Using Number Tattoos to Remember Holocaust Survivors

Options
daffodilsoup
daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
In a New York Times article, I read that a number of young Jews are getting number tattoos on their arms (usually the same as their grandparents'/great-grandparents. They do so out of honor of concentration camp survivors, and in recognition that these survivors are fewer and fewer in the year 2012. You can read the article here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49236457/ns/world_news-the_new_york_times/GT1=43001#.UIPwr2_A-h2.

How do you feel about this? As the granddaughter of a Holocaust survivor whose mother and seven siblings were killing in concentration camps, I can see both sides of the subject. On one hand, I do see that they do it out of honor, respect and remembrance, but I personally would be worried that too many people would misconstrue the meaning.

Are these tattoos honorable or disrespectful?

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how anyone would misconstrue the meaning, and I am certainly disturbed by all the efforts lately to minimize the Holocaust. On the other hand, the Torah prohibits tattooing. On the other other hand, in light of the growing trend of Jewish-themed tattoos, this is the only kind of Jewish tattoo that makes any logical sense to me.