Anyone use the MaxRack?

Options
Jaxster92708
Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
Since everyone here is very knowledgeable and helpful, thought I'd ask this question.

The gym I've been going to has a troll who monopolizes the power rack AND a bench, so I am thinking of using my old gym some days to avoid the troll. Only problem is, they do not have a power rack, but they do have a MaxRack (similar to a Smith machine, but the bar moves in all planes/directions). I know this is not ideal, but am thinking it may still be better than a Smith machine.

My questions are: For those of you who have ever used the MaxRack: Are you able to progress on your weights? Is lifting in the MaxRack significantly easier than with the Olympic barbell? What are your feelings about switching back and forth between power rack and MaxRack?

Thanks in advance for any insight/suggestions!
Jackie

Replies

• siriusalien
    Options
    I think if you pay close attention to form, the rax will be ok. be prepared to not make the gains you would normaly with free weights, as the machine reduces involvement of the stabilizers.
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much: From what I have been reading, what you are saying about the decreased gains and reduced involvement of stabilizers is true. On further reading, some state they have injured their knees, as the plane of movement is still unnatural (as is true with the Smith machine).

I have decided to forgo the MaxRack and stick with the Power Rack: I just get up a little earlier to beat the troll!!

Thanks!
    Jackie