Calcium Secret

Hi All

What is the secret of getting enough calcium in your diet? I am not doing very well since cutting out fish and dairy. I would be very grateful for any tips.

Maryjean xx

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Lots of dark greens.

Or fortified sources like calcium infused orange juices or nut milks, or taking a plant based calcium supplement.
  • maryjean123
    maryjean123 Posts: 5 Member
    Many thanks for taking the time to respond. I was getting worried but this has now resolved the issue.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    If the green aren't doing enough (or you can't consume that much greens a day like me), you have alternate choices too.

You can purchase calcium supplements if it is a concern to you. I personally take multi-vitamins that supplement my diet and take the occasional Emergen-C packet for calcium and vitamin D (http://www.vitacost.com/alacer-emergen-c-vitamin-d-and-calcium-fizzy-drink-mix). One packet provides 50mg calcium (50% daily value).

I found that without supplementation, my typical daily diet only provided 20-30mg of calcium without consciously trying to reach optimum calcium intake. You can use MFP to track your diet over the course of a week and find out how much you'd like to supplement each day and figure out a plan of action from there.
  • jodibefitvegan
    jodibefitvegan Posts: 10 Member
    Chia seeds are a great source of calcium AND omega 3 fatty acids. if you google ground chia seed chocolate pudding, there is a great recipe.

I think it's 1 1/2TBS chia, 1 1/2 cups almond milk, 4 or 5 pitted dates, 2 TBS raw cacao powder, dash of vanilla (optional). Blend until smooth and chill in fridge before eating. It thickens fast so get it out of the blender or it'll be a challenge:-)
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    I was doing well with calcium until I gave up the soy/nut milks. Now I have a vegan calcium supplement that takes care of 50% of my daily value, & I can get the rest with dark leafy greens & fortified orange juice in a smoothie each day, along with my other whole foods. I definitely had to have the supplement though to take care of that first 50%.
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Chia seeds are a great source of calcium AND omega 3 fatty acids. if you google ground chia seed chocolate pudding, there is a great recipe.

I think it's 1 1/2TBS chia, 1 1/2 cups almond milk, 4 or 5 pitted dates, 2 TBS raw cacao powder, dash of vanilla (optional). Blend until smooth and chill in fridge before eating. It thickens fast so get it out of the blender or it'll be a challenge:-)

Thanks for this what an awesome way to get your calcium!!