Breastfeeding question with calorie count

Options
I am new to this website and excited to bust my tush to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I wish I could say I gained the "normal" 35 pounds but I hit almost 90. EK! My OB really began to crack down on my toward the last 2 months about my unhealthy eating patterns. Currently my son is 7 weeks old and I am breastfeeding and formula feeding.
Question:
Is there anywhere on this website to put in that I am breastfeeding so that the website takes into consideration the extra needed calories?

Also, I would love to be buddies with any new moms -- I will need all the motivation I can get during this weight loss journey, lol. (I have a wedding to be in in 12 months -- I am determined to loose this weight!)

Good luck to all the new moms! <3

Replies

• Gaiasmum
    Gaiasmum Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    heya! under exercise theres a breastfeeding option. I think if your fully breast feeding you need a extra 500 cals if thats any help
  • Lilylove86
    Lilylove86 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am currently bf only my 5 week old son and every morning I add breastfeeding in my breakfast ( search in foods). I use the 500 cal one since I don't bottle feed yet. I've set to lose 1 pound a week so that gives me about 2100 cals a day to eat. I also gained a lot of weight while pregnant and I'm working on losing it now, one day at a time. Feel free to add me as a friend!!! Good luck
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    both of those are options with mfp. I do the second (add it to my breakfast foods list).
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I started out using the exercise option, but switched to the food option (Making Mommy's Milk - Breastfeeding -500 Cal Per Day). The main reason was that the exercise option changed the calories as my weight fluctuated. It took me a while to figure that one out. I was ready to quit logging it since it was so frustrating.

But now, I am following IPOARM (search for it on MFP) and have incorporated the calories into the plan and don't have to log it (or any other exercise, for that matter) and am much happier for it.
  • brittney1211
    brittney1211 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm not a brand new mommy- my son is 9.5 months old. I just stopped pumping recently. But I found that when I was newly b-feeding everyone told me around 500 calories. But, after digging quite a bit, I found that was on the high end. I know on WW, which I'm not currently doing, they gave me 11 extra points for b-feeding only. If you're F-Feeding and B-Feeding then they give you 7 extra points. I also gained about 90 lbs. HOLY COW- how did that happen, right?! I literally lost 26 pounds (my son was 7.11) in the first week. Let's just say I was pufffffy.

And 12 months is plenty of time. I was in weddings only 3 months and 7 months after I had my baby- it was cruel. Just remember the most important part of this journey is being healthy for your son.
  • Aphrodite3010
    Aphrodite3010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I dont know if I'm just blind but I cant seem to find the option to tell it I'm breastfeeding, can someone guide me?

I am EPing and producing about 60-65 oz daily and am 8 weeks pp.

Thanks!
  • 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Just type breastfeeding into food search engine and you'll see all the different options for it. Then add it to one of your meals and it will deduct the calories.
  • amayaasn
    amayaasn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been taking it off through adding it as exercise as I wanted to keep on the low end of the calories I could burn through nursing. I feel kind of guilty everyday I add that as exercise though. So I am looking for suggestions on what to do. This is my second baby, first gained 50 lost it all within 4-5 months. Gained 15 back over 6 months, and pregnant this time, but only gained 27. 9 weeks post partum im down 24 pounds. Almost to 2nd pre preg weight but wanna get down even further than 1st pre preg weight. Seemed like last time it came off faster than it has this time, but im still losing so im not complaining yet. I will try the negative calories as my breakfast and see how that goes. Thanks.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding burns 20 calories per ounce. So 25 ounces= 500 calories and 30=600. I EP (pump) so I add it as an exercise because I know how many calories I burned.

I gained 70 pounds with my twins 6 years ago and never got rid of all of it. I started MFP 4 months ago after I had my youngest and just wasn't losing anything. I'm down over 40 pounds now! Went from "still stuck in maternity pants" to a size 10 which is more exciting than the weight loss itself :)
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I'm only 2 weeks post-pregnancy and gained 50+ lbs with my son. I've lost 26 lbs in these two weeks but I know the other half is going to take some effort! I have another couple of weeks before I can do anything strenuous. Right now I'm just walking and watching my calories. I am EPing as well.
  • ekmp636
    ekmp636 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just curious what "IPOARM" is, and where I search for it on MFP? I'm trying to get the whole calories thing figured out for BF this time around, because I don't seem to be doing something right (been stuck at the same weight for at least a month now, probably closer to two), and it's getting really frustrating. Last time around, I lost the weight that I gained quicker, and didn't really hit this dang plateau (it was a gradual weight loss, but at least it was consistent!).