What makes a guy boring?

Carl01
Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
There were a few references to it in this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/785864-too-good-looking and am curious what is considered "boring" or dull?
Obviously no desire to do anything but come home from work and plop down in front of the TV but that would seem to be the extreme so beyond that.
Also is the quest for someone fun and exciting too strong,leading to ladies (or guys) making bad decisions about relationships?

Replies

• modgirlrachel
    modgirlrachel Posts: 44 Member
    I think if you have nothing in common that would make the other person seem boring to yourself, even though they mightn't be boring to others who share the same interests.
    For example, I would consider someone obsessed with sports to be extremely boring because I hate sports, where a girl who likes sports just as much might think they're really interesting.
    tldr; lack of common interests = boring.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Boring is in the eye of the beholder, as Rachel says.

I'm sure there have been times where some have even found me boring, as shocking as that may sound. :laugh:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member

I'm sure there have been times where some have even found me boring, as shocking as that may sound. :laugh:

I can`t imagine any lady finding me boring...what lady doesn`t live for baling hay or cutting firewood. :smokin:

:ohwell:
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    I think if you have nothing in common that would make the other person seem boring to yourself, even though they mightn't be boring to others who share the same interests.
    For example, I would consider someone obsessed with sports to be extremely boring because I hate sports, where a girl who likes sports just as much might think they're really interesting.

Totally agree. I guess there are certain things that make my eyes glaze over that other people might find interesting. And things that I find interesting that would make another person's eyes glaze over :)
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    ^^^^^ I agree with all of you. If you have no common interest your will find the person boring. If I dated a couch potato who never wanted to go out or hit the gym and stay home all the time I would be bored out of my mind
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    I agree and raise you a sense of humor. If a guy makes me laugh, then I am having fun... Thus not bored! Lol
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Boooo .. I typed up this whole thing and it poofed.

Anyway .. the Marine that I was referring to .. what made him boring was .. he just didn't talk an awful lot. He would answer my questions in as few words as possible. Which totally fed into my whole what if we have nothing to talk about btw. When he did talk he talked about his job. .. which was cool for the first hour. Just .. meh. The only time I laughed was when I said something funny ..lol
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Agree with everything above, and will add that a complete lack of challenge is boring. I definitely need to know that someone is interested before I put in any effort, but I like thinking that I need to step things up and flirt etc.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    lack of curiosity, no motivation to learn or try new things. in general for me it's when someone feels no desire to do or learn things for their own edification.

i can deal with silent types and introverts because i tend to talk and be outgoing enough for 2 people :laugh: i can even deal with not having common interests, but i simply can't stand by a lack of intellectual/spiritual/personal curiosity.

also i dont think the quest for someone fun and exciting leads to any worse decisions about relationships than any other type quest.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member

This is a good definition.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Boooo .. I typed up this whole thing and it poofed.

Anyway .. the Marine that I was referring to .. what made him boring was .. he just didn't talk an awful lot. He would answer my questions in as few words as possible. Which totally fed into my whole what if we have nothing to talk about btw. When he did talk he talked about his job. .. which was cool for the first hour. Just .. meh. The only time I laughed was when I said something funny ..lol

I'd dislike that too. I love to chat about anything random! I need someone that will talk back and add commentary and have opinions. I love to talk about the news and someone needs to answer me.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member

:laugh: :laugh: You're kiddin DM, all the girls are swooning over you at the mo! :bigsmile:
  • AnnaPixie

I can`t imagine any lady finding me boring...what lady doesn`t live for baling hay or cutting firewood. :smokin:

That's not boring, that's sexy !! :wink:
  • AnnaPixie

I don't think a guy having an interest in anything is boring! The pastime might be boring for you, but that doesn't make 'him' boring, I dont think. If you dont share the interest then find something of your own to do during that time? Then you wont be bored!
  • AnnaPixie
    Boring people (men and women) in my eyes are:

monotone
    no imagination
    no interests
    no adventure
    no excitement
    no initiative
    no fun
    no wit
    nothing to say
    do the same damn thing day in and day out!
    Jump on top of you at 9pm, finish by 9.15pm
    Go to work
    come home from work
    watch tv
    go to bed
    blah!!

That's freakin boring! :yawn:
  • modgirlrachel
    modgirlrachel Posts: 44 Member
    I don't think a guy having an interest in anything is boring! The pastime might be boring for you, but that doesn't make 'him' boring, I don't think. If you don't share the interest then find something of your own to do during that time? Then you wont be bored!

I think you've misunderstood me, let me explain further;
    It would make him boring TO ME.
    If we had absolutely nothing else in common - and I 'found something else to do during that time' I would never be spending any time with him, would I?

I'm not saying I would only date someone who is a carbon copy of myself with a penis, I'm saying there needs to be some level of similar interests. Having some different interests to your partner is normal and fine, and even fun because you can share your different interests with each other and bond over trying new things. But I feel, for me, having no similar interests makes a person boring and difficult to relate to.
  • AnnaPixie
    I don't think a guy having an interest in anything is boring! The pastime might be boring for you, but that doesn't make 'him' boring, I don't think. If you don't share the interest then find something of your own to do during that time? Then you wont be bored!

I think you've misunderstood me, let me explain further;
    It would make him boring TO ME.
    If we had absolutely nothing else in common - and I 'found something else to do during that time' I would never be spending any time with him, would I?

I'm not saying I would only date someone who is a carbon copy of myself with a penis, I'm saying there needs to be some level of similar interests. Having some different interests to your partner is normal and fine, and even fun because you can share your different interests with each other and bond over trying new things. But I feel, for me, having no similar interests makes a person boring and difficult to relate to.

Fair enough. I guess I look at people with different interests to me as exciting and challenging, rather than boring, although I could be bored in their company if I had no interest. For example, if you play tennis and I dont, I dont think you're 'boring' for doing so, but if I had to watch you play it for 8 hours I may become bored.....lol

Different interpretation to what a boring person is to me, obviously :flowerforyou:
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Boring people (men and women) in my eyes are:

monotone
    no imagination
    no interests
    no adventure
    no excitement
    no initiative
    no fun
    no wit
    nothing to say
    do the same damn thing day in and day out!
    Jump on top of you at 9pm, finish by 9.15pm
    Go to work
    come home from work
    watch tv
    go to bed
    blah!!

That's freakin boring! :yawn:
    Sounds like I might be a bit boring by some of those things on the list! :tongue: At least during the work week, when I'm single... I get up, go to work, come home from work, watch TV and go to bed. Good thing I've found someone to break up the drudgery of my boring life. LOL!

I agree with what others have said - someone who doesn't have any common interests, who doesn't engage in conversation, who shows no humor, doesn't try new things, generally apathetic (no real opinion of a lot of things) - also think someone who doesn't listen can be very boring. An ex-BF of mine used to talk a lot! I thought it was great at first because a lot of men aren't particularly chatty, but he would dominate all our conversations with the boring minutia of his day and not seem to want to let me have a turn. It got a little boring listening to him drone on and on.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    If he's not funny.

HUGE deal breaker. Well, for me anyway.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    I like what Anna is saying. Basically it's lack of expression. I'm not expecting people to get as excited as I do (I am very excitable over what is perceived as very minute stimuli... Take that how you want), but you have to want/love something in your life that drives you to wake up in the morning. I'm pretty chill so if you wanna talk football, okay that's cool, teach me about it. If you are practicing for your standup act, throw some jokes my way. Just got into jiu jitsu, what's that hold you mentioned?

Just... Like things. Talk to me about your life, and not just the lives of people on tv.

But I guess I'm pretty easy to please.

That is to say: just because someone isn't boring doesn't mean we're a match. Just that I wouldn't not be around him/her by saying that (s)he is boring.