I can't what now!!! UGH! 10/25

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
I am not trying to insight fear just awareness...challenge yourself to not only eat healthy but use healthy eating practices in your home washing your hands before you start cooking. Don't use same knife to cut meats and veggies and fruits. Store foods at correct temperatures. I am not too sure our favorite manufactures and distributers of our favorite foods are doing the same! Here is a resource to see if any of your favorite foods are on the recall list. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER...if we put into action.

http://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls/default.htm

Peace,
WW

Replies

• theMrsisGonnagetFit
    Options
    Thank you!
  • m0mofw4r
    m0mofw4r Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oooh! Knives and cutting boards! One for veggies and fruit one for meat.
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    my cutting boards... glass only for meats (no chance of absorbtion!!!!) and wood for veggies! after years in the restaurant business, i'm so overly particular about my cooking and baking habits! also, remember to wipe down fridge/freezer handles after handling meats/eggs...
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Random factoid: you toilet seat is more sterile than your kitchen counter. However I'm NOT suggesting you eat off your toilet seat.
  • loquaciousloser
    loquaciousloser Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Husband works with food plants, making sure they are clean so believe me he makes sure we are too. :) Now if I could just get my mother on board. :)
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Random factoid: you toilet seat is more sterile than your kitchen counter. However I'm NOT suggesting you eat off your toilet seat.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha ha haaaaa! Okay you made my day at work bc busy and I feel crazy but you made me laugh!!!!!!!!!! Whooo HOOO!

Ms Oboeing...you are the bomb! Thanks for the knowledge and feel free to teach us anything else we may be doing wrong in the kitchen!
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options

I would have to beg a differ.... I live with three boys.... 2 under the age of 6 lol
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I will need to be more careful.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Uhhhh.... I wouldn't want to test that theory. :sick: And, I'm not sure who would. :laugh:
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the laughs and wisdom. You all are fabulous!
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Okay, I had time to actually read the list...oh boy! Salmonella is in everything including ground PEPPER!!!!!!! Gasp!
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    other random tips i can come up with....
    always store raw meat on the bottom shelf... remove the possibility of it dripping on anything below it
    when washing your hands, sing "happy birthday to you" at normal speed twice...
    you've heard that if you overuse antibacterials, eventually they'll just get used to it (same thing that happened to penecillin...), but did you know overuse can also kill good bacteria that live on your skin and help fight off infection?
    definitely use paper towels to turn off the water after you've washed, because otherwise, you're recovering your hands in whatever was on them when you turned the water on before you washed...

one other thought on that last one... i was a biotech major, and we did a project where we swabbed all over the bathroom and grew bacterial cultures from them. the cleanest place, was indeed the toilet. the worst? yup, the faucets....
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    EEEEEEEW!!!!!!!! Okay Mr AAK I guess we all owe you one since Ms Oboeing just gave you the ace!!!
  • loquaciousloser
    loquaciousloser Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just joined the group, this was my first challenge and I look forward to more. Thanks for being so welcoming! :)

lisa
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard Lisa!

Also, the bathroom thing was on Mythbusters a few years back:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLMUasyxkfA