• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Haha. Don't forget the aussie accent :tongue:

*swoon*
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel like the term "American accent" is a bit too broad? Americans have accents and cultural slang that vary from state to state. Californian (what I got stuck with :frown: ), Texan, New England, New York! I think people think of west coast when they think of "American" accents, and I blame Hollywood for that.

Same as Britain, we have many, many different regional accents. Even London has different accents, ranging from East - cockney to West -Queens. I've been told by an American that I sound like an Australian!! :noway:

I think I could definitely tell a NY Bronx accent. Also, a Southern twang. Jim explained the North accent but I cant really hear the difference and I certainly can't tell American from Canadian!! :huh:

(ducking from SB** :wink: )

You just need a canadian to say "out and about ". Becomes obvious straight away hahaha.

Ive had Ámericans ask me if I was British, truth is, most of them have no frickin idea. Im pretty sure there is no way I sound British at all
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    *kitten*!

I leave this thread for a few minutes and the Canada bashing starts?! :laugh:

Okay. We actually have some regional accents as well (I'm not even touching the whole French thing), though they tend to be slightly more subtle than our southern or English neighbours. Except for Newfoundland. Yup..they do speak differently.

As for out and and about / ooot and aboot, perhaps it is more an eastern Canada thing? Not sure I sound like that. I do say "eh" though, wear a touque in winter, use a serviette at fancy meals and like to relax on my chesterfield now and then while watching hockey. (Actually I don't use serviette or chesterfield, but I understand these are supposed to be Canadian words?)

I am probably not the best representative for Canada however.. my father still has a strong accent and I grew up with all of the English slang, food and references as well.

Sorry..what was this thread even about? Oh yes. I crashed it. Am not a UK single.
    Does it help I find the accent delicious and the witty banter even moreso?
    I LOVE flirting with English guys. They know how to insult oh so well..
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I must confess that a refined New England or Southern accent can make me pretty weak at the knees... Then again, some European accents have that effect too :wink: . I guess it's the allure of the 'other' - something that seems a little exotic!