Is this race series a realistic goal for me?

nermal6873
nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
Hi all! There's a race series in February that I want to try, but wanting some input if it might be too much. The series consists of:
February 23: 15 K race followed by a 5K (2.5 hours between start times) and
February 24: 1/2 marathon followed by an 8K (3 hours between start times, so more like doing 18 miles at once)
So, about 30 miles, but over the course of 2 days.

My background: Started C25K March of 2012. Right now am training for my first half (11/18)-longest training run 12.5 miles this weekend. Short runs during the week total 7-9 miles. No problems with injuries, etc. Half training has gone really well.

Does this sound like I'm biting off too much? Or does this sound reasonable? When talking with some friends, they've said I'm crazy for considering it, but they're not runners, so they may not understand. I don't think its too much (once I train, of course), given that its over the course of 2 days, but I'm also still a newer runner. Thoughts?

Replies

• Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    I think it is realistic! You should so do it! Besides, I know you have a half coming up, then you can recover and start increasing your mileage a bit from there.... lots of time til March :happy:

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Honestly, I think it is a bit much. Sounds like a good setup for injuries! I would get more time as a runner under my belt - like a year. But I have only been doing this 9 months, and ran my first half last month. So I am not a veteran.
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Way too much I would do 15k one day 5k the next at most. If your total week day run equals 9 miles that means Max your week is 21.5 miles thats low for that type of distance in a weekend, like more than you do in a week! I run 21-25 miles a weeks and I couldnt do that!!
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    I think you could probably do it - with a caveat.

You are going to have to train.

With proper training you should be able to do. Following a 16 week marathon training program might be a good way to structure your training. If you can, consult a running coach and get advice on how to train and best prepare, but plan on doing 4-6 days of running a week including 1 long run. Probably exactly what you've already been doing for your half-marathon. :-)
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Thanks for the responses so far :smile:
    Way too much I would do 15k one day 5k the next at most. If your total week day run equals 9 miles that means Max your week is 21.5 miles thats low for that type of distance in a weekend, like more than you do in a week! I run 21-25 miles a weeks and I couldnt do that!!

I guess my thoughts are, 15K + 5K is the same distance (actually, a little less) than a half, which I'm almost done training for. Would your thoughts be different if I was running halfs (halves?) already and wanting to step up to this within the next 4 months? Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to clarify. :flowerforyou: I figure, I would just keep training after my half and continue adding milage.
    I think you could probably do it - with a caveat.

You are going to have to train.

With proper training you should be able to do. Following a 16 week marathon training program might be a good way to structure your training. If you can, consult a running coach and get advice on how to train and best prepare, but plan on doing 4-6 days of running a week including 1 long run. Probably exactly what you've already been doing for your half-marathon. :-)
    This was kind of what I was thinking. And I guess I wasn't quite clear in OP- I totally understand that this would require continued training-certainly not the kind of thing I could just get out there and do. I like the idea about consulting a running coach-how do you find one?
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    This was kind of what I was thinking. And I guess I wasn't quite clear in OP- I totally understand that this would require continued training-certainly not the kind of thing I could just get out there and do. I like the idea about consulting a running coach-how do you find one?

I figured as much since you are training for your half marathon. I think our bodies can do amazing things with the proper training and a little luck (not getting injured). I am in training for my first marathon and went from being able to run a half marathon distance to being able to run 20 miles in 11 weeks of training (and hopefully 26.2 in 16 weeks). So from my own personal experience I would say go for it! At least try.

Finding a running coach - I think it depends on where you live. But I would ask around/look at local running specialty stores (the kind with proper shoe fitting ect. - not the Foot Lockers, or Modell's sports type), local track clubs, local running groups, Yelp.com, local gyms or the YMCA, runners magazine online, local race organizers, even google.com.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    My suggestion would be to wait until you've run your half and see how feel the next day. Personally I think the split start times may actually make it harder as you have time to cool down between races - I'd rather run 20km continuously than taking a break (but that's just me).

If you do decide to go for it I would certainly suggest that day 1 be approached as a long slow distance kind of day so you have some gas left in the tank for the 24th.

Who ever came up with this series is definitely a sadist! :laugh: :laugh:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    I think two days in a row will be pretty tough in this timeframe. If you want to do it I recommend you start doing back to back long runs on some weekends (like 15 on Sat and 10 to 12 on Sun)
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    I am running a half in two weeks and then an 8K a week later and am thinking of getting my head examined because of that! The only reason I am doing the 8K is because I promised my sister I would run it with her and she in a new runner. I should have looked at my schedule a little better before committing. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I think scottb81 has it right. Try some back to back long runs and see how you do. I am too old for that. Good luck~~~:flowerforyou:
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    I think if your total weekly miles for a half is 21.5 I think you may be under training I run 21-25 miles a week in prep for a 10k I can't imagine that for a half! Unless I miss read and you run 7 miles per short run
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I am running a half in two weeks and then an 8K a week later and am thinking of getting my head examined because of that! The only reason I am doing the 8K is because I promised my sister I would run it with her and she in a new runner. I should have looked at my schedule a little better before committing. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I think scottb81 has it right. Try some back to back long runs and see how you do. I am too old for that. Good luck~~~:flowerforyou:

Unless you're older than Faluja Singh (ran a marathon at 100) or Ed Whitlock (ran a 3:30 marathon at 82 this past weekend) you're not too old! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Yes a girl has to have a goal. Do it! Push the endurance. Only commit if you really have the time to train for it. No injuries and stay well. You first not the race. But it sounds like a good weekend.

Good Luck. :smile:
  • kywh
    kywh Posts: 46 Member
    You should be able to do it. Just listen to your body and don't push through any major pain (there'll be pain no matter what with that much running!!), but pay attention to anything that seems different in terms of pain. Your plan sounds a lot like what the Ragnar Relay is. You should check it out if you haven't heard of it.