"Better than nothing" workouts

Options
stellcorb
stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
So, I was wondering if any of you lovely ladies could give me some advice or motivation on getting out of my "better than nothing" work-out routine rut...
My baby just turned 4 months and I have a 3 year old toddler and I've been back to full time (over time) job for a bit over a month now. I've been proud of myself for keeping up a 5-6 day workout regimin of 30-40 minutes of the Elliptical throughout my pregnancy... but now my body is craving longer and more intense workouts... but I can't find the time (or the energy it takes to wake up at 5 AM to make time). I'm not stuck on getting down to my pre-preggo weight quickly but I'd like to feel stronger, lift more and throw in some more intense cardio.
Do you ladies have any success stories or advice on breaking out of a mediocre workout routine with out sacrificing significant family time, milk supply and engery to do the other 5 million things that need to be done on a daily basis?

Replies

• mcglothinm
    mcglothinm Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have kids about the same age as yours (baby is 5 months, toddler will be 3 in Feb), and after trying to work out at home while on maternity leave, I just had to admit it wasn't happening for me. I decided to join a gym, and it really has helped. If that isn't an option maybe you could try adding some free weights into your workout. I think lifting has helped me see myself toning up more than doing the cardio has. Other than that maybe find some classes that you would want to go to, such as Zumba or Spinning?
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I also joined a gym for the same reason as previous poster. If that isn't an option, then maybe try some at home workout dvd's. I have personally used JM 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30 (off youtube) and Insanity. Except for phase 2 Insanity all the workouts are 30 minutes or less. If you are already in decent shape I'd consider investing in Insanity. That dvd kicked my butt. The first 4-5 workouts are like 30 minutes, the second set are closer to 50 minutes. Its interval training, so you will get an awesome burn in a short amount of time.
  • Jajalo
    Jajalo Posts: 4
    Options
    I am currently using 30 day shred, it is only 20 minutes. i just started level 2 and already see a difference.... I find a lot is in the way you eat.... makes a huge difference. In the evening, if i still have a little bit of energy i go on the elliptical for 10 or 20 minutes.
  • hoovity
    hoovity Posts: 12
    Options
    Wow! You have a LOT on!! That's amazing!! Super mum! I have been in a workout rut but have recently been adding in Bodyrock.tv workouts into my day. They are super short (great for mums!) and very intense (great for our bodies!) and for ALL skill levels. Plus, its online (easy access) and totally free.

At first glance the site looks almost inappropriate depending on your social circles, but seriously - the workouts are AMAZING and are giving me just the boost I need and helping me tap into something more inside myself rather than just following a program or group fitness class! I just started on their 30 day program. It starts with a fitness test and then you do 30 days of their workouts and re-do the fitness test at the end. I need some competition in my life (Even if its just against myself) so this works well for me. Let me know if anyone else wants to join! Would be fun to follow along!!!!

Here is the link to the challenge as I find the site a bit difficult to navigate!

http://www.bodyrock.tv/2012/04/30/may-30-day-challenge-sexy-by-summer-day-1-start-here/
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
    I may try Insanity again b/c I loved it when I did it last year (only every other day though)... I've been a bit afraid to though because I had injured my hip running just before I got pregnant and it still doesn't feel quite right. The doctor's haven't been able to agree on what exactly the issue is... so I'm not sure what to avoid. I'm not very good at "listening to my body" as they've suggested as I'm used to pushing through aches and pains.
    On average... how often and how long do you guys work-out?
    I'm thinking about trying to increase my workout time and decrease how many days a week I work out... Maybe and hour 3-4 days a week instead of 30 minutes 6 days a week. I just feel strange if I don't do SOMETHING every day.