Gluten Free Bread

Options
I have been getting the Udi bread, but I felt bloated every time that I ate it. There are egg whites in it. Maybe that is why. ???

I got the Food 4 Life bread, which has no egg whites, and it was like eating a sponge. Not that I have ever eaten a sponge, but this is what I would imagine a sponge would taste like. Am I the only one? Have any of you had this bread?

Replies

• MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    I have, but i have to put it in the toaster on high not burnt but super crispy then i feel like i am having an awesome deli sandwhich with crispy bread. Not bad that way.
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have had it on my lazy( I don't feel like baking) week and had no issue. Maybe it is the eggs I don't know.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The only GF bread I eat untoasted is homemade bread. I think it all tastes like sponges, too.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any grains, so Udi's is out for me. Kiddo likes Udi's and Glutino "Genius" bread and Kinnickinnick white sandwich bread. All have eggs, I believe. I make my own grain-free vegan bread/buns.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon for people with Celiac to have IBS as well. If you were diagnosed with Celiac then you could have both, but if you eliminated gluten as an elimination diet of your own, wheat has a type of sugar in it that can irritate IBS people. Try a low carb diet for a week and see if you have any relief; or you can try a FODMAPS diet and only eliminate known offenders.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    my son loves Kinnickinnick white sandwich bread right now, he didn't like udi's which surprised me as it seems to get the #1 rating for it.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The only GF bread we've found that we like is Udi's!

Udi's has many different varieties though, so maybe mix it up and try a different kind?

our favorite is the millet-chia bread (chia is a super food and higher in protein than other breads)

the cinnamon raisin is also delicious
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I second the cinnamon raisin! Didn't find it, though when I went to the store today; hopefully, next time.
  • patriciareese
    Options
    I do! I order my Gluten Free bread online from Gluten Free Palace, but they DO have several other options of gluten free bread you could choose from as well. Take a look and let me know what you think.
    http://www.glutenfreepalace.com/Gluten-Free-Bread-s/29.htm
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Make your own.

http://www.proteinpow.com/2012/04/organic-whey-protein-bread-serrano-ham.html

^This is great; though I substitute quinoa instead of buckwheat, 'cause it tastes like *kitten*. Or coconut flakes.
  • matchpoint312
    matchpoint312 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Last night, I baked the Bob Red Mill's Gluten Free Homemade Bread. It's pretty good! I wanted a bread that was less rice and corn starches (for glycemic reasons) and this one lists garbanzo flour as the first ingredient. I would maybe add a little salt to the dough next time and some savory spices if wanting to make it more like a focaccia because it is very moist.

I've read that coconut flour is high in fiber and a good substitute for the other flours but none of the prepared GF brands seem to use this...probably because it's more expensive.
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Thanks for the link! I love making new stuff with protein powder and these recipes look so good!
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I second Bob's Red Mill. :) smells gross when preparing it but once it is in the oven it smells fantastic... and it tastes much better then the pre packaged kind. Also you dont have to toast it.. :)