Holidays

Options
kathim429
kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
I have been avoiding any thought about the holidays this year. When my ex and I split it was Labor Day of 2007. The only two holidays left in that year were Thanksgiving and Christmas. We came up with the not so brilliant idea that we would split our holidays by year, even or odd numbered. I got all holidays on odd numbered years, except for Father's Day and he would have even numbered years except for Mother's Day.

Well, being an even number year, I have my kids for NO holidays this year. We used to live about 30 minutes from their dad, but now we are three hours away. I am absolutely dreading the holidays. I would love to avoid them altogether, I know I can't but that would be my choice.

Have to figure out a way to get through it...

Replies

• Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Maybe visit some friends??? Where do you live?

Volunteering. I work for The Salvation Army and there are always great volunteer opportunities.

The truth is, I would die a little on the inside if I didn't have D for the holidays. His father pretty much hates them, made that time of year fun when we were together lol, so I don't have to worry too much.
  • kathim429
    Options
    When I lived closer to their dad, he usually sent them home the same day because he is the same way. but now that we are 3 hours away that isn't as an easy option. I love the volunteering idea. I am going to look into it!

I live in Williamsport, PA, kind of in the middle of the state...
  • tlp148
    tlp148 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    After 9 years of the holiday flips with kids and dad, I have discovered the past several years I am looking forward to "my time with the kids" and "my time without the kids". For years I would hang around my parents house, eat, drink, watch tv and nap. Now I make special plans with friends I don't get to see much, plan outings, hikes, train trips to Chicago (I live in central IL). Usually I will plan crazy Black Friday shopping with my cousin just because we can, with nothing special to purchase and we make it an all-nighter...just because we can. It is great to watch everyone else shop like frantic ants. This year I may have a ceremony and sacrifice all my "big" clothes. A closet clean out is much overdue.
    Try to find a new way to approach the holidays. Don't look at them as being without the kids. Make a list of things you would love to do, see, accomplish. Look at the holidays as gaining some super special well deserved YOU time. I wish I was closer to you. We could surely find some fun or trouble to get in to. LOL!
  • kathim429
    Options
    I may have to do something like that...I would love to get away. I usually use my time that the kids are away catching up on house stuff or groceries etc. I like the volunteering idea and maybe a short little trip somewhere would be nice. Maybe I will have to start saving some money for a trip!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    My ex lives 12 hours away, so I've tried to make things best for the kids. Because of that, the ex has the option of having them for all school breaks. He's had them for 2 of 3 of the last Christmas's. Because I usually have the kids 24/7, I just take advantage of the "me" time. I usually go to dinner every night, catching up with each of my friends. Then I volunteer at the homeless shelter on Christmas Day, followed by chinese takeout and dvds (so I can avoid the Christmas movies on tv). The kids and I have our own special Christmas the day after they come home. We do it up full, just as if they had been here on the actual day. :)