Critically ill cat......

Options
ladymiseryali
ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
My fiance's cat is very ill right now. She stopped eating and is wobbly on her feet and lethargic. She's also dropped so much weight. I know the logical thing is to get her into the vet ASAP, but we're on long island and the storm is pretty much on its way. For now, I've been assist-feeding her 80ccs of food a day and today we got non-flavored pedialyte for possible dehydration issues.

Her symptoms are pointing to CRF, cancer, hyperthyroidism or all three......so in other words, she's more than likely not going to make it to Thanksgiving. This really sucks because we lost a cat last year around this time in a similar fashion. She's old, which could also be a factor, but she was doing decently two months ago. She was eating on her own and was starting to put on weight that she had lost due to the stress of losing her friend and other factors.....now she's just so frail and so weak. I've accepted that we may have to make the call to put her to sleep. She can't do any of the things she used to do and enjoy. She's not happy anymore. It may just be her time.....

So yea, this is just a terrible month right now and I stress-ate a little bit today. I feel like crap now because I know stress-eating isn't helping anyone......

Ugh.

Replies

• AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's what happened to my cat. She stopped eating, lost lots of weight then got all wobbly on her feet. Took her to the vets to have some blood tests done and she a major infection running throughout her whole body - she was 16 so we decided the best thing for her was to have her put to sleep. It was hard but I hated seeing her so distressed.

My thoughts go out to you, I know it's tough :flowerforyou:
  • ladymiseryali
    Options
    Yeah, that's what happened to my cat. She stopped eating, lost lots of weight then got all wobbly on her feet. Took her to the vets to have some blood tests done and she a major infection running throughout her whole body - she was 16 so we decided the best thing for her was to have her put to sleep. It was hard but I hated seeing her so distressed.

My thoughts go out to you, I know it's tough :flowerforyou:

Well, we woke up and she was gone. I didn't want her to go that way. I'm hoping she went with no pain.
  • paulipet
    Options
    So horrible when our pets are ill. In my thoughts.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options
    So horrible when our pets are ill. In my thoughts.

She's no longer in pain now......I wish we could have got her into a vet and had them end her suffering.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Awe, that is definitely tough! Thoughts are with you!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your loss :cry:
  • eddysuchydvm
    eddysuchydvm Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Speechless. Sorry for your loss, but a visit to the vet weeks ago was in order.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options
    Speechless. Sorry for your loss, but a visit to the vet weeks ago was in order.

Had she not dropped so much weight, we would have, but we were afraid that the stress of being stuffed into a cat carrier, a drive to the vet and then having a stranger poke and prod her might kill her then. I was trying to stabilize her weight first. We should have risked it, but we didn't want her to stress herself into cardiac arrest.

I could sit here and go over what I should have done, but it won't bring her back.......