november already?!

Options
chanstriste13
chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
what the hell?!

happy november everyone! take a piece out of it this month. and no, not a piece of pumpkin pie... :tongue:

(i actually don't care for pumpkin pie - i go for pecan pie, which is like 1000 times worse! meh.)

Replies

• vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    what the hell?!

happy november everyone! take a piece out of it this month. and no, not a piece of pumpkin pie... :tongue:

(i actually don't care for pumpkin pie - i go for pecan pie, which is like 1000 times worse! meh.)

Just means more pumpkin pie for me! I too will eat pecan as well but prefer Pumpkin. :D

I know, how did it become November already!?! Next thing we know Christmas is going to be here. I don't remember time going this fast when I was a kid.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I don't like pie! Hooray at one sugary thing I don't devour!
  • vendygirl
    Options
    I don't like pie! Hooray at one sugary thing I don't devour!

No pie!?! Oh dear. I LOVE pie! No donuts I find disgusting. Most people think I am totally weird for that so we are even. ;)

But yeah for one less temptation.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    I was going to try and make sesame chicken for dinner tonight but suddenly (he never does this) my boyfriend requests a dinner! He says 'salmon is good for you, we should eat salmon tomorrow (today)'.

So now I'm trying to think of a way to prep my frozen salmon (I put it into little 3oz baggies so I could roast and serve myself just enough at once). Boyfriend is super picky and I'm pretty sure he won't eat it! But who knows, since he requested it, maybe he will try.

Once I even called his mother to ask how to make him eat veggies. She laughed and claimed it was impossible.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    its nice with a little pesto on it - before OR after cooking. Pesto's not that convenient though - I had some salmon today that had a vinaigrette that was also really nice (odd, as it wasn't a salad, but I liked it). Otherwise, teriyaki salmon is always good - you can do the glaze a bit light or heavy depending on your taste.
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    salmon - another one of those awesomely healthy things that i should eat but don't.
  • vendygirl
    Options
    salmon - another one of those awesomely healthy things that i should eat but don't.

I hear ya. I can't stand fish. doesn't matter if I have pulled it out of the ocean myself. I find it gross. I have tried it over and over and over. I will eat seafood, shrimp, scallops, lobster etc but no fish. I told my husband to make his steamed salmon with veggies and he had to finish it for me because I just couldn't get past the taste. ick.

Tuna sometimes will sneak into a piece fo sushi here or there but really not often. Every once and awhile I will make this canned tuna bombay salad that is basically a curried tuna salad but it has rice and served with melon so that helps "mask" the taste for me. Very rarely can I scarf that down though.

I keep trying bites of his fish when he orders it but each time it is just nasty tasting to me.
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    omigosh - november is halfway over - where is my life going?! well, i'm happy to report that i have some semblance of control back in my eating and workout habits. finally. though i'm going to blow it today because i'm going to the new twilight movie (popcorn) and i'm not working out today (sore, grad school, lesson plans, rehearsal, meh). but tomorrow i will be back to game-on mode. and we are leaving for copenhagen next wednesday - less than a week - can't believe it's almost here already! sheesh!
  • vendygirl
    Options
    Welcome back Chan! Glad things are staring fall into place. It is hard to balance it all especially when everything changes all at once! Have save travels.
  • vendygirl
    Options
    Okay non-Moms I have a dilemma. My best friend (who I have known since I was 2 years old) is DRIVING ME INSANE with her always bringing her 13 year old son with her EVERYWHERE WE GO! Seriously. For the last two years she keeps bringing him to almost everything. She brought him to my co-ed wedding shower at a bar!!! She brings him to dinner, she brings him when we go out for movies.

I don't know how to address her. She is a total hot mess at this point. I obviously don't want to tell her how to be a parent, as I am not one myself, but I also don't want to hang out with her son and her all the time. He is a good kid but I can't really talk about things as openly when he is around. I mean seriously doesn't he have friends he could be hanging out with? I mean hell when we were 13 we were sneaking out and hanging out with kids in the neighborhood (being little hoodlums I'll admit). I don't want E doing what we did but still shouldn't this kid be on his own? I think she once said he gets lonely or bored but I also recall being "bored" at that age as well and hell kids have more gadgets to occupy their time now a days then we did! Neither one of us had a game system when were his age, we barely had a computer. We went and hung out in the neighborhood.

Sigh. I really do need to talk to her because I avoid hanging out with her because I don't want to hang out with her son. Ironically when he was a baby she never had him around when we hung out. I worry she is not pushing her son to become independent. But then again what do I know, I'm not a parent. I just know my parents pushed me to independence early on. Sigh... Thanks for listening and any advice?
  • sarah44254
    Options
    vendygirl I'd just ask her straight up, 'hey is there any way you could come to -next gathering- without your kid?'

if she is concerned about leaving him home alone, suggest babysitters or family/friends to watch
    if she is concerned about him feeling lonely, that is understandable, but something he needs to deal with. he is going to be lonely in his life, and his mom is not always going to be there with him. maybe she can reduce the time she is out for gatherings so he is only lonely for a little while, like instead of having dinner and going to a bar (from say 7pm to 10) she can just do dinner for an hour and a half at most and then the kid won't be lonely as long.

it is a little odd, but not something totally abnormal. ask her what she is hoping to accomplish bringing him everywhere, and see if you can make some sort of compromise.
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    yeah, i would go with the straight-shooter approach too. just tell her your next gathering is girls only. then when she giggles about it like you're joking say, 'no, really. girls only.'

good luck - that would drive me crazy, too!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    yeah that is REALLY odd Vendy. Like, very odd. Since you guys are really close I think I'd sit down and actually talk about it with her - not even just from a "can we do something without your son along?" but actually talk about the fact that....its freaking weird to bring your kid to things you do with your friends. Weird. I don't think its a "you wouldn't understand, you're not a parent" thing - I think plenty of parents would agree that something is wrong. 13 is old enough to stay home alone, or go to a movie with friends, or ...anything. I mean maybe if she was a single mom and it was a weird in between age like 8 or 9 I could see that she might not always be able to get a babysitter (but sometimes she should be able to anyway!) but at 13 he's more than old enough to spend a few hours at home alone. Heck I was babysitting OTHER kids at 13.

Is it maybe more about her than him? like rather than helicopter parenting is it possible that she's treating him like a safety blanket for her?
  • vendygirl
    Options
    I don't know why she insists on bringing him everywhere. I also don't understand what she is doing parenting wise either. She bailed on coming over Saturday to watch a movie with me (while I was laid up from my back and my husband went out, as he deserved it) because she said she didn't want to get out but at the same time she said her son needed to write a paper. Now when I was 13 my parents NEVER stood over me to do my papers. In fact I don't recall them inquiring about homework after the age of 9. I just did it, or didn't do it, and I dealt with the consequences.

I really have no idea what is going on with her. I know she once said he 'gets lonely' but hell we all do and we need to learn to deal with it. I really do need to just address the issue head one day w/o her son around. He is a good kid but really..... She is a hot mess in a few areas and I am at a loss on how to help. I can only give her my 'opinion' when she asks and really it is the same opinion almost every time it seems. She was seeing the same shrink I saw once upon a time but I think she might have stopped (she isn't cheap).

Thanks folks. Hears hoping after turkey day I can find time to chat with her.
  • vendygirl
    Options
    Got an MRI schedule for bright and early Wednesday morning. Hopefully they won't find anything too horrible. Sitting is still a royal pain the butt (no pun intended). I stand and it takes awhile for it to untighten (if that is what is going on) and it is hard to pull up from the floor at time (when I need to lay down to just get a break from sitting. After the MRI I hope we can then execute a plan on what I can and can't do exercise wise because not being able to work out is DRIVING ME MAD!

I hate that I have a back of 65 year old. Luckily my boss has a bad back and so does my Dad so he gives me pointers on things that have helped him (he broke his back when he was 21 in a motorcycle accident and lost 2 inches in height so he has lived with a bad back all his life).

All in all everything is good. I managed to only gain 1 lb over turkey day, which I am counting as bloat and not logging because there is no need. :D