Workout frequency & cardio

Options
michellekicks
michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
Does anyone do SL5x5 every 3rd day?

I don't want to give up my running but I also don't want it to negatively impact what I'm doing with SL. So I've been doing a rotation of lifting, off day, running, lifting, off, running... but that gets me 7 of each workout in 3 weeks. Anyone else do this or are you doing it just every other day?

If you do every other day, do you run or do cardio as well? I've cut my runs down to (mostly) 45 minutes or less with the occasional 60-70 minute aerobic pace run in there. But usually it's 30-45 mins of hills, speed work etc.

I'm eating right around TDEE and still seem to be shedding belly fat, and I'm able to progress each workout (5lbs per lift) but I'm worried I'm not lifting frequently enough.

How often do you lift? And do you add isolation exercises?

Thanks,

Replies

• Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hey MrsBig :)

I generally do SL on Sun, Tues, Thurs and run on Mon, Wed, Sat... but my runs are generally only 3 miles or so (30 minutes). So far, I don't think it's had a negative impact, but I'm fairly new at this myself. I've also found myself switching between SL and NROL exercises as I'm just not feeling it as much with SL. Basically do some higher rep stuff (6-8) instead of the 5x5 as I tend to feel more muscle fatigue and sore the next day. Guess I like the soreness as it tells me I'm doing something. :) Maybe it's not necessary, but mental for me just the same.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I've had several weeks where I only lifted 2x/week.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Best results when lifting 3x a week imo. But there's nothing wrong with doing less. But of course you can't expect to get the best possible results out of it.

I had to give up running completely because at some point my legs couldnt handle squatting 180lbs (I think thats about where I stopped) and running a few miles the day after. :laugh: Do whatever works best for your body, but if you want the max results from SL5x5 at some point you might have to make one a priority.

As for isolation exercises, the program says you can add pull ups and dips.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I lift 2-3 times a week. It's hard for me to make it more than twice because my gym doesn't have childcare. Last week I was able to make it on Sunday because my parents took my son with them to church. This weekend I had no such luck, so it's only going to be 2x this week. 2x is better than none :)

I am also thinking about adding in pull ups at the end of my work outs. Only because I want to be able to do a freaking pull up! lol
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I lift 4-5 days a week and usually do cardio 1-2 times a week depending on my time/schedule.

If you're shedding fat and putting weight on the bar every week, then keep doing what you're doing-why change anything? If/when you plateau then it's time to make changes.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    If you're shedding fat and putting weight on the bar every week, then keep doing what you're doing-why change anything? If/when you plateau then it's time to make changes.

Hmmm... that's so logical! Thanks. I keep "feeling" like I won't be able to lift heavier the next time, so I'm just maybe anticipating a plateau or something. It's getting hard. But thanks for your message. I actually didn't think about it that way.