On Weight Loss and Gaining Weight During Pregnancy

Options
Jenny_Rose77
Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
Heya! I just started a little blog, and I wanted to share my post on losing weight and then gaining it during pregnancy with you, because I figured a lot of y'all might be able to relate. Please check it out. I hope you like it, and I'd love to hear what you think!

XO,

Jenny

http://www.jennyrosenthal.com/2012/10/on-weight-loss-and-gaining-weight.html

Replies

• rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this Jenny. I have fears about gaining weight and I'm glad to see you are handling it so well.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    That's a great blog post! It's kind of amazing that in addition to all the things that we have to worry about while pregnant we also have to make sure that we gain just the right amount of weight.

Weight gain was brought up for the first time yesterday at my OB appointment. I was finally given a guideline on how much weight I should gain: 20-25 lbs. I'm 20 weeks and I've gained 12 lbs so far.

I know I should have brought up weight gain before with my OB but I was treating it like a "don't ask, don't tell" subject and I honestly believe that if I eat well and exercise that my body will gain what it needs to gain. I say that, but I still want to only gain about 2-3 lbs by my next appointment. And with the holidays coming up, it's going to be hard for me to tell people that I'm not eating for two; that I'm actually eating for about 1 and 1/4.

Thank you for sharing. You have a great attitude and you're going to be a wonderfully healthy mommy when your little one gets here!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    That's a great blog post! It's kind of amazing that in addition to all the things that we have to worry about while pregnant we also have to make sure that we gain just the right amount of weight.

Weight gain was brought up for the first time yesterday at my OB appointment. I was finally given a guideline on how much weight I should gain: 20-25 lbs. I'm 20 weeks and I've gained 12 lbs so far.

I know I should have brought up weight gain before with my OB but I was treating it like a "don't ask, don't tell" subject and I honestly believe that if I eat well and exercise that my body will gain what it needs to gain. I say that, but I still want to only gain about 2-3 lbs by my next appointment. And with the holidays coming up, it's going to be hard for me to tell people that I'm not eating for two; that I'm actually eating for about 1 and 1/4.

Thank you for sharing. You have a great attitude and you're going to be a wonderfully healthy mommy when your little one gets here!

I definitely had the "don't ask, don't tell" mentality while pregnant with my son (my first pregnancy - I'm early on in my second right now). My OB is an awesome lady, and I was already overweight to start. I gained about 65 pounds while pregnant. The only time she mentioned it is when I gained too much between two appointments (a month apart) and said that if I had gained similarly or more at my next appointment, she would put me on a special diet. Well, the month I gained a lot, I had been on a cruise, so you can imagine that my next month's visit did not show a gain (in fact, I may have even posted a loss). Anyway, point being, she pretty much ignored the issue, and in retrospect, I wish she hadn't. I didn't develop gestational diabetes, so perhaps it wasn't at the top of their list of concerns.

Strangely enough, I saw her about two weeks ago for my first prenatal visit for this pregnancy, and she couldn't stop complimenting me on how much weight I'd lost. She was thrilled that I had done it by logging and exercising and encouraged me to continue working out. (I'd lost 82 pounds from my two months postpartum weight to getting pregnant this time.)
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that weight is a sensitive topic. It is so taboo to tell someone they are overweight in our society. (Strangely enough, it is perfectly acceptable to tell someone they are too skinny and to eat up!)
    People simply don't like to be told to "watch their weight" while being pregnant.
    Some women would groan at a Dr. that told them to watch thei weight while being pregnant and be convinced that it isn't healthy when you are "growing a little person inside you".
    ...and besides, you don't want to encourage insecurities in some people who already largely lack self-esteem. Which could lead in depression/anxiety in itself...which isn't healthy neither.
    Overall, it is difficult to discuss the weight topic being a doctor as it would be for you to tell a friend that they should "watch their weight".

lavieasrose- BTW, love your blog! and congrats! - you look like a super cute pregnant lady... those pounds will drop quickly post-partum...you're all belly :)
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Overall, it is difficult to discuss the weight topic being a doctor as it would be for you to tell a friend that they should "watch their weight".

lavieasrose- BTW, love your blog! and congrats! - you look like a super cute pregnant lady... those pounds will drop quickly post-partum...you're all belly :)

Very true, plus if you are overweight yourself (as the doctor), it comes across as a little hypocritical!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Also, back to the OP - I love the blog post :happy: I can totally relate, too! I love the pictures of you when you were little, and I love love love the 2004 picture with your doggie. I have to ask, is that's a Cavalier King Charles or just some other cute breed/mixed breed? I love his/her ruby red fur!
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that weight is a sensitive topic. It is so taboo to tell someone they are overweight in our society. (Strangely enough, it is perfectly acceptable to tell someone they are too skinny and to eat up!)
    People simply don't like to be told to "watch their weight" while being pregnant.
    Some women would groan at a Dr. that told them to watch thei weight while being pregnant and be convinced that it isn't healthy when you are "growing a little person inside you".
    ...and besides, you don't want to encourage insecurities in some people who already largely lack self-esteem. Which could lead in depression/anxiety in itself...which isn't healthy neither.

That is a really good point. It's probably as sensitive a topic for doctor's as it is for mom's. And you do run into a lot of emotional aspects of body image. I've always been very comfortable with my body image, but pregnancy is challenging my high self-esteem.

Too much weight gain is bad for the baby as well as the mommy and I definitely don't want to make my first delivery more difficult than it has to be. After the baby is here, I will probably be very grateful that I kept my weight gain reasonable and I should probably keep that in mind over the next 4ish months.

Thank you ladies for helping me reassert my dedication to reasonable weight gain! Have a good day!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who read/commented on my blog! It's good to know I'm not just talking to myself when I post these things! And I love hearing what you think.

@RBX: That is my friend's Cavalier King Charles spaniel. She is a total sweetheart. Funny you commented on her ruby fur, her name is Ruby. :-)