Water Retention

Options
abitzan
abitzan Posts: 85 Member
Hello Everyone!
I am 26 weeks pregnant and retaining water like crazy. I never thought I would complain about that when I am pregnant. I drink 2 liters 66oz of water a day and only go to the bathroom a couple times. My weight has been increasing and I am sure it is from mostly water. Also, i can tell because even the loosest of socks leave indents on my ankles. Does anyone have any "baby safe" ways to reduce the water retention? I know some is to be expected but this seems to be excessive.

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Eating more potassium and reducing your sodium intake will help.

DO NOT take a potassium supplement pill without a doctor's supervision though. It's best to add potassium naturally with food.

High potassium foods include potatoes, bananas, and starchy veggies like peas. Keep drinking a lot of water too.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Eating more potassium and reducing your sodium intake will help.

DO NOT take a potassium supplement pill without a doctor's supervision though. It's best to add potassium naturally with food.

High potassium foods include potatoes, bananas, and starchy veggies like peas. Keep drinking a lot of water too.

I second that. Mine has been on and off, but I notice it was bad after eating out a lot over the weekend and not drinking enough water. After a few days of more water and eating better, it went away. Good luck!
  • doubletnurse
    doubletnurse Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posts, but wanted to add that if it doesn't get better after a couple of days you should let your doctor know b/c it could be something else.