I am serious...NO REALLY!

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Ok, since I have to brave the crowds and get some water and more ice then but yet I do have an emergency bag ready (the public health nurse in me) flashlights etc but also...for those of you on medications do you have a full supply? Try to make a habit not to wait till ONE pill or injection left...don't forget if you have a pet you need an emergency bag for them too! I had one for my pooper when she was alive. Have some cash available bc ATMs won't work if power out too! If yoiu don't have a manual phone get one just to keep in home bc how will you call anyone if your cell goes out.

Challenge: get prepared even if you don't live near east coast you live in an area that has SOMETHING! Tornado, fires, floods, hurricanes, storms blizzards...you know your area!
If have questions let me know.
http://www.ready.gov/sites/default/files/documents/files/checklist_1.pdf

Peace,
WW

Replies

• lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, I doubt I am prepared. But it might be fun (as long as it were not life threatening) to try. I always did like Scouts. For you parents you could always do a roll play drill and make it a fun family event. Get your tents out too. I am not going that far but this is something to check out and see if I pass.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not prepared; however, I live on the 9th floor in the middle of the city, so there are some things that I'm ignoring.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Having lived through a few hurricanes your primary concerns should be:

- Bottled water (or a clean filtration system)
    - Independent lighting (flash lights are great, but get something long lasting, like candles or lamps)
    - AM/FM radio (Be sure it runs on batteries and you have plenty on hand)
    - Batteries (Not just for the radio, but the flashlights and stuff too)
    - Car chargers (Almost any small appliance should be capable of running on a car charger. You can even get universals that run limited 110 plugs)
    - Ice (or in a pinch you can use pre-frozen plastic bottles. fill you freezer with them) (Also remember to keep the door closed)
    - Something to cook with (We have a portable gas stove and a couple BBQ grills. Both work fine.)

Honestly, in a normal area that's about all you'll need. By the time you need to forage for more food once your ice melts there will more than likely be at least one route you can get out through that will get you to an area with electricity and supplies.

Oh, and EAT YOUR FROZEN FOOD FIRST! It's the first to go bad and ice becomes non-liquid gold without electrical power.
  • GottaLoveRenee
    GottaLoveRenee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm a Florida native and everything I need for a hurricane is almost always in my garage. Add sterno cans to your list. They are inexpensive and last for years. Even non-smokers need matches / lighters. It pays to be prepared. I am so with you on the meds. You never know, storms can turn in an instant. Just a few years ago, I remember having to boil water on the grill because we didn't have power for almost a week. It humbles you back to simplicity though. :-)
  • loquaciousloser
    loquaciousloser Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We just installed a winch on the Jeep, does that count, lol. We felt it was good to be prepared before winter hits. :0) Stay safe!