Life with a blind husky

Options
EvaiTryst
EvaiTryst Posts: 695 Member
This is my first topic here and I know all of our animals are quirky but I thought I'd share a little about my baby girl.

BEDCE181-9FFB-4F08-8D97-5C5CF28E9D00-3326-000004415F773D0B.jpg

This is Ikaru, Ika for short. She's a six years Siberian Husky and since she was a year old she's had glaucoma. I would never go back. She's stubborn but her presence is our house is a treat. She is mostly blind and one of her eyes has also developed a cataract. We have considered having her eyes removed but I am extremely torn on the subject.
Ika goes for the occasional walk/jog with me. She hates walking next to fences... they really freak her out. She's great with my 3 1/2 year old son... even when he is trying to pull her tail...
You can try and play fetch with her... she's good at finding the ball after she's run past it. Mostly she just sits at my feet wherever I am in the house. If I move... she moves. This morning when I went to let her out (we have a fenced in backyard) she missed the patio door and went head first into the plastic garbage bin. After shaking it off... outside she went.
Although she can't see much Ika still manages to terrify the cat and trap her under the computer desk. Our cat is evil.
I adore my husky. Her personality can be trying at times but she's made husky's my breed of choice.
Before March of this last year, my husband and I went through a really trying time. He was unemployed... at one point we were on food share and somehow we pulled through it.
Ika's medication isn't cheap. I got free samples from a local eye doctor for her... At one point I was trying to find rescues that would take her because we couldn't take care of her glaucoma with our financial issues. My parents bought us her dog food for awhile. But after everything... we're stable now and I still have my puppy. I have fought tooth and nails to keep her in my life.
My house would not be the same without hearing the occasional thunk or thud of Ika running into various things.

9D1B009B-8262-4757-99F4-E8141091ADC9-794-0000012BE780A420.jpg

Alright... I'm done. :)

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    she is adorable! thank you for sharing your story and for giving ika the best life possible. :)
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story!
    She's a gorgeous dog - I'm so glad you still have her, even with a detour down Struggle Street. When you pull through the hard times though - you know you've made the right decisions keeping her in your life :-)
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    That is true dedication..my hats off to you. I too would keep my pet even blind or deaf. Thanks for sharing .,