INTRODUCTIONS

Options
imwithgizmo
imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
Welcome to the ADD/ADHD Group! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Replies

• imwithgizmo
    Options
    My name is Sandy. I was dx with ADHD about 9 years ago, after my son was dx.

The way it contributed to my weight gain wasn't clear to me until many years after I'd gained. I was a single mom, staying at home, and was bored as I couldn't afford to go anywhere. So I started cooking more. I also ate more. One day I stopped on my way to the kitchen (again) and realized that all through the day I was going back and forth to the kitchen to get food. I didn't yet know what ADHD was. I realized years later that I was bored.

Boredom for me is hard as I'm not able to focus on projects very well. I knew people who could do knitting projects, sewing, home repairs, and such, to completion. I never finished a project because they just couldn't hold my attention. Food did, at least for a while, then I'd go get more. I finally enrolled in school and that helped a lot.

I wish I'd known about ADHD when I was younger. It would have explained so much! I can look back on my childhood now and see it so clearly.

I'm unable to take stimulant meds. I had A-Fib in June and had to get my heart shocked back into rhythm, so that is not an option any longer. I'm trying to learn more to find better ways to cope.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm Sound.

I've been diangonised with ADHD ever since I could remember to write. I was on ritlin for all my elementary and most of my middle school years- so needless to say my pubenace was a little screwed up. I didn't start having a menstration cycle until I was at least 18, and that was only because it was induced by birthcontrol.

Basicly three hundred pounds later, and will power, I've decided to kick the meds- both birth control (In a sexual relatiosnhip where I don't have to worry about getting pregnant thumbs up), and any thing else to 'help focus'. I do take fish oil, and work out- both of which seem to really help my focus a lot.

But thats where I'm coming from, and it works for me. My roommate's a little more sever, and she has to take something 'every now and then'. But we both help eachother in the long run with the ADD stuff.
  • gotpigs
    gotpigs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was a child, taking Ritalin. I think I was bouncing off of the walls and couldn't focus worth crap. Then it really became apparent in later lafe. No focus, impulsiveness, switching conversation topics in about 2.5 nanoseconds, that kind of thing-

The thing that really sabotaged my bariatric surgery the first time is because it was from the mindless eating, I believe caused by the racing thoughts going through my head. I always used food as a solace or celebration to whatever I was feeling. I'm NOT going to repeat that now that I've gone through surgery a second time!

I am a full-time college student now, all online classes, and it is difficult for me to adjust. I keep jumping from one thing to the next in between assignments, i.e.-I get tired of working on one, so I'll be in the middle of it and start another one. Then, it will take me until the next day to finish either of them because EVERYTHING else gets in the way of that! There is absolutely NO order to my life whatsoever...

So yeah, I raise both hands and feet in agreement that I am possessed with ADD. I deal with it.
  • ziltryin64
    Options
    I just joined MFP today. I was browsing the message board topics and was excited, curious and surprised to find this group. I have ADD. Not ADHD or I wouldn't be fat! If I had the hyperactivity, I would be a mover and a shaker.....instead, am minutes away from 300lbs again and I am Freaking Out!! I start and stop, start and stop. Every decision in my life is major. Every action or occurrence of events is dramatic. I haven't known a day without pain in over 2 months, maybe even 3. I know what I need to do to lose weight, yet I sit in his chair and procrastinate my life away. Well, I guess I have made a huge step here by signing up and even a bigger step by posting on this board. Good luck me.
  • alienelyssa21
    Options
    I was diagnosed with ADD when I was about 15, and looking back it makes sense as to why I never exceeded in some classes. The boredom is madness, I eat when I am bored, and since the kitchen isn't too far, it is too easy to continually eat and eat. I have only been on meds once, I quit and never looked back. I am somewhat able to manage my ADD but, the boredom is what gets me every day.
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Hi Swaty here.
    I was diagnosed with ADD in college. I always had great grades but I can never do one thing at a time, I am always hyperactive and get bored so easily and extremely impatient. I can grasp stuff real quick but I lag behind when attention need to be paid to finer details. Also I'm constantly grazing or nibbling. Especially when I need to concentrate on something, like during tests or when I am stressed.
    My parents refused to believe the doc and never put me on meds and so I've been my hyper self for as long as I can remember.
    It has a few perks ,I multitask all the time.
    I can never study without the tv on or some moie playing that gets me really frustrated.
  • cdspark
    cdspark Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I was finally diagnosed after I quit my job to raise my kids and everything started falling apart. Without the structure of going to work and having a set routine when I got home at nite I was lost. So two or three years into it I finally went to see the doc. Was put on a series of meds, none of which I take now. I believe both my kids have it, one is medicated one is not.

Does anyone find diets and excercise especially difficult to keep interesting? I start off great but I tend to fall down very quickly. Any suggestions?
  • imwithgizmo
    Options
    Hello,

I was finally diagnosed after I quit my job to raise my kids and everything started falling apart. Without the structure of going to work and having a set routine when I got home at nite I was lost. So two or three years into it I finally went to see the doc. Was put on a series of meds, none of which I take now. I believe both my kids have it, one is medicated one is not.

Does anyone find diets and excercise especially difficult to keep interesting? I start off great but I tend to fall down very quickly. Any suggestions?

Hi! Welcome to the group!

I keep it interesting by trying different recipes often. I also tend to eat the same things a lot, so having variety once in a while is good. I also eat when I'm bored, so I have to vary my workouts too. For cooking, spices help me stay interested, like trying a curry, or something spicy, something tangy, sweet, etc. I also like different textures, like crunchy, mushy, chewy, etc.

It's definitely trial & error!
  • notyourgirl842012
    Options
    Hi I was just diagnosed with adhd as were two of my children and I'm not even sure where to start. I have trouble sticking to diets and workouts. what are some tricks to help keep me on track?
  • imwithgizmo
    Options
    Hi I was just diagnosed with adhd as were two of my children and I'm not even sure where to start. I have trouble sticking to diets and workouts. what are some tricks to help keep me on track?

Do what you can to keep it simple. Also, get outside and get plenty of fresh air, and sun, if possible. Keep away from processed foods with any food coloring in them, as that has been proven to affect those with ADHD, especially the kids.

Just try to eat as clean as you can, and get some activity, and track everything you eat, and drink lots of water!
  • cdspark
    cdspark Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Hi! Welcome to the group!

I keep it interesting by trying different recipes often. I also tend to eat the same things a lot, so having variety once in a while is good. I also eat when I'm bored, so I have to vary my workouts too. For cooking, spices help me stay interested, like trying a curry, or something spicy, something tangy, sweet, etc. I also like different textures, like crunchy, mushy, chewy, etc.

It's definitely trial & error!

I eat the same thing all the time too. I just seems easier, but sooooo boring. Maybe I could try something new once a week - thanks!
  • sassy_sparkles
    Options
    I"m Rachel. I was diagnosed about 6 months ago, but I've really known I'm ADHD my whole life. I tend to eat mindlessly and when I'm bored. I will sometimes find myself eating and then step back and realize I don't even remember going into the kitchen.
  • imwithgizmo
    Options
    I"m Rachel. I was diagnosed about 6 months ago, but I've really known I'm ADHD my whole life. I tend to eat mindlessly and when I'm bored. I will sometimes find myself eating and then step back and realize I don't even remember going into the kitchen.

Hi Rachel! Welcome to the group!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Donyelle.
  • imwithgizmo
    Options
    Hi there! Welcome (a little late)!
  • aroniwen
    Options
    Hi!

I'm Alice, I was just recently diagnosed with ADHD at 26, after years of unsuccessful treatment for depression and anxiety. It was a bit of a relief as it gave me a lot of understanding of why I found some things so difficult when everyone else seemed to have such an easy time. It has also given me some tools that I am hoping will be really useful in the long run. Honestly- until a couple of months ago I had no idea that adult women could even have ADHD.

Like a lot of you, I am sure, I was heavily into sports as a kid/teen/uni student, spending about 26 hours a week training- and competing all over the country. I guess that it was a pretty effective method of self treatment, and it certainly helped keep me more settled!

I didn't start to really struggle with my weight until I stopped competing after university and got a desk job (that is a whole other struggle!) and found that I often ate when bored and restless- and now I wasn't exercising enough to keep the weight off. I also have trouble getting myself organized enough to shop and make meals in advance. Now I want to get back into a regular exercise program as a part of my treatment, and start eating more healthily. I need to lose about 30lbs to be at my most healthy weight.

One of the things I am worried about is that I have just started on a medication which apparently reduces perception of hunger- and I have noticed over the last week that I just don't feel hungry at meals. I don't want to let that transition into not eating enough. Has anyone else had this experience? How did you deal with it?

Sorry if this is too long!
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. My name is Rachel and I have ADD, DD, OCD, and PTSD, I know, a LOT of disorders. I'm just coming to realize this now in my adult stage but haven't necessarily let it affect me on the outside. I act and look "normal". For years I just thought I was stupid, never could stay on task, etc and now that I'm coming to terms with myself, I'm looking forwards to giving and getting support from people in my neck of the woods.
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm Alice, I was just recently diagnosed with ADHD at 26, after years of unsuccessful treatment for depression and anxiety. It was a bit of a relief as it gave me a lot of understanding of why I found some things so difficult when everyone else seemed to have such an easy time. It has also given me some tools that I am hoping will be really useful in the long run. Honestly- until a couple of months ago I had no idea that adult women could even have ADHD.

Like a lot of you, I am sure, I was heavily into sports as a kid/teen/uni student, spending about 26 hours a week training- and competing all over the country. I guess that it was a pretty effective method of self treatment, and it certainly helped keep me more settled!

I didn't start to really struggle with my weight until I stopped competing after university and got a desk job (that is a whole other struggle!) and found that I often ate when bored and restless- and now I wasn't exercising enough to keep the weight off. I also have trouble getting myself organized enough to shop and make meals in advance. Now I want to get back into a regular exercise program as a part of my treatment, and start eating more healthily. I need to lose about 30lbs to be at my most healthy weight.

One of the things I am worried about is that I have just started on a medication which apparently reduces perception of hunger- and I have noticed over the last week that I just don't feel hungry at meals. I don't want to let that transition into not eating enough. Has anyone else had this experience? How did you deal with it?

Sorry if this is too long!

Hello Alice. I understand what you mean about appetite loss. I'm currently taking the occasional Adderall XR and I will forget to eat at times as it doesn't make me very hungry. I suppose the only thing you can do is set reminders and post it notes reminding yourself to eat at least a few small meals. I hope this helps.
  • aroniwen
    Options
    Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the tip! I've set up email reminders at work, which has been really helpful, now all I have to tackle is the weekends. I find that everything is harder to organize when I have a lot of unstructured time.

Glad to see someone else joining the group!
  • brandilc
    brandilc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Brandi.
    I was dx with ADD just two weeks ago.
    I never would have suspected that I had ADD. I would've been the last person I'd suspect.
    I have suspected just about everything else under the sun, trying to find out what was wrong with me. Nothing btw.
    My husband is classic ADHD, and was finally and officially dx earlier this year with my urging.
    I've read blogs and articles about ADHD because of his diagnosis and started to suspect.
    I talked to my husband and he said, "You?". Then he read an article about ADHD in women.
    I read it and decided I needed to be screened. Not because of the article, but because I felt like my life was out of control. I was riddled with stress and anxiety and guilt and because this is a weight loss board and not an ADD board, I will change my focus and talk about that.

It may come as a surprise, but I am really good at focusing on any one thing, such as dieting/working out. For about three to six months. Then something happens (I lose a little weight or start to get into shape and lose interest, school starts back after summer break and my schedule adjusts, or family comes to visit - it can literally be anything) and throws me off of my groove and I cannot get back to the gym or get back to a diet. That very thing happened this past August. I CAN NOT get back to the gym. I have now gained back the weight I lost over the summer and my clothes are now fitting just as uncomfortably as they did last winter. I have always beat myself up for feeling lazy or unmotivated. An unexplainable force has kept me from going back to the gym. Every morning I think about it. But I run out of time. Every evening I think about it, but I'm exhausted from stress at work and chaos with kids. I feel like now I have an answer for why (ADD). But that hasn't helped me to get to the gym. Although, ironically, exercise is touted as being vital for people with ADD. I'm self-destructing here!

I feel like structure would help, but the idea of setting up a schedule or a diet plan sends me into a panic. Like, literally my heart starts to beat faster and my head starts to feel pressure, and my face flushes. I feel like I need someone to write me out a schedule - literally to give me an hourly plan of what to do every day. And while they are at it I would love a menu made out with personalized low carb (ugh!), high protein foods that are ADD friendly. And a shopping list would be nice too.

Several years back I joined SlimFast's online planning thingy and it was great. It gave you a menu and you could add your own recipes or choose one of theirs from a database, or you could add in Slim Fast products (although you didn't have to). It tracked your calories/fat/protein/carbs/vitamins/etcstuffIforget, and told you what you needed more of. Sound familiar somewhat? The difference between it and MFP is that it already had a menu planned out and you could tweak it if you wanted to. Why don't I use it anymore? Because they completely changed it to integrate/market their products more. Good for them, but I'm lost without it. I float in and out of diet success and failure.

The bright side: I'm hoping that my ADD dx will be motivation (eventually, when I get around to doing it) to continue working out more long term.

Side note: Is it bad that I find humor in the fact that the ADHD group postings are so sporadic?

Another side note: Sorry this is choppy; what can I say?

Anyway, I hope to get to meet some other people that need to work out for their sanity. I wish I knew how to meet someone in my area that I could meet to work out, but darn the irony, I'm slightly disconnected socially and even if I knew how to make new ADD friends, I don't seem to be very good at keeping them : )