exam your naked body in the mirror. Is that your collar bone you see. Dont your thighs look thinner to oyu. Having been fat a long time we train ourselves not to really see ourselves. The best way to fix this is to exam your body. Also look at some old pictures of you at your heaviest and some much more current ones. There is a difference there you have just trained your self not to really see yourself :flowerforyou:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    This is one of the main reason to do before and during pictures. When I was starting out I always took new pictures every 6 weeks and compared them to the rest. Also by wearing the baggy clothes it will hide your results.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I wore the same clothes for the first 25 pounds I lost pretty much. They weren't quite as stretched out, but the big difference for me was in my face. I tend to lose from the top down (gravity!!!). The next weight to come off meant a size change, so it has been very noticeable once I got to the point that I was only 30-35 pounds above goal. The last 15 pounds has been with me tracking carefully with measurements as well, not just the scale, so weekly, I was seeing changes while doing the 30 DS and Ripped in 30 that I couldn't see in the mirror.
  • SweetBasil35
    SweetBasil35 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've lost close to 40lbs and I see it now... and LOVE it. I've lost a lot of weight in my face, thank God. :drinker:

You may notice it more in pictures of yourself...that's how I noticed at first.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight the first time, I noticed it when I worked out and the celluite wasn't so bad on my legs.
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Honestly Moe, I think its different for everybody. I've been working on bettering myself for a year or so, and for the first time I looked in the mirror the other day and my first thought was "wow, you look small!". I can't say I've EVER had that thought before. I've also had people at work telling me how I look "skinny" or how good I look. It's taken some of these things and my own thoughts for me to really start believing it and seeing it on my own. It takes our heads a while to catch up with our bodies in terms of seeing the changes, but it will happen. And CONGRATS!!!! :drinker:
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I think some of it is being critical of yourself. I have spurts when I can really see it and others when I don't. I see things like my ribs sticking out a little or my collar bones. I can remember brushing my teeth and actually looking at my face and saying damn I have a jaw line or my cheeks look smaller, etc. All of those things are rare though.

If you really want to see it though, put 5 pounds back on. Then you'll be like holy crap look how big my face and my gut are. My love handles are nearly double the size they were last week.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Pictures help!
    Get an old picture or yourself close up and full body and take one today.
    Sometimes our heads take awhile to play catch up
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I want to also add that in the first 30 pounds or so that I lost, I didn't really notice a difference while exercising. Now, I feel like I don't quite jiggle nearly as much, if you know what I mean! :wink: I feel so different on the treadmill now and it makes me feel so good about doing the exercise once I get started.
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Now, I feel like I don't quite jiggle nearly as much, if you know what I mean! :wink:

Me too!!! Quite nice, eh?? :happy:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I have good days and bad days. The first time it really clicked with me was when I lost 100 lbs. I was on 6 different medications to control all the weight related health issues I had. 5 different pills plus an injection I needed daily to control type II diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and one to help protect my kidney from possible side effects of taking so many medications. As I kept losing weight, improving my fitness and health my doctor was happy with my progress that he began weaning me off the meds. I was finally off of everything when I lost 100 lbs. I didn't need to take anything anymore and that really hit me.

Other times I noticed was when one of my favorite t-shirts, a 4XL Sesame Street S-Unit "The Original Hood" with all the characters from the show, was too big for me to wear in public. :laugh: It's pretty much a night gown on me. Big & Tall 2XL sizes are starting to be just a little too big for me now. I consistently have a hard time buying 1XL size because I keep thinking in my mind that it won't fit. It does but just a teeny bit snug in most cases.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Moe, Congrats, you're doing such a great job! :flowerforyou:
    I agree that you should find some old photos, you might just surprise yourself. Also, start tracking inches lost if you haven't already - it really helps!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I notice most when Im dancing around naked. I started dancing around naked when I'd lost 60 pounds and got to 200. After that - I only noticed changes at every 5 - 8 pound loss.

Then I hit 170 and I notice changes every single month because of lifting, but havent lost more weight in 2 years (as of the end of this month)
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's almost like you wake up one morning and go... "Holy ****. Is that MY body?" You'll start noticing it soon enough. You're doing soooo well!
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I see it when I go shopping because my old clothes don't fit and I go down sizes!
    I see my stomach not as round.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    thanks All!! Hopefully I will start to see it soon....I was looking at pics over the weekend, and some pics I can see a little bit of a change but not too much.

And, for those that asked or suggested measuring--I do get measured every other week, and have lost 40.75 inches as of last week....they measure upper arms, bust, waist, high hip, low hip, and thigh.