Hello, Runners! Mind if I join you?

Options
Hello!
I started running 3 years ago.....have done several 5k's (PR 28:44 - though nowhere near that now!), a 10k (1:06) and 2 sprint TRI's. I really, REALLY want to do a HM but keep getting injured. I've followed several different 'smart' plans but I get to about mile 8 and something always happens. So, I took a little time off.....and gained about 10 lbs back of the 30 I lost with WW. (I've got about 10-15 lbs to lose now.)
I think my biggest problem is that I love running so much that I wasn't doing anything else. That's why I did the 2 TRI's BFORE I started training for a HM. It forced me to cross-train. But, alas, the cross-training dwindled and I was only running again when I developed a small stress fracture from overuse. In May, I started going to Jazzercise classes because I needed an 'appointment' to motivate me to start exercising again. I've loved it (30 min cardio - 30 min weight/resistance). It has really shown me where I am weakest and it's not surprising to me now that I kept getting injured! I started running again about once a week....usually a SLOW 3 miles. It feels good.
Starting this week, my plan is Jazzercise on Mon, Tues, Thurs and run on Wed, Fri, Sat. I'm excited about it! I'll be doing a 5k race in Dec and hope to be faster than the slow 35 min training runs I'm doing now.....but I won't push it.
I read through a few of your posts and saw that there were others who had been though injuries and are now running long distances. I'm so inspired!
So, there's my saga. I'm really hoping to connect with some other runners so, if you'd like, friend me :)

Replies

• pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been running about 3 year myself. However when I started to get injured I deicded to look into Chi Running and run/walk methods. As a result I ran my first marathon last week.

Like yourself my weight has bounced from one end to another (and still does). I gained 6 lbs the week after the marathon, not sure what that's about. I mean give me a break I ran 26.2 friggin miles.

Chi Running helped me with a lot of injuries other runners fight through like shin splints etc. The run/Walk is a good way to do long runs to build your endurance with getting injured. As you get stronger you can drop/reduce the intervals of walking.

I'm a 40 year bloke from Ireland might not be the friend you wanted but I'll gladly friend you if you want and I can pass on links to what I found.

Paul
  • dq_diva
    Options
    Thanks for the response, Paul, and CONGRATS on the marathon!!

I have the Chi running book but found it a little confusing. Did you take one of the classes? It seems like the 'method' is so subtle. I was never sure if I was doing it or not! What kind of cross-training do you do?
  • pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi,

The only cross training I do is cycling and walking. I do some running strength exercises but that's it.

I have 3 kids under 5 so I basically get whatever exercise I can i the little spare time I have.

My work is 7 miles from my home so I usually run or cycle in and home. I know what you mean about the Chi. I got a DVD from a friend that made it a little easier but it definitely isn't "Effortless". I have been offered a class but it's very expensive.

Speaking of slow 3 miles I did my first recovery run after the marathon yesterday. 10K at 11 min mile pace. Felt really strange I find running at a slower pace is sometimes more tiring.

P.