Shapewear advice needed desperately!

Options
TheLaser
TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
Hello Ladies! I need some shapewear advice from those of you who have worn it before. I've gained nearly ten pounds from this pregnancy so far, and suddenly I can't fit into the dress I was planning to wear at a wedding reception this weekend! Rather than buy a new one, I'm wondering what wonders shapewear can do. I've never had to wear it before, so I don't know how it works.

My preferred dress is strapless, and bulging in the belly, tight in the thighs (very much so), and the butt pokes out a bit ungracefully. Do I have a chance at all? I've been looking around online at my options, and I can't tell is anything that shapes thighs is easy to use the bathroom with. I am definitely going to need to use the bathroom a lot, and I don't want to be peeling off my entire dress every single time. Any advice/recommendations? I'm in the US in a major metropolitan area, so most US brands will be available to me.

HELP, PLEASE!!!

Replies

• ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I haven't worn anything like that while pregnant, but I did get some shapewear from JC Penny's a few years back that went over the stomach and down to my knees almost. It worked pretty good, and it did have a slit opening for the bathroom so you didn't have to peel the whole thing off. It wasn't the most comfortable thing though! I think the brand was Dr. Rey, but I can't be sure on that.

Good luck to you!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Shape wear, from what I've used, basically just smooths out certain parts of your body, but doesn't really do anything to compress it like a corset. If your dress is tight in places, even with shape wear it will still be tight, but won't look as bad. Regardless I eventually had to upsize my pants because the shapewear just didn't work anymore to combat the tight fit. If you've got a walmart or target or similar close by, go try some on; they've got plenty to choose from to give you an idea of how they work/feel.
  • doubletnurse
    doubletnurse Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I wouldn't wear any shape wear while pregnant. Just the thought of squishing things around in there and possible even the baby doesn't sound very comfortable. If I was able to, I would take it to a tailor and see if they could help you out.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    try getting nude panty hose that are 2 sizes bigger u can pull then over ur belly and they will even out the "bumps" won't be as time or uncomfortable as a shape wear... and u can always take them off and throw them out if u get on comfortable . w a shape wear it'd be more difficult..
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Shape wear, from what I've used, basically just smooths out certain parts of your body, but doesn't really do anything to compress it like a corset. If your dress is tight in places, even with shape wear it will still be tight, but won't look as bad.

^ This.

Sorry, shapewear only smooths things, doesn't make you any smaller.

Your best bet is to just get a dress that fits. Corsets and such aren't good for pregnant women since they compress the uterus.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I'm still in the first trimester, so I think it's fat from nausea eating rather than an actual bump that I am trying to suppress! For those of you who are interested, I did discover that there is some shapewear specifically designed for pregnant women that supports the belly, as opposed to compressing it.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I used tons of shapewear before losing 60 lbs... and I have had some miracle shapewear in the past "like oh, Did you lose 20 lbs?" That being said... I had to jump shimmy and shake to get into it, and my guts were squished. I never wore that while pregnant... I would feel bad for the baby! I know that the baby is well protected, and it is mostly a mental thing, but it still makes me nervous! That being said, go treat yourself to a nice empire waist dress that will "grow" with you so you can wear it during your pregnancy, and save yourself from sausage dress syndrome, because we have all been there. Good luck, and I hope that you find a lovely dress solution!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Early in my previous pregnancy I did wear some shapewear, but it was the kind of thing that looks like bike shorts and ends at the waist. I agree that they can really only smooth you, not make you smaller. I found them REALLY uncomfortable, and then I felt awful, like I had caused some uterine squishing out of vanity. I only did it the once and never did it again.

As much as I hate to say that you can't wear your new dress, I would just go buy something else. Sorry :frown: If it makes you feel better, I have a bunch of clothes in my closet, including some ADORABLE new dresses, that I bought after losing 82 pounds on MFP that have never been worn and won't be worn again until I get back to my low weight after this baby is born, however long that takes.

Edited for typo
  • mewhisler
    mewhisler Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but i know spanx has something out there than my pregnant friend told me about. I think it is later in the pregnancy though, but might work for you. too.
    http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2990118
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but i know spanx has something out there than my pregnant friend told me about. I think it is later in the pregnancy though, but might work for you. too.
    http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2990118

This looks really cool! I'm tempted to get it for smoothing purposes. I always look lumpy. It's pricey, but Spanx are always worth the money :wink:
  • cassidypearce1
    Options
    I highly recommend Cozy Belly. I wore their pregnancy shapewear http://www.cozybelly.com/ all through my pregnancy and it helped me a ton. Plus it is super comfy. They even have shapewear for nursing and non-pregnant women. I love this product better than the big brand names and I'm sure you will too. Good luck! :)