• Willthemedic
    Willthemedic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    mine 10-19-12
  • SandyFromNJ
    SandyFromNJ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow, It sounds like our group is all getting sleeved on time. LOL

It's amazing how the time flies, before you know it, your date has come. :)

I will give you an honest account of my experience........

I am Post Op Day 6. I went in Monday, November 5 th at 5:30 am and left the hospital November 6th at noon. Um, I never knew this but .............I am a whiner. Everyone's experience with the surgery is a bit different. I did not have anything out of the norm happen. Early in the morning, I had my surgery. By the afternoon, I was out of bed, walking and drinking water. I was also taking pain med and medication for nausea (because, everytime I took a sip, I would get a really weird feeling in my stomach and would get nausous). Positioning in bed is tricky for a person that is a side sleeper. I was able to sleep on my right side but not my left. I even woke up a few times because of it. As far as what I could drink, it has been trial and error. At first I put crystal light in my water, thinking I would tolerate it better. I do not like artificial sweeteners. I somewhat tolerate them in the protein drinks but I don't know how long that will last. Starting Day 3, I drank my water plain and I am in the process of learning to live with the fact that I can feel the water going into my stomach. At day 6, I am still having difficulty getting in my fluids and protein, but I'll keep trying, what's the alternative?

Walking: I do not have a big house but do have a treadmill. On day two, when I came home from the hospital, I slept for about 4 hours and then walked on the treadmill for 20 minutes, VERY SLOWLY. I wanted to work out that gas that everyone talks about.

Pain: I left surgery with a PCA pump. It was removed after 4 hours and switched to Percocet by mouth. I'll admit, I took the pain med and Zofran for nausea. Pain from the gas that is pumped in, did not feel it much because I utilized the medication on Day one and Day two. Once I was home, I only took tylenol for aches. I get a pulling on the left hand side of my abdomen because of the surgery. I have generalized arthritic pain that I use to take aleve for but I am only allowed tylenol for now. I have not taken any pain medicine yesterday or today.

TMI: Urinating was a problem for the first 12 hours but there after kicked in. On day three I passed gas and day four and day 6 had BMs. I am positive that the walking helped with both of these issues.

Incisions: 5, very small, covered with steri-strips. They look fine. They are a bit itchy and the one on the left still smarts a bit.

Diet: I was on clear liquids, I think it was three days and then started full liquid. At first I did not tolerate the protein shake. I took i once and then had a loose bm. Waited for a day and then tried again. I am tolerating it now. I tolerated water downed, blended, pea soup. Tonight I might try a different soup.

All in all. It is not so terrible. I am very fortunate. I am ok but I am cranky because I am impatient and want to feel normal again. Even though I am not eating much, I am not hungry. I am looking forward to eating soft foods but that won't happen until after I see my surgeon on November 20th.

Any Questions?
    :)
  • dallasgrl46
    dallasgrl46 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much Sandy I am 3 days out still pretty sore, and am on full liquids. will go and get some soup tomorrow to incorporate in with my protine shakes. It is amazing how it differs from doctor to doctor, I had the operation on Wednesday morning and was unablet to have anything to drink or digest until 11 am the next morning after I had my upper GI exray to make sure there weren't any leaks I was then put on clear liquids and told to do full liquids the following day, I was sent home around 6ish.

The doctor said I had an unnormally large stomach pretty much the size of the forearm. which I guess would explain why I never felt full. LOL

It sure helps to hear others stories,and to be able to get some ideas as to what they wen't thru and are doing,

I took some of the liquid pain meds when I got home and it made me dry heave and throw up so I had to call the dr and he send over some anti nasuia suppositories so now I am doing alot better, just cant take anything for the pain.
  • momskg
    momskg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    OK because I'm a prefectionist :)

Surgery done and dusted:
    mi2sc 10/23/2012
    momskg 10/24/2012
    mum_of_one 10/30/2012
    holly (hewing) 11/2/2012
    mandyabraio 11/05/2012
    sandyfromnj 11/5/2012

Coming up:
    RunnyGranny 11/07/2012
    cdbloo01 11/12/2012
    dallasgrl46 11/14/2012

RunningGranny you're next - woohoo :)

I had my surgery on Oct 24th. Hit a plateau at 2 weeks and got very discouraged. So I stopped weighing myself for a week and have finally lost 3 more pounds, yay me! Otherwise my pain was minimal and I'm doing great. Hope you all are doing well too!
  • jlbamagirl68
    Options
    OK because I'm a prefectionist :)

Surgery done and dusted:
    mi2sc 10/23/2012
    momskg 10/24/2012
    mum_of_one 10/30/2012
    holly (hewing) 11/2/2012
    mandyabraio 11/05/2012
    sandyfromnj 11/5/2012
    jlbamagirl68 11/1/2012
    Coming up:
    RunnyGranny 11/07/2012
    cdbloo01 11/12/2012
    dallasgrl46 11/14/2012

RunningGranny you're next - woohoo :)

I had my surgery on Oct 24th. Hit a plateau at 2 weeks and got very discouraged. So I stopped weighing myself for a week and have finally lost 3 more pounds, yay me! Otherwise my pain was minimal and I'm doing great. Hope you all are doing well too!
  • stacylperry
    stacylperry Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    mine was done 10-24-12 California :flowerforyou:
  • stacylperry
    stacylperry Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Did you have a hiatel hernia repair or gallblader removal?
  • DonnaLRB
    DonnaLRB Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Did you have a hiatel hernia repair or gallblader removal?

I had both on October 10. Combination surgeries are the way to go! :wink: