HAIR!

Options
Kempossible
Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
New to this group. Thought it would be great to have support of my sisters! I was just curious as to what everyone is doing with their hair as it relates to exercise? I just recently got Tree Braids. I was tired of washing my hair 3 to 4 times a week, blowdrying then flat ironing :( Just curious to know if anyone else is having problems in this area and have found a solution. I'm thinking about getting a sew in next for convience and to give my hair a break. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• mrndpalmer
    mrndpalmer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have relaxed hair and during workouts I either wrap my hair with a satin scarf or ponytail it. Unfortunately I do have to wash and condition my hair once a week. I keep it moisturizes and sealed daily, which help maintain the softness and straight looks that I wear.
  • fittyfittybumbum
    Options
    Hey. I have natural hair, and have no problems with it working out.. During the week my hair is in some type of protective styling, usually two-strand twist. I like them the best because I can tie them back in a ponytail and the style lasts the longest (mon-fri). Even on Sundays aka Wash Days, I begin those with hot oil treatments. After putting the oil on my head and sitting under a dryer for 10min, I seal the edges of the shower cap with a scarf, put on a hat, and go workout.
  • Msdjt75
    Msdjt75 Posts: 24
    Options
    I wear Sisterlocks, so I have no problem either...I also am a consultant in Boston if anyone wants them, www.knottygirlbynature.com I am also on facebook!:happy:
  • DivaTKG
    DivaTKG Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OMG....I am struggling in this area. I am transitioning to natural and like to work out in the morning before work. The only issue is the combination of the steam from the shower and the sweat from my work out is destroying my curls. I have tried flexirods, satin rollers, two-strand twists and I am still forced to use heat on my hair. Right now, I feel like I am forced to work out after work, but I really enjoy the energy boost that my morning work out gives me. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  • Thickhoney
    Options
    I was major gym beast in 2010; I am returning to beast status now, but consider this from previous experience: In the transition from relaxer, then to keratin treatment (<<<I don't recommend this! I ended up with a lot of damage and hair loss) and working my way through to my natural goods, I rocked the sad ponytail. :) Morning workouts are the BEST--gets the day started right and you have your workout for the day knocked out, without risk of not getting it done because you are tired, have errands, etc. However, time for hair styling and also added heat made the morning workout a hard-to-do. Given that I was transitioning to natural hair and needed to grow out the processed hair, i just figured that me and the rusty ponytail was my day look most days; I saved the actual cute hair style (see blowout) for the weekend. Braids were my favorite alternative, although both the ponytail and braids are tough on the hairline

The net? Hair is part of the workout struggle, but you will find a routine and style that works for you. Just stay at it sister.
  • got_BluEgo
    got_BluEgo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    im 9 months post but thank goodness i dont have to worry about my hair ... it stays braided/bunned up the majority of the time. I'm currently in Senegalese twists for the next 8wks
  • sistahsolda
    sistahsolda Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey Sistahs!

So my hair is transitioning as I try to reduce harsh chemicals. I have been natural for about ten years now. I am apart of this hair group. My hair does well with Jojoba oil. I have tried eveything else that this the only thing that works.

My Question:

We have been trained since childhood to wrap our hair up at night with a scarf. Now some sistah's say a silk scarf is better than a cloth one? Does the cloth one thin your hair? If I do not wrap my hair I will have knots. The middle of of my head itches, and I know I moisturize it. It is thinning in the middle. Any thoughts?