Just did powercleans to a squat then to an over head press

Options
JeffseekingV
JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
My abs feel destroyed today. Why? 4 sets of 6 and I can hardly breath after each set. with only 95lbs. Geez

I usually quat 275lbs for reps of 3-4 and dead 315 for sets of 2-3.

Must be becase the weight is over on the front, requiring more core control?

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    Options
    No one does these?
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    yep, I do them as part of My Friday routine. I dont do it with a lot of weight either (90-100lb) but they do destroy you, that's why I love them!

I dont mind the squat part of the movement, but thats probably because I regularly do front squats. I actually struggle with the clean as much as anything.

The whole thing together is an awesome core workout though, I always feel it activating more when I front squat than a regular back squat, and this movement just keeps them fired up the whole time.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Front squat will definitely activate the core more so than back squat. Also makes it a lot harder to keep you're shoulders up and back.

I do a variety of bb complexes. Normally, lower weight for higher reps. They are awesome for grip strength as well.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    yep, I do them as part of My Friday routine. I dont do it with a lot of weight either (90-100lb) but they do destroy you, that's why I love them!

I dont mind the squat part of the movement, but thats probably because I regularly do front squats. I actually struggle with the clean as much as anything.

The whole thing together is an awesome core workout though, I always feel it activating more when I front squat than a regular back squat, and this movement just keeps them fired up the whole time.

I do powercleans on squat and dead day. Using 135lbs, I can clean it to my chest easy and on the 8th rep, I'll press it over my head. ie.. once per 8 reps. No quat. Not a problem.

But using 95lbs, doing a clean to a squat to an overhead press, I die. But the squat seems to be the hard part. Although I squat 275lbs for reps. I must work on my technique as I rarely do front squats.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Powercleans are a explosive movement, which is why you're meant to train them in the 3-5 range. If you're doing a powerclean, and then pressing it, then yeah, thats going to be a taxing complex. You probably feel the front squats more because its in the middle of two fatiguing movements. I do all these movements, but on different days!
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I do the powerclean to squat/press on a seperate day to help with the technique, strength and endurance. Just didn't expect it KILL me with such little weight.

I had to lie down on the bench after. hahaha
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I dont understand what excercise you're actually doing. The title suggests you're doing one giant compound of Powerclean, front squat, then press? Regardless, i'd suggest its doing Powercleans in sets of 6. Drop them to 3s and just do more sets
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I dont understand what excercise you're actually doing. The title suggests you're doing one giant compound of Powerclean, front squat, then press? Regardless, i'd suggest its doing Powercleans in sets of 6. Drop them to 3s and just do more sets

Correct. But on leg day I also do a powerclean to over head press (minues the front squat).
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Great exercise, just as a point of clarification, you're not doing a powerclean, into a squat... you're just doing a squat-clean, by definition a powerclean is a clean without the squat part... :)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of confused on what you're doing. But I think I do something similar. Either way. The bar starts on the floor and it ends with the bar above my head. (well, it still has to come back down).

Yes, it kicks your *kitten*. In fact, there was a time when the only time I could lift was 20 minutes over my lunch hour. To make the most efficient use of my time I would do a set 10-8-6-4 of power clean, one other lift and leave. I only do them once or twice week now depending on which rotation I'm doing.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    look up Bear Complex - FTW.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I'm kind of confused on what you're doing. But I think I do something similar. Either way. The bar starts on the floor and it ends with the bar above my head. (well, it still has to come back down).

Yes, it kicks your *kitten*. In fact, there was a time when the only time I could lift was 20 minutes over my lunch hour. To make the most efficient use of my time I would do a set 10-8-6-4 of power clean, one other lift and leave. I only do them once or twice week now depending on which rotation I'm doing.

Starting from a deadlift position and the bar on tehe ground, I'll pick up a bar loaded with either 25s, 35s or 45s and lift it to a front squat position. Peform the front squat and then finish it with an overhead press.
  • Nataliaho
    Options

Starting from a deadlift position and the bar on tehe ground, I'll pick up a bar loaded with either 25s, 35s or 45s and lift it to a front squat position. Peform the front squat and then finish it with an overhead press.

When you say "pick up the bar" I assume you mean that you actually clean the bar?? Otherwise there is no clean in that at all. Assuming you are doing a clean to get it into rack position, are you landing into the squat or doing the squat as a separate move after you clean it?

A full clean (like in the olympics) you land into the squat. If you are doing a power clean and then a separate front squat, that is a great preparation for moving into a full clean in the future. Also if you are doing a strict press at the end, that will generally limit the weight you can clean as you will likely eventually be able to clean more than you can strict press. It might be worth learning a jerk or a split jerk. This will allow you to get more weight on the bar and still complete the whole movement. It won't be long and you'll be doing a proper olympic clean and jerk :)
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    look up Bear Complex - FTW.

I love the look of this WOD, totally my style... no running, no gymnastics, all lifting :)
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

When you say "pick up the bar" I assume you mean that you actually clean the bar?? Otherwise there is no clean in that at all. Assuming you are doing a clean to get it into rack position, are you landing into the squat or doing the squat as a separate move after you clean it?

A full clean (like in the olympics) you land into the squat. If you are doing a power clean and then a separate front squat, that is a great preparation for moving into a full clean in the future. Also if you are doing a strict press at the end, that will generally limit the weight you can clean as you will likely eventually be able to clean more than you can strict press. It might be worth learning a jerk or a split jerk. This will allow you to get more weight on the bar and still complete the whole movement. It won't be long and you'll be doing a proper olympic clean and jerk :)

I used to pick up the bar into the standing position and then squat. but I'm learning to pick up the bar into the squat position. Finish the squat. Then press up over my head. Seperate motion. Some assistance but not much.

I'm pretty sure I could clean more than I could press as I do alot of squats and deads already but it would be close. I think I could probably overhead press 185lbs with assistance. And I think I could clean that much. But I haven't tried to do that much as it would be a 1 rep thing
  • Nataliaho
    Options

I used to pick up the bar into the standing position and then squat. but I'm learning to pick up the bar into the squat position. Finish the squat. Then press up over my head. Seperate motion. Some assistance but not much.

I'm pretty sure I could clean more than I could press as I do alot of squats and deads already but it would be close. I think I could probably overhead press 185lbs with assistance. And I think I could clean that much. But I haven't tried to do that much as it would be a 1 rep thing

Sounds like you are doing really well. As your full clean technique gets better, you'll be able to clean more. The quicker and lower you get under the bar, the less you have to lift it off the ground. If your squat is strong it will get you back up again. If you start having trouble with the press, try a split jerk. Apart from being more efficient, I just think they're fun :)
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Yeah, I'm getting better at it. I MIGHT be able to overhead 185lbs but not sure how to get it back on the ground w/o making a HUGE noise. I'm at the Y, they tolerate my deads and light powercleans but at that weight, it's hard to let down gently

anyway, that weight ain't going to happen for awhile.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm getting better at it. I MIGHT be able to overhead 185lbs but not sure how to get it back on the ground w/o making a HUGE noise. I'm at the Y, they tolerate my deads and light powercleans but at that weight, it's hard to let down gently

anyway, that weight ain't going to happen for awhile.

I work out at two different Y's and have never had anyone say anything to me about "not gently" setting things down, and I know PT Staff has been there when I've been doing deads or "my" power clean.

I was taught in HS that the "power clean" was taking the bar off the ground and getting it above your head as fast as possible. (no stopping for a front squat seems to be the only difference between this and what your were doing.) That's what I've been doing once a week. I maxed out at 185 about a month ago. I guess I need to read up on all these terms, the jargon is different from place to place.

I did one set of Bear Complex this morning at 65 lbs just to see how the movement felt. I need to read up more on the front squat, but I think I'm going to work in this Bear Complex into the routine. It's my kind of lift.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I think that's called a snatch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6SjuAOjMEk
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    If you're abs are really buring it could be that your core is underdeveloped. It is also possible that your calves are too tight and you are leaning too far forward as a result. I would look into some stretches for the calves, ankles and hip flexors as well as do more front squats and/or snatch-gripped overhead squats.