sad day

Options
christine24t
christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
just creeping on facebook. My middle school crush just got married.

:(

I'm getting older, it's going to get worse. Everyone will be married soon!

Replies

• Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Life is not out of your control Christine unless you surrender it to be.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Eh, marriage sucks. I wouldn't be too upset about it. Juuuust kidding.

If it makes you feel any better.. I'll be 21 in a week and I already have a handful of married/knocked up friends.

Not everyone will get married... But you're pretty, smart, and nice, so one day you will inevitably meet someone, get married, and some guy who had a crush on you in middle school will be really upset.
  • christine24t
    Options
    Eh, marriage sucks. I wouldn't be too upset about it. Juuuust kidding.

If it makes you feel any better.. I'll be 21 in a week and I already have a handful of married/knocked up friends.

Not everyone will get married... But you're pretty, smart, and nice, so one day you will inevitably meet someone, get married, and some guy who had a crush on you in middle school will be really upset.

Haha thanks! That is a good thought!

It just seems like I'm getting to the age where everyone is starting to have babies and get married! I don't want to be married at this age, it just seems so young, but it sucks feeling like you're the only single gal!
  • shammxo
    Options
    I know how you feel. And it happens earlier and earlier! Seriously, since when is it okay for a bunch of 19/20 year olds to get married?!
  • christine24t
    Options
    I know how you feel. And it happens earlier and earlier! Seriously, since when is it okay for a bunch of 19/20 year olds to get married?!

I agree. I have a couple old friends who had two babies by age 20! They each have a four year old! Isn't that nuts? I don't get the rush.
  • shammxo
    Options

I agree. I have a couple old friends who had two babies by age 20! They each have a four year old! Isn't that nuts? I don't get the rush.

EEK! I have that, too. One of my friends just turned 21 and she's been married for 2 years. WHAT?! At my age, I can't imagine having been married that long.

Sometimes, not all of the time, I think people just want to be engaged/married/whatever for some sense of security or maturity. Or some kind of novelty.

I know that sounds really cynical. But at the young ages people are getting married, what the hell do they know? And how established could they possibly be?

Again, I'm not trying to generalize it or say that EVERYONE who gets married young does it for these reasons or is naive. Just a theory on some.
  • Daisy_Cutter_
    Daisy_Cutter_ Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It's an even sadder day when people you went to Jr high and high school start dying....

True story. You could be old and single like me... then you'd really be sad! LOL :flowerforyou:

(Ok... I'm in a good spot... I ADORE being 40 and single.. I have had some FUN experiences!)
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Heck try living that way at 35..lol at 24 it wasn't that big deal..I mean sure I was jealous sometimes about the relationship aspect....but I was in school still figuring out a career ect. Late 20's til now..it sucks!
    I asked my doctor today at what age should I look into invitro if I want to go it alone...incase Mr right never finds me.
    She said probably 2 more years before fertility gets dicey..joy o bliss :(
  • christine24t
    Options
    Heck try living that way at 35..lol at 24 it wasn't that big deal..I mean sure I was jealous sometimes about the relationship aspect....but I was in school still figuring out a career ect. Late 20's til now..it sucks!
    I asked my doctor today at what age should I look into invitro if I want to go it alone...incase Mr right never finds me.
    She said probably 2 more years before fertility gets dicey..joy o bliss :(

I am planning on either adopting or in vitro too if I never get married. I want kids...not right now clearly lol but later in my life definitely!
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    My middle school crush is now gay!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options

Yeah, I know that feeling, though that sort of stuff didn't start happening in my social circle until I was about 26/27.

My core friends are all unmarried.

The periphery of the social circle and my cousins are the people who have gotten married.

I can only think of one core friend that could get married by end of 2013.

This is also why you must seize the moment, and give it your best shot with those who you are attracted. You never want to be in a position where you find out someone who you wanted but never went for got married. You'd rather have the clarity of knowing that you went for what you wanted.
  • oualum26
    oualum26 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Been there felt this! All my exes are now married with kids. All my friends are married, engaged, or in serious relationships and I'm the definition of "always a bridesmaid" (about to be in my 11th wedding next year).

I see my high school sweetheart all the time with his wife and kids, still kinda stings. Oh well, everything happens for a reason right? At least that's what I keep telling myself.
  • christine24t
    Options
    You'd rather have the clarity of knowing that you went for what you wanted.

Maybe now, but back in the day. Short, extremely fat, glasses, adolescent acne...I was really a catch. He was tall, blonde, beautiful...

We had a couple classes together in eighth grade. We talked once or twice about school. But when I saw that tonight...I almost cried! For some reason it was just sad. No one else getting married has affected me like that, even my old roommate getting married.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

Newsflash: he was gay in middle school, too... ;-)

--P
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options

Newsflash: he was gay in middle school, too... ;-)

--P

haha Let me rephrase that: He is now OPENLY gay. ;) haha
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Christine, honey eventually you get used to everybody getting married and popping out kiddos. You have soooo much time and fun to have. Focus on what you have and not on what you don't.

Plus if you were to have married him, you wouldn't be in Single Peeps anymore!!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options

EEK! I have that, too. One of my friends just turned 21 and she's been married for 2 years. WHAT?! At my age, I can't imagine having been married that long.

Sometimes, not all of the time, I think people just want to be engaged/married/whatever for some sense of security or maturity. Or some kind of novelty.

I know that sounds really cynical. But at the young ages people are getting married, what the hell do they know? And how established could they possibly be?

Again, I'm not trying to generalize it or say that EVERYONE who gets married young does it for these reasons or is naive. Just a theory on some.

This exactly.. uuuugh I hate when I get students going through tech school who are 18-21 and talk about marrying their girl back home (who is normally their first ever girlfriend). I try to talk them out of it but people are gonna wanna do what they want.

I think you're exactly right. They do it for the BAH (housing allowance for military) and for the sense of maturity that they feel. I made the same mistake when I was 18 and dating someone in the military. I wanted to be a military spouse.

What's even worse is when they get married and want to have babies right away. :sad:

Don't get me wrong.. some couples make it. But most don't.

And yeah, pretty much 80% of the people I went to high school with are married and most of those have kids. I'm not jealous. I don't want kids for awhile! I get to sleep in on the weekends and they don't. :laugh:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

I hate to be cynical, but most of my friends that were married by 25 were divorced by 35!

You can catch him the second time around!! :laugh:

:wink:
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Let’s go through the quotables.....

I’m not surprised. Theatrical drama performers have a tendency to be gay.

In high school, there was a guy who had an effeminate voice and played with Barbie dolls. I saw his Facebook page about a year ago. He’s now openly gay.
    Been there felt this! All my exes are now married with kids. All my friends are married, engaged, or in serious relationships and I'm the definition of "always a bridesmaid" (about to be in my 11th wedding next year).

Geez, 11 weddings! I have not been in one wedding party. I don’t know how you’ve done that. In fact, I might be a little moody if it were my 11th time in a wedding party and I had never been married and wanted to be marry (as I figure you do).

All the weddings that I have been invited to since my college graduation would have involved long distance travel for me. It is pretty easy to skip out on weddings that way.
    I hate to be cynical, but most of my friends that were married by 25 were divorced by 35!

You can catch him the second time around!! :laugh:

:wink:

I’m going to take a different spin on this quote. When you’re unmarried, and much of your social circle is married, does it ever make any of you feel unwanted, undesirable? Do you ever taken the cynical, but often rational and reasonable approach of saying to yourself that a number of these marrieds will be divorcees at some point? Even if you take this approach, I can imagine it can be difficult in the present. Marriages tend to usually take a significant amount to shake out (5+ years). It isn’t common to see a lot of divorcees under 35 in my experience, though I haven’t seen the stats on that but I bet they’d reflect that first divorces are more commonplace after a 5+ year marriage and after age 35.
    And yeah, pretty much 80% of the people I went to high school with are married and most of those have kids. I'm not jealous. I don't want kids for awhile! I get to sleep in on the weekends and they don't. :laugh:

Sleeping until 10 AM or later on Saturday or Sunday morning is a huge advantage of a child free lifestyle.
  • oualum26
    oualum26 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Geez, 11 weddings! I have not been in one wedding party. I don’t know how you’ve done that. In fact, I might be a little moody if it were my 11th time in a wedding party and I had never been married and wanted to be marry (as I figure you do).

All the weddings that I have been invited to since my college graduation would have involved long distance travel for me. It is pretty easy to skip out on weddings that way.

Actually, I haven't been moody about the number of weddings I've been in. Sometimes I'm a little jealous, but not very much. I love weddings, and all the girls that have asked me have been very dear friends. I'm happy to be a part of their day!

The problem that makes me sad and moody is that I can never find a date to any of these weddings. I took one of my friends one time, just as a friend, and he ended up hooking up with another bridesmaid. That's the part I get depressed about, all my friends are finding people to marry and I can't even find a guy who would like to spend one night with me!