BBC poll: Rest of world favours Obama

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

I feel that my freedoms are safer under a non-religious administration than under the current Republican party.

While I agree with you on this one... I would feel even more safe if we ever got out of the Republican-Democrat dichotomy.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

This basically shows that he is either pandering and will not follow through or he has no idea about how the international community works. Not to mention his entire "path to the sea" statement.

Meh... while this is particularly bad Geography gaffe... most Americans are pretty ignorant when it comes to geography... I bet most wouldn't even have known had it not been for fact checkers looking at the map going "Is this true?" and then plastering it all over the news..... Even the corporate media sucks pretty awesomely (I don't think this is really a word, but it gets my point across) on their Geography skills.... and they have supposed editors that get paid to not allow them to appear stupid.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but I am always shocked when I see the candidate that conservatives supprort when it clearly violates their own values. While I find the dems hypocritcal, I stand in complete awe at how the conservatives cans so hate a liberal or democrat for something, and then completely ignore or embrace those same actions done by their own guy. Case in point, living in Indiana, I for years heard from the right nothing but hatred for Clinton because he had smoked pot and dodged the draft. Then they went and elected GWB and Cheney, a coke-head who had his daddy get him out of the draft and into the Air Guard where he more than likely deserted, and a 5 deferment draft dodger. I didn't think it could get any hilariously bad than that.

But low and behold, 2012, we are now seeing another Republicn nominee for president who conviently did a holy mission to france during Vietnam AFTER he picketed for it. Oh, and as head of Bain Capital he bought a bunch of bankrupt american companies, but instead of making them profitable with actual smart ideas, he fired all americans and outsourced those jobs to Mexico and the COMMUNIST Chinese. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, if you would have told me that the Republican candidate for president was draft dodger and outsourced our jobs to the commies, I would have had you isntituionlized right after I slapped you. But once again, cheating on your wife, drug use, draft dodging, corruption, commie loving.....it's only bad if you aren't a republican. See, as long as you say you'll lower taxes, believe in god, and wear a big enough flag pin on your suit...it all cancels out.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but I am always shocked when I see the candidate that conservatives supprort when it clearly violates their own values. While I find the dems hypocritcal, I stand in complete awe at how the conservatives cans so hate a liberal or democrat for something, and then completely ignore or embrace those same actions done by their own guy. Case in point, living in Indiana, I for years heard from the right nothing but hatred for Clinton because he had smoked pot and dodged the draft. Then they went and elected GWB and Cheney, a coke-head who had his daddy get him out of the draft and into the Air Guard where he more than likely deserted, and a 5 deferment draft dodger. I didn't think it could get any hilariously bad than that.

But low and behold, 2012, we are now seeing another Republicn nominee for president who conviently did a holy mission to france during Vietnam AFTER he picketed for it. Oh, and as head of Bain Capital he bought a bunch of bankrupt american companies, but instead of making them profitable with actual smart ideas, he fired all americans and outsourced those jobs to Mexico and the COMMUNIST Chinese. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, if you would have told me that the Republican candidate for president was draft dodger and outsourced our jobs to the commies, I would have had you isntituionlized right after I slapped you. But once again, cheating on your wife, drug use, draft dodging, corruption, commie loving.....it's only bad if you aren't a republican. See, as long as you say you'll lower taxes, believe in god, and wear a big enough flag pin on your suit...it all cancels out.

I know this is going to come as another shock but there are really only two choices ( I am not counting Gary Johnson) at this point. Should conservatives vote for someone that is the polar opposite of what they want or vote for the lesser of two evils?

Now... If you are talking about the primary process... I would not say Romney had all that much conservative support. There were a whole mess of candidates and they all sucked (except Ron Paul!). I think Romney got by on the lesser of lots of evils there too.
  • adrian_indy
    Options
    And that's the damned misery of this stupid two party system. I make no bones about hating Mitt Romney and just about every other conservative that the Repubs have puked out in my life time (Except for Paul, and McCain,,,,,I didn't vote for McCain, but I didnt hate him). So what am I supposed to do, vote for Obama? I have a lot of legitamate complaints about Obama, real ones like his failure to end the Patriot Act as he said he was. I did some research and then took an online poll and I am 88% in alignment politically with Johnson, 62 with Obama, and 34 with Romeny. And as much as I want to vote third party and vote my conscious like I tell everyone they should, I am scared ****less of a Romeny presidecy.

Then again, a small part of me does want Obama to win since I think we as a nation are circling the drainn anyways, and I truly want to see all of the neo-cons heads exlplode, and before the end of our nation, I really want them to feel the utter disbelief and disgust most intelligent people felt when GWB got re-elected. Childish, I know, but as long as we are going down in flames, I might as well be entertained.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I wish our society would step out of the lemming stage. Why on earth we feel like we only need two candidates to choose from is beyond me. I mean, technically, I know why, but it's not logical.

If society really wants to run this country, then we need a revolution; and make it a good one.

ETA:: Gary Johnson is on the ballot in 46 states right now.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If only Ron Paul wasn't so radical on some issues.... I am still undecided... Not between Romney and Obama. If they were the only 2 choices I would choose Romney and hope he is as moderate as I think he is. My choice is between Romney and Johnson. Romney is going to win my state so I might just cast a vote for Johnson to show my support for his campaign.

My ideal scenario has Romney and Obama each winning 269 electoral votes. House votes for Romney. Senate votes for Biden. A Romney/Biden administration gives us 4 years of wonderful entertainment.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

But the Dems do it too... I know you said you find Dems hypocritical as well... but where are all the anti-war protesters that couldn't wait until GWB got out of office? We aren't hearing too much about them lately.

But then, I'm not succumbing to either of these parties anymore and I wish more people wouldn't either... but alas, that is a pipe dream.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    If only Ron Paul wasn't so radical on some issues.... I am still undecided... Not between Romney and Obama. If they were the only 2 choices I would choose Romney and hope he is as moderate as I think he is. My choice is between Romney and Johnson. Romney is going to win my state so I might just cast a vote for Johnson to show my support for his campaign.

My ideal scenario has Romney and Obama each winning 269 electoral votes. House votes for Romney. Senate votes for Biden. A Romney/Biden administration gives us 4 years of wonderful entertainment.

That would be AWESOME!!
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    I wish our society would step out of the lemming stage. Why on earth we feel like we only need two candidates to choose from is beyond me. I mean, technically, I know why, but it's not logical.

If society really wants to run this country, then we need a revolution; and make it a good one.

ETA:: Gary Johnson is on the ballot in 46 states right now.

I have heard he was on 48 state ballots now. All except for Oklahoma and Michigan (ETA: Michigan will allow Johnson as a write in).

http://reason.com/blog/2012/10/12/gary-johnson-officially-on-the-ballot-in
  • adrian_indy
    Options

But the Dems do it too... I know you said you find Dems hypocritical as well... but where are all the anti-war protesters that couldn't wait until GWB got out of office? We aren't hearing too much about them lately.

But then, I'm not succumbing to either of these parties anymore and I wish more people wouldn't either... but alas, that is a pipe dream.

That has been one of the major complaints I have made about the anti-war movement. Now I can see giving Obama a year or two to get our ducks in order and have a systematic withdraw, but I don't think leaving in 2010 or 2014 is going to make much of a difference in Afghanistan. And I am sorry, but leaving 30,000 "advisors" in Iraq is not really ending the war.

Then again, call me crazy, but I think any Republican or Democratic candidate who tried to end the war has a magic bullet and a shy loner with three names waiting for them.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

That has been one of the major complaints I have made about the anti-war movement. Now I can see giving Obama a year or two to get our ducks in order and have a systematic withdraw, but I don't think leaving in 2010 or 2014 is going to make much of a difference in Afghanistan. And I am sorry, but leaving 30,000 "advisors" in Iraq is not really ending the war.

Then again, call me crazy, but I think any Republican or Democratic candidate who tried to end the war has a magic bullet and a shy loner with three names waiting for them.

There are no US troops or advisors in Iraq. Only folks there are working through the Embassy. It is one of the things that Romney has been hammering Obama about.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    as part of the rest of the world I have to say that
    1. apart from politicians of course, we don't really care that much
    2. the fact that we don't care means we do not have a lot of knowledge about both candidates programs, so if asked, we would most likely go for a name we already know.
    2. 21 countries can hardly be called "the rest of the world."
    3. Mitt Romney has no foreign policy experience, so the rest of the world has nothing to judge on.
    4. I do not trust British media to accurately report anything to do with the US. They have an attitude.
    I wouldn't give this any merit. Other countries see Obama as the media portrays him, a celebrity. That is all.

The poll was conducted by the BBC World Service, a news and information service that has been providing unbiased new reports to the world for 80 years. Apart from it's 24-hr English language service, it also broadcasts in 27 languages. Most of it's audience are politically well-informed, not your average Joe.

I've been to the US a number of occasions and I was flabbergasted by the complete lack of foreign news on your main TV networks. I know you also have CNN (and Fox News :laugh: ) but even CNN has it's shortcomings when it comes to anywhere outside of the Americas. Our news output in the UK is 50% domestic, 45% World and 5% local.

I can also assure you that Obama is not portrayed as a celebrity in the UK or elsewhere in Europe, but as a serious politician. He is liked and respected in the UK and both he and Michelle have been praised for their diplomacy and compassion on their visits here. Romney on the other hand blundered his way though a very painful summer visit where he was less than statesman-like in his actions and comments.

I'm not an American, nor am I a resident of the USA so my opinions are purely personal and subjective, but I hope that over the coming 10 days the enfranchised citizens make the right choice; although ultimately they will get the President they deserve. :ohwell:
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    I'm not just talking about Iraq though... I'm talking about Libya, Pakistan, yes even Afghanistan... and who knows where else... and I'm not just talking about now, I'm talking about the past even... and it's not going to change.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I'm not just talking about Iraq though... I'm talking about Libya, Pakistan, yes even Afghanistan... and who knows where else... and I'm not just talking about now, I'm talking about the past even... and it's not going to change.

Isolationism is a terrible foreign policy.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    The Rest of the World, here, chiming in to agree with Azdak. Romney is too far out of alignment with the majority of the rest of the western world's leadership and priorities, both in economic and social policy terms, not to mention the prospect of US foreign policy a la Bush Mark 3 gives most of the rest of the hemisphere heebie-jeebies. It doesn't really say anything good about the man that Pakistan is the only one of the countries sampled where he is the favoured candidate...

Choking somewhat on the assertion that Europe "doesn't really do anything", but typing on an iPhone at nearly 1am is going to give me RSI if I respond to that one right now. In the morning, my time, I shall return.

Here's the problem, we lead, you follow. It may sound arrogant, but you know what? We earned it. With that out of the way, i could care less what Europe thinks of us.

However, if we reelect this clown, we will soon be the one's following.

You 'earned' it? You lead, we follow? Seriously? Quite apart from the fact that the modern US was essentially built by Europeans, which in my view constitutes both 'doing something' and 'leading', your perspective of the world is absurdly narrow if you truly believe this - though that does seem to be a common perspective among many Americans. My week has turned busy, and I haven't time right now to go into detail - it would take too long. America is undoubtedly a great country. However, may I suggest reading some non-US-centric/published history, or even current commentary. I think you'll find that Europe (in which I include the UK), Russia, Asia, even the Antipodes 'do' quite a bit, and have done for rather a long time.

I'm glad you "could care less" - that implies that you do, in fact, care for Europe's opinion. Under your present administration, that opinion is largely favourable, in the main. Under the currently-proposed alternative, I refer you to my first paragraph.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

And so is bombing our "allies"... and I don't remember hearing anyone talking about isolationism... pretty sure that is pratically impossible in this "global society" where everything and everyone is so intertwined with one and other.
  • adrian_indy
    Options

And so is bombing our "allies"... and I don't remember hearing anyone talking about isolationism... pretty sure that is pratically impossible in this "global society" where everything and everyone is so intertwined with one and other.

Free trade, free dialogue. It's a false to presume that not wanting hundreds of military bases throughout the world is isolationism. Fact is, the world doesn't hate us, the hate our government. In so many instances in the world, we have overthrown democracies and installed dictatorships because our leaders were keenly aware that usually in a democracy, people vote for policies good for them, not always good for us. We did it to central america decades ago, we helped put Saddam in power, we funded and trained Al Queida to fight the soviets, and the list goes on. As far as our foreign policy is concerned, I think we need to take take a stand that if a nation needs and calls for our help, we are willing to be there for them...as long as they are willing to have a democratic nation and all citizens over 18 regardless of sex and religion are allowed to vote. And if they openly hate us, or their gov does, and they are bombing our embassies, not only would I shut those embassies down, I would cut off any foreign aid.

Fact of the matter is, we have ****ed up with other nations. We have ****ed up big time. I know it's not popular for an american to ever say we were wrong, but we have made deal after deal with religious zealots, gangsters, and tyrants abroad in a game of sickening chess that we just are good at playing. Whomever we help in Syria, Libyia, Iraq, Afghanistan.....chances our that in about 15-2o years when my kids are military age, we are more than likely going right back to the middle east to fight our former "allies". Especially if our new friends decide not to do what our gov want.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    The poll was conducted by the BBC World Service, a news and information service that has been providing unbiased new reports to the world for 80 years. Apart from it's 24-hr English language service, it also broadcasts in 27 languages. Most of it's audience are politically well-informed, not your average Joe.

I hear the news from the BBC World Service on public radio here sometimes. It's a great non-US-centric view of the world that I never hear otherwise. The only problem with it is that in every hour, they spend about 10 minutes giving the cricket scores from all over the former empire. I have little interest in US sports, let alone the intricacies of the latest match between Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Here's the problem, we lead, you follow. It may sound arrogant, but you know what? We earned it. With that out of the way, i could care less what Europe thinks of us.

However, if we reelect this clown, we will soon be the one's following.

You 'earned' it? You lead, we follow? Seriously? Quite apart from the fact that the modern US was essentially built by Europeans, which in my view constitutes both 'doing something' and 'leading', your perspective of the world is absurdly narrow if you truly believe this - though that does seem to be a common perspective among many Americans. My week has turned busy, and I haven't time right now to go into detail - it would take too long. America is undoubtedly a great country. However, may I suggest reading some non-US-centric/published history, or even current commentary. I think you'll find that Europe (in which I include the UK), Russia, Asia, even the Antipodes 'do' quite a bit, and have done for rather a long time.

I'm glad you "could care less" - that implies that you do, in fact, care for Europe's opinion. Under your present administration, that opinion is largely favourable, in the main. Under the currently-proposed alternative, I refer you to my first paragraph.

Please don't think Angryguy77's opinion is typical of all or even most Americans, Castadiva. I find his arrogant, dismissive attitude repulsive.