Running in the winter and in the dark

Options
Swanson83
Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
Can any of you more experienced runners help me out? I'd love to continue running outdoors during the winter. What gear do you wear to stay warm in the winter while you run? Oh by the way I live in MN where it is COLD during the winter. The town that I live in streets aren't well lit and it causes me to run more carefully (slowly) and to shorten up my runs. I would love to be able to run longer. Any gear suggestions or tips that you may have to help? Thanks

Replies

• amtrebletrouble
    Options
    At sports stores there are lights for sale that are very light weight and can clip to a visor or your shirt. I live in Montreal and train through the winter. Even with street lights it is important to me to wear lights to people can see me. Also, at fabric stores you can find reflective ribbon which can be sewn into your clothes.
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information!!!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I ran last night just as it was getting dark and wore one of those LED headlamps I bought from REI a few years back. It gave off enough light for me to see a few small branches I would have tripped over and it also functions to let cars and bikes see me. I had one person say I looked like a coal miner but so what if it saves me a trip to the hospital or worse..... I also wear a Road ID anytime I run outside, just in case (http://www.roadid.com/common/products.aspx)
  • dblred0728
    dblred0728 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    KJM, love the profile picture it's so me! Ha
  • losingitforsummer
    losingitforsummer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I run on a running/bike trail that has no street lights so I ended up buying a headlamp that is made by Coleman, it is mostly used for campers, but it ss lightweight and very bright! If you get a headlamp, make sure to get one that has higher lumes. Invest in a pair of Yaktraxs to slip on your shoes, these will extend the running season in MN. When I lived in MN I mostly wore wickin compression under my running gear, that seemed to help the most. Gloves, I would wear a thinner pair of gloves under a heavier pair, after a few miles the heavier pair would end up in my pocket. If your running on streets at night the main idea is to be SEEN! When I run at night in my neighborhood I wear a reflective vest that I picked up at menards for $4. I hope this helps. Happy running!