What are quick add calories?

When you post quick add or random calories, what are they made of?

Just curious...

Replies

• SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    When you post quick add or random calories, what are they made of?

Just curious...
    I quick add when I just don't have a clue about calorie count. For example, today I went to a tailgate party - grazing on different foods but not any one item. So, rather than trying to put an individual calorie count on each item, I guestimate the count and add it. Definitely a swag, but easiest way to log.
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    I was interested in that as well.. thanks for the info :flowerforyou:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I usually use them when I am trying to boost up the cals from the data base - like for example if I ate at a non-chain restaurant and the similar item to what I ate in the data base seems a little low I might toss in 50-100 or so quick adds. Or when my Mom makes dinner and I have no idea what she added I'll throw in some quick adds to cover anything I might be missing.

Or for Costco samples :happy: because who the heck knows the exact cals for those.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    If i can't find the food in the database I'll just add the calories that the container says. For instance, i can't find the brand of popcorn i eat so i just add the calories that it says on the bag.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    They're also for when you don't want people to know you indulged in that half a snickers bar :tongue:
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    They're also for when you don't want people to know you indulged in that half a snickers bar :tongue:

That's what I thought. ;c)

So that means that having people looking at our diaries causes some of us to cheat ourselves due to peer pressure? Not only that, peer pressure of people we don't know, who don't know our names, and who are unlikely to ever set eyes on us?
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    I use them for when I'm feeling totally lazy and I'm in a rush. Let's say I write everything down in the kitchen and do my math. I'm in a rush and don't want to look through the database but I know how much I ate for breakfast. I'll do quick calories and I'll enter the amount and then I can get out quickly. It's better to have a number in the system than nothing. Basically, it's missing the sodium and all the other stuff..but sometimes you need some down time. :)
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    I actually did this yesterday for the first time since joining MFP. I also did it for samples at Sams Club and always try to go on the high side when trying to figure out calories;)
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member

I would be so proud to let my mfp pals know that I only ate half a snickers bar! :laugh:

I have only used the quick calories when I couldn't find something in the data base or as a bump to something in the database because it seemed too low.
  • I use them when eating out and I have no idea of the variety of foods and calories and nutrients. I really wish there was a place to add a comment in each time we 'quick add calories' so we could keep track of what exactly it was and be accountable for it.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    I use them when eating out and I have no idea of the variety of foods and calories and nutrients. I really wish there was a place to add a comment in each time we 'quick add calories' so we could keep track of what exactly it was and be accountable for it.

You can add it to the note at the end of your day's calories. I have tried very hard not to use the quick add, but I guesstimate a lot of things. Most of the places I eat out are not in the database.
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member

So that means that having people looking at our diaries causes some of us to cheat ourselves due to peer pressure? Not only that, peer pressure of people we don't know, who don't know our names, and who are unlikely to ever set eyes on us?
    So far I have logged everything. It just shows that we are all human and can indulge once in a while. I have been known to say, "Crap, now I have to log this!":)
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member

So far I have logged everything. It just shows that we are all human and can indulge once in a while. I have been known to say, "Crap, now I have to log this!":)

I don't consider them to be cheating themselves, because they are still counting the calories. They are just avoiding potential conflict with the nasty, judgmental people on MFP . Some people can't handle that kind of criticism, or just don't want to get into a flame war.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    I use them when eating out and I have no idea of the variety of foods and calories and nutrients. I really wish there was a place to add a comment in each time we 'quick add calories' so we could keep track of what exactly it was and be accountable for it.

I just put a comment down below in that notes section. I've put "Chipotle Grill Carnitas...etc...for dinner" and all sorts of comments. I do know what you mean though about attached notes directly with each one but I suspect that's a nightmare for a database. I just use the notes section.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I found another use for them today. Went out to lunch w/the kid. Added 50 quick adds to account for the nibbles I took off his plate. (A couple bites of pancake and skillet potatoes.)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I add a few hundred when I'm guestimating while dining out.
    And last night I went to a conference potluck and didn't have a clue so I quick added 1k calories for dinner.
  • I use them when eating out and I have no idea of the variety of foods and calories and nutrients. I really wish there was a place to add a comment in each time we 'quick add calories' so we could keep track of what exactly it was and be accountable for it.

I just put a comment down below in that notes section. I've put "Chipotle Grill Carnitas...etc...for dinner" and all sorts of comments. I do know what you mean though about attached notes directly with each one but I suspect that's a nightmare for a database. I just use the notes section.
    Exactly, it would be nice to add them each time, not just once a day... Guess I can be more thorough in my comments anyway. Thanks!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    I use them when I don't know the calorie content or don't have the energy to plug in the individual foods and figure out approximately how large was the portion size. A rough calorie count is better than nothing.