Wheel (Chair) Exercises

Options
HisangelG
HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
We can share the exercises and/or links to them here. Here are three sites and exercises to start us off.

1. http://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/exercise/wheelchair-exercises.php
Sit in a chair that has good back support and preferably with no arms. You can also do this in your wheelchair but may not be quite as easy depending on the kind of chair you have. Put your feet on the floor. Make sure to keep them flat and not too wide. You want to go no wider than your shoulders.

Find some dumbbells or other weights that weigh less than five pounds. Use three pounds or so to start. If that's too light you can add more weight. Something that feels comfortable. If you don't have dumbbells or hand weights then you can use cans of food or anything else that you have two of that weighs the same.

Then hold the weights in your hands down at your sides. Make sure your palms face the side of your body. One at a time bring your hand up and turn it so your palm is facing your chest. Hold this for a second or two. Then slower lower your arm down to your sides. Then do this again with the other arm. Do 12 repetitions with each arm. This is called one set. Do 3 sets but start out the first day only doing one set and then slowly add the other sets in the next few days if it feels good. Make sure to rest a minute or so between sets.

2. http://www.1800wheelchair.com/news/post/how-to-exercise-if-you-are-wheelchair-user.aspx
Before you begin doing any strength training exercises, you should warm up with stretches for five minutes. After the exercises, there should also be five minutes of cooling down. Pushups are one form of strength training. Apply the brakes on your wheelchair and place your hands on the armrest. Holding the armrest, lift your body a few inches off the seat and slowly sit back again. Repeat this five times and increase the number of sets gradually. Take breaks in between and be careful not to overexert. You can also do overhead stretches which involves sitting straight and extending both hands above the head while inhaling. Interlock your fingers and turn your palms towards ceiling. Then, exhale and push your hands slightly backwards. Hold the position for few seconds and return to original position. Repeat the set five times. Use free weights or dumbbells for bicep curls and lateral raises.

3. http://www.livestrong.com/article/351431-cardio-exercises-while-restricted-to-a-chair/
Being restricted to a chair shouldn't interfere with your cardio exercises. Performing both stretches and aerobics from your chain can help you burn calories while exercising your heart and lungs. Perform your exercises for at least 30 minutes, four to five times a week. Begin exercising slowly and increase your pace as your body becomes accustomed to the extra activities. Always check with your family physician before beginning this or any other exercise program.

DO AEROBIC MOVES
Step 1
Sit up straight in your chair. Make the balls of your feet touch the floor and your knees touch. Bounce both feet, keeping them together, twisting your legs to the right while keeping your upper body straight. Return to the starting position, then rotate your legs to the left. Do three to five repetitions.

Step 2
Sit at the edge of you chair with one shin crossed over the other. Cross one forearm over the other in front of your chest. Uncross your arms and legs, spreading them apart as though you are doing jumping jacks. Return to the starting position and repeat three to five times.

Step 3
Move to the edge of the chair. Straighten out your legs in front of you, resting on your heels with your toes pointed. Reach your hands over your head and bend over to touch your toes. Repeat the chair toe touches three to five times.

Step 4
Sit on the edge of your seat. Raise your right arm over your head. Lift your left knee toward your chest while pulling your right elbow to your left knee. Lower your knee while raising your arm up over your head. Return your arm to your lap. Repeat with the opposite leg and arm and complete three to five repetitions.

Replies

• HisangelG
    Options
    Adding new sites.

Wheelchair Yoga. http://mayallbehappy.org/wheelchair-yoga/

This site was recommended to me by a new friend here at MFP. thanks, friend.

Chair Yoga: http://www.livingwordsofwisdom.com/chair-yoga.html

Strength training for wheelchair users: http://www.livestrong.com/article/336586-what-exercises-can-wheelchair-users-do/
  • Zanna857
    Zanna857 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: These are great moves! Love Them HisAngelG.

Btw Thank you very much for setting up the group. We with mobility difficulties just needed to have help and strength from those others like us. So Thank you very much!
  • HisangelG
    Options
    :flowerforyou: These are great moves! Love Them HisAngelG.

Btw Thank you very much for setting up the group. We with mobility difficulties just needed to have help and strength from those others like us. So Thank you very much!

We all need encouragement. My husband just joined MFP so we can work together. Hope he will post soon.
  • sunshinefrei
    Options
    That is so great you two should have a lot of fun together! Great exercise post thanks!
    Have great night!:noway: Me seeing food I can't have lol!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • nctgreene
    nctgreene Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

I am doing good so far with my diet. My stomach is shrinking and I can't eat as much as I use to at one time so that helps. I haven't been logging my exercise because I don't want it to give me an excuse to eat more. Day before yesterday I walked for 20 min. using my cane. The road had a slight incline which makes it harder. Yesterday I went to Walmart with my daughter and pushed a shopping cart for 4 hrs! That was really hard. I knew better than to go with her there! I am going now to clean the church which isn't too bad because it is small. I did get some hand weights so I will do that. I lost another lb so that excites me and keeps me moving forward.

Have a great day everyone,
    Nancy
  • HisangelG
    Options
    You did great Nancy. Be proud! I am.
  • nctgreene
    nctgreene Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I talk about being more active but I just now saw this. Thank you so much! We'll continue to do this together.

Nancy
  • Llorry
    Llorry Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I would also like to suggest Maria Serrao's videos for those looking for a very hard core workout..She is a personal trainer who is now a paraplegic