Gluten free cooking tips needed!

Everything I make is so dry. Last weekend I made brownies and I had to (well not had to but did) eat them with ice cream to make them moist. Anyone have a secret ingredient they can share so I don’t have to choke down dry brownies anymore! =)

I have just been using the gluten free betty crocker mix. Nothing special.

Replies

• joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Sounds like you overcooked them... I love Betty Crocker Brownies, My husband does too. I use eggs and melted butter. They are very moist and fudgelike.
  • Could your oven be running a little hot? Most.of them are off one way or the other.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Sounds like a bit overbaked; the very middle should be just done. Most brownie mix batters are very thick and barely moist. You can also add couple tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce or plain Greek yogurt to add some moisture.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    I made some wonderful zucchini brownies that were soooo moist and yummy:

They were these ones: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/698849-fat-free-zucchini-brownies

I subbed 50:50 buckwheat flour and tapioca starch for the wheat flour. No gums.
  • I make a really nice carrott cake from scratch with Bob's Red mill GF all purpose flour mix, and I find that adding a bit of 0% greek yogurt or fat free sour cream or low fat mayo really helps keep it moist! I tried the applesauce but it didn't make anything the consistancy i was looking for...
    also- don't over bake!!
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,318 Member
    I've been experimenting with psyillium fibre in my bread and also a bit of gelatin.
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Try using almond flour instead of rice flour. You won't need a binder. Check out : http://www.elanaspantry.com/

And have fun experimenting! I find the arrowhead mills pre-mix for baking works well and it isn't too dry, as well.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Almond flour does need a binder. Most almond flour recipes use lots of eggs to bind them.
    Try using almond flour instead of rice flour. You won't need a binder. Check out : http://www.elanaspantry.com/

And have fun experimenting! I find the arrowhead mills pre-mix for baking works well and it isn't too dry, as well.
  • Do you have a recipe my husband is begging for carrot cake and if I have to make it I want to be able to eat it!
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Could your oven be running a little hot? Most.of them are off one way or the other.

Yes, I have that problem. I made a few breads from Elana's Pantry and they never came out right. Found out my oven was 100 degrees hotter than what I set it at!! I bought an oven thermometer and now everything comes out great...at the right temp, lol.

I also like Bruce Fife's, "Cooking With Coconut Flour." Found it at the library, then bought a copy after making some yummy treats.