Hiked Pigeon Roost trail today

Options
BIRDIEBL8
BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
Well after thinking about it all week I decided to hike Pigeon Roost. It's a moderate trail 4.1mi. finally got started around 9:45 after signing in at the trailhead shouldered my backpack (10lbs for extra calorie burn) & headed out. I could still find sections of fall color & one part was all yellow, one was red but mostly the drought had eliminated the colors. About 1 1/2mi I came to the lake & sat & enjoyed the view & ate some gorp for a few minutes. Another 1/2mi brought me to the 2mi marker & I was getting low on water already! On I went to a cpl of narrow switchbacks & was making good time till the trail collapsed under my feet throwing me down a ravine. Nothing broken but had twisted an ankle & was pretty scratched up. I taped up my ankle & got hopping. About 30min later a young cpl came along & insisted on carrying my pack, I told them to go ahead & leave it on my car. Just as I got within sight of the trailhead the man had started back to check on me. What a sweet couple! Couldn't thank them enough! All done it took me about 3 1/2 hrs & boy was I happy to get home in one piece. All I can think now is.... where am I gonna hike next weekend!

Replies

• wayne4825
    wayne4825 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that you weren't terribly hurt. We are looking forward to coming that way soon and hitting some trails ourselves. Today was a beautiful day for it. My wife and I hiked around 8-9 miles today and there were quite a few people on the trails. My body feels amazing after a nice hike. My legs are relaxed and my body is loose and ready to hit another trail.

We are going to hit another 9 miles trail on Friday here close to Hot Springs. Also, going to request a weekend off from work so my family and I can go to Petit Jean State Park to camp and enjoy some family time. Glad to hear you were able to enjoy the trail still after that fall. Glad to hear your ok.
  • BIRDIEBL8
    BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Ohhh I love Petit Jean! Didn't make it there this year tho- let me know how it goes. Pics would be nice-Neither me or my phone are smart enough to figure out how to share pics but did get some nice ones last weekend.