Those three "little" words.

Options
In my first relationship EVER, at the age of 21..... and this past weekend he dropped the "I love you" bomb. I remained silent. Needless to say, that was an awkward minute or so of my life.

Ever been in this situation? Any tips on what a good response to that might be if you're not ready to say it, meaningfully, back yet?

Replies

• JMStockman1979
    Options
    Well, if you weren't feeling it, then I'd say you handled it well enough.

Being 12 years older than you, and having had quite a few relationships, I feel that if a guy says that too early (especially the first date, which HAS happened lol), I am bold enough to set the matter straight in a mature and inoffensive manner. Depending on the type of guy, I will either jokingly reply that he only loves me for my money (I am currently unemployed after having been laid off several months ago), or I seriously tell the guy that I will not repeat the phrase because it is too soon for me to know how I feel. If a guy gets mad over those responses, he has no business being near me.
  • megg2991
    megg2991 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree. I think you handled it well. I am pretty straightforward. So I usually just joke it off or tell them straight. I HATE hurting people's feelings too, so if I'm not ready I just tell them I'm not ready and I'm glad they feel that way. It's really awkward and no one enjoys that moment, but you shouldn't push yourself or "cave in" just because he said it. Sometimes I feel like those "three little words" don't mean as much as they used to.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I kinda think there will be no surprise when / if I hear those words. Frankly, when somebody loves me in that sense, when I am loved like I want to be loved; and love the way I want to love - the only appropriate reply will be something like "duh!" - because the kind of love I want; feelings will be no surprise. My lover's body, actions, everything will betray the feeling's existence. Warning - I am ENFP - so I adore talking about stuff like this :)