NEW TO THE GROUP? Please check in here!

Options

Replies

• ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for the invite!

My name is Kim I am 41.5 I live in Michigan.

I lost 35lbs when me and my ex of 21 yrs split up keep it off for a couple years.
    Then I quit smoking entered my 40s and gained 25 of it back.
    I now it is time to regain control of my weight and every thing else will fall in to place once I stop beating myself up for regaining this weight again!

Kim
  • bef315
    bef315 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Barb, I am 51 years old and live in Ridley Twp PA. Thank you for the invitation to this group. I am married, have one daughter who is graduating high school this year. I have a bunch of weight to lose and love the commitment and support this website gives. I will be around for years. Struggled through Frankinstorm (hurricane Sandy) the last few days, as we were stuck inside and only wanted to bake and cook comfort foods.
  • jacs119
    jacs119 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello my new friends!

I'm Jackie and I'm a foodaholic, lol. Well, maybe that's not so funny. Truth is that I am a foodie. I love cooking good food, eating good food and wish that I could eat that good food without wearing it. I'm 60, soon to be 61 and am 5' 8" tall. I live in the Pittsburgh area, and have been here since 2007. Although I was born here, I lived most of my life elsewhere, most recently in the Atlanta area for 24 years prior to moving back here. I've been too short for my weight most of my life, but until recently have always been able to knock off extra pounds when I wanted to with some extra exercise. I did karate, jazzercise, bowling, coached soccer, walked a lot, swam in my pool, did all of my own housework, yardwork and gardening, All of that activity WAS enough to keep my weight in check.

However, since moving back to PA, getting in any exercise has been challenging due to various reasons. I "fixed" the first reason. I was a smoker. Although it didn't affect me when I lived in GA, here in PA I was finding myself getting winded when walking my dog in a local park, getting winded while mowing the yard, and getting so winded walking across the Roberto Clemente bridge to attend a Pirate game that I couldn't talk with my companions. I knew that the two reasons for being winded were that I was a smoker and that I now was carrying about 40 extra pounds gradually gained since the move here in '07. I had wanted to quit smoking, but always used the excuse that I would gain weight if I quit; therefore, my mindset was that would quit after I lost some weight. I finally came to realize that I should tackle one problem at a time. So I quit smoking.

I quit on Superbowl Sunday in 2011. Yay for me! It was really, really hard and I consoled myself by eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, figuring t'd get serious about shedding the excess once I reached the one-year point in smoking abstinence. I met that milestone in Feb 2012. Yay for me again! However, that year-long eating of whatever and whenever resulted in gaining additional weight so that I'm now nearly 80 lbs over what my doctor says I should weigh. And, although I can walk now without getting winded, an existing bunion on one foot became worse (probably from the excess weight) and caused me so much pain that I still couldn't exercise. Wah!

I procrastinated and procrastinated, then at the end of July, I finally got a physical and discovered that I now have high blood pressure (oops) which gave me another huge reason for losing weight. I got serious about it and started tracking my food via MFP in August, saw a podiatrist in September, scheduled bunion surgery for early October. I am now 3 weeks post op and am looking forward to walking again without pain. Also, I bought a stationary recumbent bike in late September, (I'm too embarrassed to join a gym and be around all of those fitness addicts aka cheerleader types) and was riding 45 minutes 5 days a week up until my surgery. In addition, I bought a food scale and a bathroom scale, and prior to surgery started walking my dog in the park (no shortness of breath now!) after taking massive doses of ibuprofen to alleviate foot pain.

I'm hoping to be cleared for using my recumbent bike after my podiatrist appt next week, hope to be able to drive again, and I hope to be able to get some dog walking time in at the park before the snow starts flying. I planned ahead for being non-ambulatory and made three varieties of soup, and a batch of chili which I divided into individual servings, then froze. In addition, I purchased some Healthwise products from my doctor and stocked up on protein drinks. The Healthwise protein bars are my favorite. They're around 150-170 calories each with 14-15 grams of protein. So, even though I've been really sedentary for the past three weeks, I've still managed to drop a few pounds. My latest find is the skiinnytaste.com web site. I am looking forward to making some dishes from that site when I can endure standing to cook again.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Hello my new friends!

I'm Jackie and I'm a foodaholic, lol.

I quit smoking.
    Congrats!
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hi and thank you for the invite! :smile: I have a lot of reading to catch up on in here .. I'll get through it in spurts...

My name is Kat - I'm 5'4 and 46 yrs old. I have been divorced for well over 14 years and spent all this time as a single parent. My son is 18 now -- college boy and now I'm ready to meet someone. No - I did not come here to meet the man of my dreams .. I'm making a point of constantly reminding myself .. it's truly finally time for me!! I've hardly dated anyone in years ... my last relationship ending 5 years ago.

I live in Oceanside, CA and grew up in Winchester, VA. My parents still live there, so I pack up my son and we visit them 4-5 times a year .. the holidays are coming up and as you can imagine .. the most dangerous time of year for weight gain.

I'm here because I quit smoking Aug 17, 2012. Yay .. one good thing done. Quit cold turkey. Anyhoo.. I go about my business and life as normal and one evening was kinda cool here, so I pulled out my favorite jeans I hadn't worn since the beginning of summer. Shocked - I couldn't hardly get them on! What?!?!?! That's never happened (well .. the last time was because I was pregnant.. LOL I don't think that counts)

I hopped on the scales and was stunned to see I gained 15 lbs! Yikes! I didn't look too bad .. but I'm on a budget - I simply don't have the funds to go out and start buying new clothes just so they'll fit me - especially for having outgrown them.

Don't know how I came across this site.. but September 20, 2012 - the day a made the grim discovery on my scale .. I found myself here. I've lost 6 of the 15 lbs pounds so far. If I only lose 4-5 more lbs .. I'll be very happy. (I'm not a big person, very petite frame.. so a little extra never hurt).

I look forward to getting to know you here .. I'll contribute as best as I can. I hope to introduce my father to this site when I go visit over Thanksgiving. Although he's 77 - he's an old 77. Multiple issues that have compounded over the years health wise. Some are just life long things he cannot change (arthritis in the spine and knees by his teenage years, to name one).

He lives fairly healthy -- but has difficulty keeping his weight down. Even if he doesn't interact on the boards with anyone .. I'd like for him to be more aware of his calorie intake in general to help him stay on track.
  • jeceke
    jeceke Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,

My name is Jodi. I'm 41 yrs old and live in SE Texas. I've been married for 20 yrs and have 2 boys. My oldest is 17 and a senior in hs, and my youngest is 13 and in 8th grade. We are a custom home designer and builder, and also own some storage buildings, duplexes, and other rentals. Whatever brings in the $$.

I've somewhat battled my weight all my life. Although, I look back at how "big" I was when I was younger, and realize that I wasn't as big as I thought. The severe weight problem didn't hit until after I had each of my kids. It then spiraled out of control and I hit 270 lbs. I had the gastric sleeve on May 14th of this year, and so far I'm down 91 lbs. Besides my family (of course), this is the BEST decision I've ever made. It's been an adjustment, but I've adjusted well and I'm feeling healthier every day. I was on 2 HBP meds, and I'm happy to say I'm completely off of them.

Thank you so much for the invite. I look forward to all the wealth of information I get here to help me along in this process of getting healthy!!!
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hiya Peeps!

My name is Amy and I am 40 years old.

I am single and have 2 ridicuously wonderfuly daughters aged 20 and 19.

I joined MFP because a few of my friends we on it and I am now a fricking ADDICT. I have lost 97 pounds to date (92 pre MFP). If you would like to read about my journey to get me to this point, I wont bore you with it here. I wrote about it a couple of days ago on my blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/amydee714.

Looking forward to new friends.
  • CALABRESE3
    CALABRESE3 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the invite Alice. My name is Tami and I am 47 with a son in college and identical triplets that are Juniors in high school. I own my own business. After always being a skinny child my whole life, I got pregnant with the girls and was constantly being told, you are not eating enough by my doctors. After I had the girls, I was forced to be home allday and night as it was just too hard to leave with that many babies and I supposed I became lazy and depressed. I kept all my skinny clothes for 16 years as I wanted to wear them again. Finally this year, I gave up and threw them out saying I might as well face the facts , I will never be skinny again and after 16 years I cant blame the kids LOL!
    No sooner did I do that, that I found MFP and have not only lost almost 50 pounds, but I am now realizing that I feel addicted to exercise and yes I can now say finally....I AM skinny again!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Janet and I am 44 and live in NH. I have a son in college and work as a nurse. I am a true foodie and love everything about it. I have lost 92 lbs in under a year and still have a ways to go. I am learning to have a normal relationship with food and creating healthier versions of my favorite foods that taste great.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, Thank you for the invitation. My name is Valerie. I've been on site since July and thought I had lost 17 pounds but this week I am up 2. Very frustrating. I am single, an educator/tutor. I love gardening, cooking, wild food and mushroom gathering and hiking/walking. Oh, Also decorating and art.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,000 Member
    Options
    hi ladies
    My name is sheri I am 49 and have 7 children only 3 left at home. The younger 3 are adopted. We did fostercare for 7 yrs and adopted them from the fostercare system. I have been on MFP for 2 yrs now and have lost 106 lbs. I have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and hypothyroid and the meds along with slowly quit exercising due to pain and fatigue and comfort eating I had gained alot of weight and decided I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I was falling asleep in mid-sentence, falling down when walking, in pain constantly, i was in bed 2-4x a week and now I feel as though I have my life back. Looking forward to getting to know all of you
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Anne, 56 years old, and I live on the Shetland Islands, furthest north part of the UK. About 15 months ago the local council shut down the school I worked in (I'm an English teacher) and moved me to another school where I am not particularly happy. I decided it was time to get at least some of my life under control, so made a plan to lose weight and get fit. One of my daughters told me about this site and here I am.

I am a widow - my husband died in 1999 - and I have 4 daughters now grown up and also 2 grandchildren aged 3 and 1 and a half. I have a new partner and we love to watch action movies, listen to classical music and travel. I also love theatre and books and cooking and eating!

My 3rd daughter (mother of the grandchildren) is getting married in July so I want to lose a few more pounds and tone up for my mother of the bride outfit!
  • jacs119
    jacs119 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I make homemade pizza crusts and snacks and friend come over and play board games. It's not something I will give up, so I will have to burn more calories throughout the week, I guess.

I recently found the greatest web site ever. skinnytaste.com
    Check it out and search for pizza. I saw two great sounding/looking pizza recipes. One is for a Lavash Flatbread Pizzas and another is for a Skinny Passover Matzo Pizza. Both are low calorie and look fabulous. The site not only has the recipes, but has plenty of mouth-watering photos. Pizza is something I can't give up entirely either.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Thanks for the invite Alice!!
    I`m DeeDee, almost 53, widowed, have a beautiful married grown daughter and 2 beautiful granddaughters! Sounds like this will be a great group to belong to!
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Nicole, in Australia. I am 44 (eek) and have an 8.5 year old and four year old. I just lost 10 kgs and saw a number on the scale yesterday that I haven't seen since my eldest was born. Yippee.

And I have lost the weight while eating plenty of lunches (and drinking the occasional wine).

Still wanting to lose a couple more kgs/tone up. My motivation was seeing my mum struggle with her health - high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, arthritis etc etc (she turned 80 this year), and not wanting that to be my future.

Looking forward to getting to know you all :)
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Helen, I am 44 (very nearly 45). I work 4 days a week and am a mum to 2 boys (11 and 8) and live near Brighton ,Uk.
    I love baking and try to cook from scratch most evenings, I am a great supporter of lunches and love my glass of wine with good quality dark chocolate :)
    I try to support all my friends daily and so am not accepting new ones at the moment (it is currently taking 30 mins every morning to run through diaries and comments), but I have recipes to share and love trying out new things so Thanks for the invite :)
  • Snoopaloop63
    Snoopaloop63 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm Kathy from Oregon, I'm 49. I was really thin my whole life, was even picked on and called bones, string bean etc. I started putting on the weight in my early 40's and now for the first time ever I am overweight! I have tried various things but nothing worked. Lately I have tried to stick to a "real food" diet and so far it is working. I only eat real whole foods like meat, fish, veggies, fruit, nuts, beans, seeds...I am not perfect at it, but every day I try to do my best.

Thanks for the invite. I still have a good 25 lbs to go and I want to get there before I'm 50!!!
  • jtrousehouse
    Options
    Hello ladies, I am a 41 year old mother of two and elementary school teacher. I have found mfp very helpful in keeping my calories in check and lifting weights consistently. Every summer I tend to put my weight - lifting to the side for mountain biking and running.. MFP has helped me to stay consistent and not let running or biking kind of take over!! :happy:

I have been working out in one form or another for 20 years and love it!

I also, unfortunately, have been smoking on and off for about 27 years. In the early part of this year while trying to quit smoking I gained about 15 pounds.. I was even unsuccessful (damn it) and started again. 60 days ago I quit again and have even continued to lose weight during that time. :wink: If you're tying to quit.... just do it!! You can do it without gaining!

I'm working towards never smoking again, building muscle, losing another 10lbs of fat, and learning to eat healthy more consistently with more whole foods! I tend to fall back into my old lazy food habits! pb & j (soybutter) is so much easier for me to make than a salad with lean chicken sometimes!!

I look forward to reading your posts and getting to know you ladies.

Have a wonderful day!
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Howdy. I'm Barb and I live in Cody, Wyoming, just an hour from Yellowstone National Park, the Bighorn National Recreation Area, and the Pryor Mountin Wild Mustang Preserve. I am 51 years old and self-employed, so my dog Buster gets to have a stay at home mom. Married to the same man for almost 33 years with 2 adult children, a grandcat, 2 granddaughters and a 5 mo. old grandson.

I tole paint, sew, collect old junk, love to cook different things (no kidding, huh?) I quit smoking 4 years ago and that's when I got fat. I have lost 59 pounds since Feb. 20 2010, the first 50 the first 4 months, then maintained a while, then gained back 10, so I am starting over for the 10 I gained back and 30-40 more, plus/minus, depending on what happens when I get there. I just joined MFP about a month ago and really like the people and the databse etc. so far.

It is so much fun where we live. We get all kinds of weather and with so many sparsely populated aras close by, we get to hike, bicycle, just go for walks on dirt roads, hike some more at nearby BLM land with paths the range cattle have made while grazing, and go geocaching when we can find a cache on a more difficult trail in the mountains.

I am hoping to learn how to snowshoe this winter....I think.

Barb
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    This is my busy season with Art shows, and I don't want to gain weight.

Me too, me too! I did one show already, and now I have 5 in a row, back to back. We have to travel for 4 of them, up to 4 hours away for the furthest. I take all my food along with me and a scales as well so I can weigh it all. Ut is a pain in the backside, but that's the only way Iknow how to keep it in check out of town in hotels. This weekend we'll go to Red Robin for Robert's b-day dinner. It is 3.5 miles each way from the hotel. We'll walk there and back. I also just figured out I can take my WATP dvd with me and play it on my laptop so I can exercise in the hotel rooms.

Barb