What's the deal w/all the negativity towards running?

Options
Jedi_Jewel
Jedi_Jewel Posts: 83 Member
Since I started running, I have heard and felt such negativity from those around me. I do not boast about my achievements, nor do I talk running all day long. Heck, I'm about to run my first half marathon, and only those closest to me know about it. I've heard it all, running is bad for me, it's stupid to run so many miles, or just the look I get when I turn down an alcoholic beverage on a Friday night because I have a long run in the morning. What gives? Do you guys get the same treatment??

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Yep. Either those people will begin to accept what it is that you choose to do, you leave them by the wayside, or they continue to run their yappers and irritate the bejesus out of you.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced this at all.... in fact, people have been really encouraging.

Either I'm lucky or you're unlucky :smile:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I did, to small degree, when I started running.....the old running will wreck your knees etc etc.

I've found that over the years my circle of friends has changed somewhat as a result of running and, interestingly, I have a number clients who (previously unknown to me) are or were runners and I've also got a few clients who (purely coincidentally) started running around the same time as I did.

I suspect there are a great many people out there who have never experienced the rewards of a great Sunday morning run and have fallen victim themselves to the media hype surrounding runners dying while running marathons (you'd think they were dropping like flies) and then there are those that are just lazy - if it smacks of effort it deserves to be put down (the same people will say nasty things about weightlifters too)

I also think part of the problem is that, frankly, we're weird. Many of us tend to be somewhat obsessive about our goals (if you weren't you'd never get to the half-marathon or marathon distances), for many of us it's a solitary pursuit (even when you're running in a group you're running alone, there's no teammate to pass the ball to) and a lot of people can't conceive of an almost mystical experience coming from something so simple as putting one foot in front of the other.

Embrace the commitment and the pain and the solitude and when you cross the finish line (with a big grin on your face) for your half marathon you'll know that they were all wrong!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Who are the people around you? sometimes it's really important to consider the source. I've heard all the negative running comments too "oh aren't marathons really hard on your body?", "wow, you must have a lot of time on your hands to dedicate to running, I'm MUCH too busy to do that", 'you're going to have terrible knees when you get older", "come on, it's just one run, you can totally miss it", "you're crazy, you know that?"

I consider the source. If it's someone who has run or is willing to try it out I might take them a bit more seriously. But mostly these comments come from people who have never run a day in their lives. Running, particularly long distance running, is a lifestyle choice which comes with certain consequences. One of them is needing to learn to smile and nod and then going out and pounding the pavement to work the negativity out of your system. After all, those who naysay running will never experience the pure joy that comes from finishing a long run.

My favourite thought on it? (and I'm paraphrasing from a book) Running is not fun. People who say that running is fun are liars. What's fun is the moment you stop running. Tomorrow I'm running 20 k for the heck of it, imagine how amazing it will feel when I get to stop after THAT.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced this at all.... in fact, people have been really encouraging.

Either I'm lucky or you're unlucky :smile:

Ditto. All my friends have been really supportive, and some have also become runners.
  • Jedi_Jewel
    Jedi_Jewel Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Embrace the commitment and the pain and the solitude and when you cross the finish line (with a big grin on your face) for your half marathon you'll know that they were all wrong!
    [/quote]

Thank you!! I love your outlook on things!
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    I get the: "Why do you do that to yourself?" Deep down, I ask myself the same question.

Or, the "Oh, I could never do that..."

What is the point of going out and pounding the miles? One day, I was on a run with my roommate after a couple months of running and I said-- "I'm literally so happy right now. I can, at the drop of a hat, go out and run six to eight miles and not even have to think twice about it." For me, it comes with a great sense of pride and satisfaction, it allows me to burn off excess energy which helps me sleep better, and on the whole, it keeps me in better shape than anything else.

One of my goals in my profile is to never allow my body's limitations to get in the way of something that I want to do. I love having the piece of mind that I'm physically fit and able to run a certain distance at a certain pace without stopping.

Why do people dislike or have negative feelings towards running? Simple. Because it's hard. It makes you sore at first, you may pick up an injury along the way, it can be lonely (which is a blessing for some of us!). It requires a constant commitment to maintain your physical fitness. There are no shortcuts.

My best friend from college said he would never run a marathon. I told him to come watch me at my first one. He stood at mile 25 with his girlfriend waiting for me. He said that the experience was so transformative, that it was now on his bucket list.

But to echo what others have said - a number of people around me have been very supportive, but I have heard bits and pieces of the other stuff.
  • LisaR517
    Options
    I did, to small degree, when I started running.....the old running will wreck your knees etc etc.

I've found that over the years my circle of friends has changed somewhat as a result of running and, interestingly, I have a number clients who (previously unknown to me) are or were runners and I've also got a few clients who (purely coincidentally) started running around the same time as I did.

I suspect there are a great many people out there who have never experienced the rewards of a great Sunday morning run and have fallen victim themselves to the media hype surrounding runners dying while running marathons (you'd think they were dropping like flies) and then there are those that are just lazy - if it smacks of effort it deserves to be put down (the same people will say nasty things about weightlifters too)

I also think part of the problem is that, frankly, we're weird. Many of us tend to be somewhat obsessive about our goals (if you weren't you'd never get to the half-marathon or marathon distances), for many of us it's a solitary pursuit (even when you're running in a group you're running alone, there's no teammate to pass the ball to) and a lot of people can't conceive of an almost mystical experience coming from something so simple as putting one foot in front of the other.

Love this
  • kaybeau
    kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have found that I am the last to join up to running all of a sudden there are runners everywhere!!! Its great that so many people think its a fab idea
  • jsheehan46
    jsheehan46 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow - sorry to hear this! Typically people being negative is a result of bad feelings in their life....I wouldn't take it personal. I have never really had this around running, but I did have some off comments when training for ironman - some people just don't get the need to be active or the release it brings.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a liar. I do think running is fun. I think it's an amazing feeling, I like the way it feels to push hard and to sweat, I love to run in the trees beside the water, watching the wildlife. I like heading out the door when it is still dark, or crunching through the now or listening to the echoing fog. I love my moving meditation, my time alone to just listen to my audiobook, my heartbeat, and my feet on the pavement. Running is super fun.
    My favourite thought on it? (and I'm paraphrasing from a book) Running is not fun. People who say that running is fun are liars. What's fun is the moment you stop running. Tomorrow I'm running 20 k for the heck of it, imagine how amazing it will feel when I get to stop after THAT.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    You get this with all forms of training

"dont eat too much, you'll get fat"

"your not eating enough, you'll die"

"dont squat so much, your back will explode"

"If you run, you wont have knees when your 30"

etc etc
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a liar. I do think running is fun. I think it's an amazing feeling, I like the way it feels to push hard and to sweat, I love to run in the trees beside the water, watching the wildlife. I like heading out the door when it is still dark, or crunching through the now or listening to the echoing fog. I love my moving meditation, my time alone to just listen to my audiobook, my heartbeat, and my feet on the pavement. Running is super fun.

I agree - I think it is fun too. There are some runs that are not fun, that are a complete slog, and there are moments on good runs that aren't so fun, but there are so many zen moments during most runs, that the process itself is so fun - not just finishing the run.

I mostly get a ton of support and admiration from people that know I run (It helps that I have completely transformed myself physicaly), but I do hear the old "isn't that bad for your knees", etc. I just tell them that I really work on having good form, use more minimalist shoes so my body does what it is supposed to. Throw the quote "People don't stop running because they get old, they get old because they stop running" at them.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I don't care really... I like to run and people can either accept it or don't... not gonna stop me :-)
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I mainly have received support for running. Only I believe do I get negativity from people who know very little about the benefits from running.
    I always believe it is best to socialize with people that are supportive of who you are and what makes you tick.
    I also believe it makes sense to let people have their own opinion, even if they are wrong and don't try to make them a convert.

Just have awesome fun with your running and we are all behind you
    Saka
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Not all runs are fun, but I have quite a few that truly are. I am smiling and feeling great during the run. Sometimes you get that feeling that you can run forever and that is fun!!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I have found quite a bit of negativity when I mention running...and actually many things that have to do with my decision to be more health conscious. My stepfather gave me the it'll wreck your knees line to which I thought...I would probably wreck YOUR knees (I've been waiting for and encouraging he and my mother to decide to change their lifestyles, too.)

Some things I just don't understand;

When someone asks where my vehicle is and I say I ran and they say "Why?" I think "Why not?"

Why someone would offer to give me a ride when I say I'm going to run home, to an exercise class, etc.

When I first started working out I was killing it and not taking in enough protein which wrecked my nails. I'm still trying to fix them and I told my mom I was taking a protein supplement. She replied "maybe you're not getting enough fat." She's an RN. She knows d*** well protein builds nails hair and skin.

i don't think most people are negative on purpose or out of spite, but I think at the root of it they are a little jealous, especially if healthfulness isn't a decision they have been able to make for themselves. And, it manifests in what they say. Also- people who aren't fit (and I hope I can say this without being offensive as I very recently was un-fit) make excuses for why they are overweight, cannot run, overeat, etc. My step dad can't run bc it will hurt his knees. And he transfers it to me.
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard any negativity. People in my life are encouraging- there are a few runners in my extended family so that probably helps. As far as I'm concerned, if they want the best for you then they will encourage you. Don't pay any attention to negativity! They probably don't know what they're talking about.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    For me, running is like every other aspect of my life: Some people get it, most people don't. I could spend my time explaining away why I run (actually, I do triathlon, so yes I run. But I also swim and bike.). But who cares, really. People who don't get it won't start getting it just because I tried to explain it to them. People who don't want to do it won't start wanting to do it just because I told them of the thrills it gives me. So that's pointless.

As far as loving it goes? Well, just like Life, there are days when I love it, days when I hate it, days when the heavens open up and choirs of angels sing to me while I run, and days when the devil is behind me poking my legs n hips, or even worse, he's in my head. Not every run is rose petals and champagne. But the overall experience of running is true joy.

So, like so many other aspects of my life, I don't really care about the naysayers. Nor do I really care all that much about those people that love running. Jeez, half the time, THEY'RE more annoying than the naysayers. I just go do my thing, have my fun, experience my joy. And The World is all good.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yep I get that all the time. "Running is bad for you" & "your knees will hate you later in life" "it's not safe for someone like you to run" (not sure what they meant by that)

I'm sick of it. I run cause I can not walk fast, because my run gets me there faster & feels good. I run cause I love it.