Madcow

Qarol
Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
Can anybody clarify how this is supposed to work? I downloaded the spreadsheet, but it doesn't make sense. (I thought there was a prior thread for this, but I couldn't find it. So I'm starting a new one.)

http://stronglifts.com/madcow-5x5-training-programs/

I get "Monday." It's 5x5 but increasing weight each set. "Wednesday" is confusing. Squats are "2x5" so according to this s/s, it's 4 sets of 5 with the first two looking more like staggered warm up sets with 2 final sets of 5 at the same weight, just a lower weight than Monday.

However, Press and DL are this day and should be the "1x5" ramped up. But there's only 4 rows in excel for each of these on the s/s. If they're to be like Monday's bench and rows, shouldn't there be 5 sets? Or maybe Press should have a 5th set but not Deadlifts, since in Stronglifts, there's less sets of these?

Then "Friday" is pretty clear. 4 ramping up sets followed by a 5th set of 3 then a lowered 6th set of 8.

I'm just confused by the spreadsheet not listing a 5th set for Press and DL on Wednesday. Could that be an error? Or is the spreadsheet correct? How should these work on "Wednesday"?

And then, the following week, it'll alternate. So Press and DL will be on Monday and Friday, right? How does that work? I's so confused!

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Did you already read through this?
    http://stronglifts.com/madcow/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

The way I'm reading it is:

Basically monday is a pyramided 5x5 (lower weight for hte first set of 5, close to your 5 rep max for the last set of 5.
    Wed is 4x5 and for squats, rather than ramping up after the 3rd set you repeat the weight from the 3rd set for hte 4th set.

(So it would look like 60x5, 70x5, 80x5, 80x5)

And then Friday is another ramping 4x5, followed by a very heavy 1x3 (your heaviest set for hte week) and then a 1x8 that is the same weight as your 3rd set so moderate weight.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Thanks, tameko. Sorry for cluttering up the group. I suppose Wed is supposed to be a light day all around, not just light day on squats. I guess I was overthinking it.

Do you know if you're supposed to alternate weeks, like with SL? The s/s doesn't seem to account for that. So week 1 is MWF: Bench/Rows, then Press/DL, then Bench/Rows. While week 2 is Press/DL, then Bench/Rows, then Press/DL?
  • tameko2
    Yes, alternate, otherwise it's going to be 4 of one workout and 2 of the other instead of 3 an 3
  • riouxt
    riouxt Posts: 104 Member
    Thanks for posting this topic. I am just on week 3 of 5x5, but been wondering about Madcow. Did you guys just start it after maxing out on Stronglifts? Just not sure how to go about it. Feel like I'm going to max out pretty quick on overhead presses (at 60 lbs next time) so will do my 3x and see if I can push through. :)
  • tameko2
    Thanks for posting this topic. I am just on week 3 of 5x5, but been wondering about Madcow. Did you guys just start it after maxing out on Stronglifts? Just not sure how to go about it. Feel like I'm going to max out pretty quick on overhead presses (at 60 lbs next time) so will do my 3x and see if I can push through. :)

I switched to a different intermediate program, after about 6 months.

Have you got fractionals? You really will need either fractionals for your upper body lifts (bench and overhead press - and personally I like them for EVERYTHING) or you will need to give yourself a little more loose of a schedule on those.

I'd suggest adding a rep rather than adding weight for every other workout day, for the overhead press and bench (unless you can get fractionals, in which case go that route).
  • riouxt
    riouxt Posts: 104 Member
    I switched to a different intermediate program, after about 6 months.

Have you got fractionals? You really will need either fractionals for your upper body lifts (bench and overhead press - and personally I like them for EVERYTHING) or you will need to give yourself a little more loose of a schedule on those.

I'd suggest adding a rep rather than adding weight for every other workout day, for the overhead press and bench (unless you can get fractionals, in which case go that route).
    [/quote]

Nope. No fractionals. What the heck are they? :embarassed: all the gym has are 2.5 lb weights. :noway:
    I like your idea of adding a rep. Will try that once those overhead presses get the best of me. Thanks!!
  • tameko2
    Fractional plates - you can buy them and take them with you. A basic set is 2 1.25lb plates (so you can go up by 2.5 instead of 5lbs) - a more expensive set would bel ike this:
    http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/equipment/fractional-plates.html

If you can swing it, those are AWESOME. You can increase VERY slowly as needed. But they are pricey - so you can get just the 1.25 and if you need to, do the extra rep thing as well.

I just carry mine into and out of the gym with me in my bag. They dont' care.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    I used madcow for the upper body stuff...op, bench p and barbell row...for odd weights I use my 1 kg and 1.5 kg ankle weights (attach them to the barbell)...so I get increments from 2kg (total) through to 5kg...