SOS: Shout out Sundays

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
As we continue...this is our 2nd Sunday of shouting out: What challenge helped you this week, what obstacles did you face, did you learn anything about yourself and or others? It can be anything health related: Mental, physical and spiritual...nutritional fitness or emotional growth-wise

I myself learned I have to change my fitness regime once AGAIN..traffic has gotten worse yet again in the area so now about a 20 min is added to my commute. So I will reconfigure my exercise bc after work is hard everyday..I have do some other tactics like at lunch for example on days I can at lunch (that won't always be possible either). I am not going to beat myself up about it just work it as each day comes.

Peace,
Wonder Woman

Replies

• aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if this will work for you (it doesn't for me and most sane people), but my wife likes to do pretty much all of her workout time compressed into a day. She'll spend between 3-4 hours in YMCA exercise classes when she does them. If she's in decent shape it doesn't really phase her. I think she's nuts, but it seems to work for her. Maybe you could get away with doing that on the weekends?

Last week was sort of cruddy for me. The only shout out I can think of right now is to you're overall energy you put into things. The education challenges are nice. The exercise challenges are nice too. Are these the sort of shout outs you're asking for?
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am sure I learned something but I cannot recall what. All I know is I benefit from the forums. I cannot recall which day you did the 'Ring My Bell' but I thoroughly liked the kettle bell swing thing.

I was just thinking yesterday how creative you are in coming up with the tag lines to peak our interest. I help Kimi out with her group and I have to sit there for a spell to come up with something mediocre. I too relish your energy and optimism.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Yes, all about what you did learn about yourself and others and life in general. Health and fitness I have learned over the past 6 years is never ending.
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP friends posted info about how beans and peas (with a few exceptions) can be considered part of the Vegetable Group, i.e. counted toward daily vegetable totals if daily protein goals are met. This is probably common knowledge, but it was new information to me. :)

This was helpful to me because I can count my servings of vegetables more accurately. (I'm working on increasing my vegetable intake.)

Here's a blurb if you'd like to read more, plus a link to the complete article:
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/vegetables-beans-peas.html

Beans and Peas Are Unique Foods

Beans and peas are the mature forms of legumes. They include kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans, lima beans, black-eyed peas, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), split peas and lentils. They are available in dry, canned, and frozen forms. These foods are excellent sources of plant protein, and also provide other nutrients such as iron and zinc. They are similar to meats, poultry, and fish in their contribution of these nutrients. Therefore, they are considered part of the Protein Foods Group. Many people consider beans and peas as vegetarian alternatives for meat. However, they are also considered part of the Vegetable Group because they are excellent sources of dietary fiber and nutrients such as folate and potassium. These nutrients, which are often low in the diet of many Americans, are also found in other vegetables.

Because of their high nutrient content, consuming beans and peas is recommended for everyone, including people who also eat meat, poultry, and fish regularly. The USDA Food Patterns classify beans and peas as a subgroup of the Vegetable Group. The USDA Food Patterns also indicate that beans and peas may be counted as part of the Protein Foods Group. Individuals can count beans and peas as either a vegetable or a protein food.

Green peas, green lima beans, and green (string) beans are not considered to be part of the beans and peas subgroup. Green peas and green lima beans are similar to other starchy vegetables and are grouped with them. Green beans are grouped with other vegetables such as onions, lettuce, celery, and cabbage because their nutrient content is similar to those foods.