Some Light Mama Reading...

Options
http://harvardmagazine.com/2012/11/labor-interrupted

This article from Harvard discusses the rise in c- section rates in the US. It discusses cause/ effect, WHO standpoint and has weigh- ins from MD's and midwives. It is a great read, and can really help mamas make informed decisions regarding the birth of their babies! (ie breech babies are no longer recommended to be born by c- section as of 2006). Anyone that reads this article should look at it neutrally and think about the info presented! Happy reading!

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Very interesting...thanks!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    The hospital I deliver at in Alberta has the highest c-section rate in Alberta for sure and one of the highest in Canada. When I had my daughter 4 years ago, they were averaging a 37-38% c-section rate. I have always made sure I am very well informed, asked for a second opinion and never let myself get bullied into one. Thankfully, I delivered both my kids naturally and I expect to do the same with my third child in February, unless something goes sideways. I am not against medically necessary c-sections, just the ones that are for the convenience of the doctor or nurse making the call.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The hospital I deliver at in Alberta has the highest c-section rate in Alberta for sure and one of the highest in Canada. When I had my daughter 4 years ago, they were averaging a 37-38% c-section rate. I have always made sure I am very well informed, asked for a second opinion and never let myself get bullied into one. Thankfully, I delivered both my kids naturally and I expect to do the same with my third child in February, unless something goes sideways. I am not against medically necessary c-sections, just the ones that are for the convenience of the doctor or nurse making the call.
    It is scary that a high section rate for a Canada hospital is a low section rate for the US. I agree, there is always a time and place for c- sections when mom or baby's health is at risk, but overall, the section rate doesn't reflect that.