Living situations

Options
Last night my friends and I were talking about guys and girls being roommates.
My friend has a guy roommate and he had brought a girl over and once she found out he had a girl roommate the girl flipped out on him. The only way she found out was she was loooking at pictures on the wall and asked which guy was his roommate. How do you feel about someone you are dating having a roommate of the opposite sex?

The three of us were fine with a guy having a girl roommate as long as they told us about it. If they try to hide it for some reason it sets off red flags.

Replies

• shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I dated a guy with a female roommate. It didn't bother me at all. The apartment was nicely decorated! :D

Like you said, it's cool if they tell you about it. But if it seems like they're hiding something, then there would be red flags.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Seems silly that she flipped out, personally. He obviously wasn't trying to hide anything or he wouldn't have brought her home. And it appears that in his mind it is no big deal.

I think the issue is moot for me, though. I think I would find it a bit weird if anyone I wanted to date had a roommate of either gender.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    It depends on the situation - a year ago I was laid off for 13 months and a friend who lived in a 3 bedroom house on his own (bachelor) let me move in until I could get back on my feet. He met a girl and a month later I was booted out without explanation. I come to find out she had a fit when she found out I was living there and he chose her - only to have her dump him a month later. I moved back in with my parents a state away for 3 months until I found a job back in the same city as said friend.

I don't understand why people would even care - if you can't trust the person you are dating then why are you even dating them? My friend and I were very close (best friends without an attraction, either way), and he was doing me a huge favor. When I found out that he took her side over mine it really wrecked the friendship...
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Well for the not trusting people this is usually for early in the relationship not one that has been long term. You can't say you trust every guy you meet right away. So on the first couple dates they go out of their way to not mention they have a female roomate in normal conversation it is a red flag to me.
    One of my friends is talking to a guy from POF and he has a odd roommate situation where he lives with a girl but says he will never bring a girl into the house and hasn't in the 5 years they have lived together. My friend asked him if even if he was in a steady relationship would he not bring his GF his place and he said no he wouldn't bring them to his place. This made us think he was living at home with a family member, which again in this day and age is no problem if you admit it.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    The gender of someone's flat/housemates wouldn't bother me at all, unless a) he/she went out of their way to hide that they shared with a member of the opposite gender (which would make me wonder why) or b) it became obvious upon meeting the flatmate that he/she was dying to drag my partner into bed/a liplock at the first possible opportunity/vulnerable moment or sign of weakness!

Despite what people often say, I firmly believe that men and women can have purely platonic friendships, even at close quarters. I've shared flats with several males, including some I can objectively see were/are very attractive men, but never had the slightest inclination to do anything sexual with them in any way, shape or form. Nor did any of them ever make a move on me.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    It is a source of potential drama as we've already seen.

I know that I would not be enamored of that situation.

I think Kristen's point makes a lot of sense.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I had a male roommate for a few years in my 20s. I also had a long term BF at the time and it was never a problem.
    My friend asked him if even if he was in a steady relationship would he not bring his GF his place and he said no he wouldn't bring them to his place. This made us think he was living at home with a family member, which again in this day and age is no problem if you admit it.

Or a wife! :noway: If everyone is up front about what's going on and trusting then it's fine. It's when things are hidden that there could be serious problems.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    I had a male roommate for a few years in my 20s. I also had a long term BF at the time and it was never a problem.

There's a slight difference there, at least how I interpret those words. When the male roommate arrangement started, you and the bf were already an established couple. In theory, the trust should be there, but we know that theories don't always play out well in real life.

There's a lot that goes into it. I just perceive the potential for drama to be there, and I try to do as much as I can to avoid drama. Certain drama is unavoidable though.

Despite my limited to no drama stance in real life, I actually do like dramas on the big and small screens. Safer distance.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    My friend asked him if even if he was in a steady relationship would he not bring his GF his place and he said no he wouldn't bring them to his place. This made us think he was living at home with a family member, which again in this day and age is no problem if you admit it.

Or a wife! :noway: If everyone is up front about what's going on and trusting then it's fine. It's when things are hidden that there could be serious problems.

My first thought was a wife as well.....the guy could make the girl think he is on up and up by admitting he lives with a female, but in fact the female he lives with...he is also married to. Hate to think on pessimist side, but also realistic?
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options

My first thought was a wife as well.....the guy could make the girl think he is on up and up by admitting he lives with a female, but in fact the female he lives with...he is also married to. Hate to think on pessimist side, but also realistic?

Yeah she isn't pursuing anything with this guy as it took a couple converstations for him to even admit his roommate was a girl. What set up the initial red flag on that one was he kept saying "my roommate" not using him or her.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I agree drama, in general, is very avoidable. I think it depends on if you let it get the best of you. I too avoid it like the plague. I'm not fond of things that get in the way of my routine. Some people tend to thrive on it. It makes me stressed and irritable.

That being said, life "issues" tend to rear their ugly heads. I didn't see my lay off happening - I had been gainfully employed that company for 4 years and one day I was let go because their business plan was going another way and my skill set wasn't needed. At the time, my friend and I both were "very single", not even dating so sharing the house while I looked for work didn't seem to be that big of a deal. I can kind of see a person being concerned of the situation but if it was me, I would have choosen the friend over the new "love interest".
  • DMZ_1
    Options

In older age cohorts, this could be a thought. There are a lot of zombie marriages out there right now. These marriages are effectively corpses, but since the real estate market is so bad, selling a house isn't always feasible. Since the house is theoretically the biggest asset, there are couples who are still living together because they can't afford to separate.

This arrangement would make it real difficult to date.

This is a tangent off the original thought, but something to be aware of.

Housing. :grumble:
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options

There's a slight difference there, at least how I interpret those words. When the male roommate arrangement started, you and the bf were already an established couple. In theory, the trust should be there, but we know that theories don't always play out well in real life.

There's a lot that goes into it. I just perceive the potential for drama to be there, and I try to do as much as I can to avoid drama. Certain drama is unavoidable though.

Despite my limited to no drama stance in real life, I actually do like dramas on the big and small screens. Safer distance.

I see the drama potential here, but if someone were going to throw a fit about a roommate-I think the drama could be created out of anything. Some of us are more prone to it than others- I sometimes think actual circumstances don't have a lot to do with it. Roommate or not- probably same outcome.

I had a male roommate in my 20's. My future ex husband was working in Europe, and all was good. It was actually pretty awesome.

I have a hard time seeing where someone in a newish relationship feels like it's their place to criticize/create drama/ give ultimatums about someone's living situation. If something like this made me upset enough to question the relationship, I hope I'd realize that it's either my insecurity and deal with it, or if it were an actual issue- I'd walk away vs. trying to control something that really wasn't mine to control.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I currently have a male roommate, and for the past few years only once have I been in a living situation where there wasn't a male living under the same roof. The relationship status ranged from single to divorced to married to LTR. It has never bothered me if someone I'm dating has a roommate of any gender, it's not even on my radar. Hell, before this group I didn't even realize it was a big deal. If I was dating someone and he threw a b*tch fit because my roommate is male, that would tell me that he's insecure and drama ridden and I'd drop him like a bad habit.
  • pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm currently living with a guy and he has a girlfriend. It's no big deal; they were dating before we moved in & we've all been friends for years. Plus, we're all in our last semester of the MBA program so we work together a lot and his girlfriend is over all the time. She knows there's no attraction between us and he's like a spoiled baby brother to me.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I've lived with females in 4 different situations. One was a girlfriend, so that doesn't count but the others all worked out pretty well, none of my dates ever seemed to have a problem with it. Living with females is great when you're single because it's a good way to meet other girls, assuming she has friends.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    So on the first couple dates they go out of their way to not mention they have a female roomate in normal conversation it is a red flag to me.

I probably wouldn't mention something like this on the first couple dates and wouldn't blame a guy for not mentioning it. If we've been on 5-6 dates or something then, yeah, I would wonder why he hadn't said anything. But the first couple dates I look at it as just fact-finding "are you and I compatible enough to pursue a relationship." I wouldn't drop such a bomb that early on.

That said...

Military folks have opposite gender roommates all the time so, while I (personally) wouldn't do it, it wouldn't bother me as long as he was upfront about it.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    So on the first couple dates they go out of their way to not mention they have a female roomate in normal conversation it is a red flag to me.

I probably wouldn't mention something like this on the first couple dates and wouldn't blame a guy for not mentioning it. If we've been on 5-6 dates or something then, yeah, I would wonder why he hadn't said anything. But the first couple dates I look at it as just fact-finding "are you and I compatible enough to pursue a relationship." I wouldn't drop such a bomb that early on.

That said...

Military folks have opposite gender roommates all the time so, while I (personally) wouldn't do it, it wouldn't bother me as long as he was upfront about it.

I think it depends too though - I wouldn't mention it unless I was reminded of a funny thing my roommate and I did, I wouldn't feel the need to bring it up because I don't consider it a "dealbreaker".

That being said, I wouldn't hide it. If I was dating someone and they intentionally hid information that would make me distrust them whether I considered the info they hid important or not. It's deception that I have a problem with, not what gender they live with.
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options

That said...

I think it depends too though - I wouldn't mention it unless I was reminded of a funny thing my roommate and I did, I wouldn't feel the need to bring it up because I don't consider it a "dealbreaker".

That being said, I wouldn't hide it. If I was dating someone and they intentionally hid information that would make me distrust them whether I considered the info they hid important or not. It's deception that I have a problem with, not what gender they live with.

Talking about where you live and if you own or rent usually comes up in the first couples dates, at least for me. This sometimes leads to talk of roommates.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Talking about where you live and if you own or rent usually comes up in the first couples dates, at least for me. This sometimes leads to talk of roommates.

I might ask where someone lives, but I actually try to stay away from anything that will lead to discussions of status/money (rent vs buy, whether you live in a nice apt or a ghetto one). I don't even really like to talk about jobs. But that's also because 9 times out of 10 it backfired on me once the guy found out MY details.

For the first couple of dates I try to stick to hobbies, family, travel. The guy might bring up what he does and where he lives, and I'll ask questions and be interested, but I shy away from asking those kinds of questions b/c I don't want him to ask me.