Fractional Weight Question

After meeting the fabulous Q and discussing lifting over beers, I decided that I NEED fractionals. I've looked at 2 of the local sporting goods stores, but no luck, so I'll start checking out ebay and Amazon.

Question...my gym has 2.5 lb plates, so I'm guessing I'll need 1.25 lb plates, but how many? Just 2 right, one for each side?

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Yup. Just 2
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    I am progressing SUPER slow on my upper body lifts (OHP and row), so purchased the set from Amazon that includes 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 lb fractionals. Little pricey at a little under $60, but I am very happy with them so far and getting my money's worth.

Good luck!
    Jackie
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Thanks ladies! I may go with the set that Jackie mentioned from amazon...I have amazon prime, so free shipping!
  • extraordinary_machine
    Ooh, thanks, mah hookah!
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    I am progressing SUPER slow on my upper body lifts (OHP and row), so purchased the set from Amazon that includes 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 lb fractionals. Little pricey at a little under $60, but I am very happy with them so far and getting my money's worth.

Good luck!
    Jackie

This. Someone sent me this as a present when I hit 100 lbs on my squats, and it's been great for overheads and bench. Can't go up even 2.5 lbs? Well, how about 1 lb?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Overhead press is such a *****.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Overhead press is such a *****.
    This made me :laugh:
  • extraordinary_machine
    I ordered the set that Q recommended...so they should be here next week.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    So you guys just bring them to the gym with you? I have never thought of doing that... I might have to buy some. I progress sooo slow at OHP and bench press... it's sad... It takes me a few tries to get all 5 reps at one weight and I get all excited to go up 5 pounds the next time and I'm just like "Feckkkkkk !!!! This is so much heavier!!!" haha
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    So you guys just bring them to the gym with you? I have never thought of doing that... I might have to buy some. I progress sooo slow at OHP and bench press... it's sad... It takes me a few tries to get all 5 reps at one weight and I get all excited to go up 5 pounds the next time and I'm just like "Feckkkkkk !!!! This is so much heavier!!!" haha

Yep, keep 'em in my gym bag.

Before I got them, I would do extra reps at one weight before going up.

Like, if I got 5x5 with the bar alone, then next time, I'd try to get 6 or 7 reps per set, and only then try to increase the weight while reducing the reps. So, like the 2nd time after getting the bar alone, I'd go to 50 lbs, and probably drop down to only 3-4 reps per set, and work back up to at least 6.
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member

I bring them with me, too. I painted my initials on them although really no need to: I have never seen anyone else with them.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Usually I work out at home so I just keep them there. About twice a month when I travel to my corporate office I work out in a gym and I just round down when I'm there so I dont have to bring them. I run a little over a mile to get there and that would be hard with any weights I think.