Maintaining distance

nermal6873
nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
So, I'm almost done training for my first half-marathon (11/18! Woohoo!). After the race I'd like to work on just maintaining mileage for a while. What's the best way to do his without running 13 miles every weekend? I was thinking about making sure I continue to have at least one long run per week around 10 miles? Thanks!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    How many days a week do you want to run?
    What was the highest number of miles per week that you ran prior to the race?
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    bumping. After my half in Nov, I want to continue this as well so I am ready for a half in May.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Adding a day would be the easiest way. Another thing that will yield big benefits is making most of your daily runs an hour or more. If you are already doing this then you could add a double day .
  • nermal6873
    Right now I'm usually running 4 days per week (although sometimes its only 3, and sometimes up to 5) and would like to keep it right around there. My longest long run is this week at 14 miles. Highest mileage per week will be around 25 (I've had quite a few weeks at around 20 miles).

One of these days I'll remember to add those details up front :blushing:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Try to consistently run 5 days a week. Make your long run between 90 and 120 minutes. Make one of your mid week runs around 75 minutes and try to get the other 3 up to 60 minutes. At 10:00 miles, that puts the weekly mileage between 30 and 35 miles a week. That would be a good level to maintain for a while to build your base. It doesn't all have to be easy running, but most of it should be. You can add 20 minutes of tempo once a week (LT pace, or the pace you can maintain for about an hour. For fast runners, that about HM pace, slow runners about 10K pace) and do some strides or pick-ups once a week.

That will be a good start.
  • nermal6873
    Thanks!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    i don't really have an answer to that- i always just sign up for another half a few months away and keep training.

i did want to thank you for the tip about tying my shoelaces differently- it worked a treat for my marathon, and i'll continue to wear them like that until the end of time!
  • nermal6873
    Glad to hear it worked well for you :)