Modified Food Starch???

Options
Cheeta_HH
Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
Hi,
This is only Week 6 Gluten Free for me. I thought that I read that modified food starch is an ingredient to avoid. I'm confused, though, because I ate some Progresso soup yesterday that was specifically labeled GF but one of the ingredients is modified food starch.

I have an iphone app that lists ingredients (green if it is GF, red if it is not), but this one is not listed!

Thanks!

Replies

• jnoring
    Options
    You can have food starch it just has to be corn or potato.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    In the US, it is usually corn.
  • Cheeta_HH
    Options
    That gives me some peace of mind! This is definitely a learning process for me. I don't really feel like I'm all that limited, but I find myself overthinking my meals. I'm sure with time it will become second nature.

Thank you!
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    From what I've read modified food starch in the u.s. is usually corn or potato . From anywhere else it may contain wheat. That said I am still cautious of foods with mfs in the ingredients. I've tested a few products with mfs and had no issues. But I still try ROI avoid it as much as possible.
  • ktouton
    ktouton Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    In the US it is required to have (wheat) or some such wording written if it is from wheat. However, no such requirement exists if it is made from barley or rye (rarely done for either). Wheat is one of the top 8 allergens and has special rules for it.
  • Truaxmelanie
    Truaxmelanie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    This is only Week 6 Gluten Free for me. I thought that I read that modified food starch is an ingredient to avoid. I'm confused, though, because I ate some Progresso soup yesterday that was specifically labeled GF but one of the ingredients is modified food starch.

I have an iphone app that lists ingredients (green if it is GF, red if it is not), but this one is not listed!

Thanks!

I would like to know if possible the name for the (iphone app that lists ingredients (green if it is GF, red if it is not)
    Thanks
  • Cheeta_HH
    Options

I would like to know if possible the name for the (iphone app that lists ingredients (green if it is GF, red if it is not)
    Thanks

Hello!
    It is called "GlutenCheck". It is so great to have while shopping!
  • Truaxmelanie
    Truaxmelanie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much