Did you hear?! Marriage Equality victories at the polls!

Options
2»

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Actually no.
    As drafted, the bill would enable religious organizations to choose to conduct same-sex marriages if they wish and includes provisions intended to make sure no religious organization or person is forced to do so.

The Church of England is among the religious bodies opposed to the legislation.

I don't know whether it would be a local option within the Church of England or whether the Church would be able to make a general rule for all parishes and priests.

I also don't remember whether the Church of Scotland is still established in Scotland. Or whether Wales or Northern Ireland have established churches.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Actually no.
    As drafted, the bill would enable religious organizations to choose to conduct same-sex marriages if they wish and includes provisions intended to make sure no religious organization or person is forced to do so.

The Church of England is among the religious bodies opposed to the legislation.

I don't know whether it would be a local option within the Church of England or whether the Church would be able to make a general rule for all parishes and priests.

I also don't remember whether the Church of Scotland is still established in Scotland. Or whether Wales or Northern Ireland have established churches.

Well that's not fun, is it? I suppose it's equitable and all, but still.
  • treetop57
    Options
    Officials have stressed that all religious organizations can decide for themselves if they want to "opt in" to holding gay weddings. However, the Church of England, the country's official faith, is barred from performing such ceremonies.

That provision aims to ensure that the Church, which opposes gay marriage, is protected from legal claims that as the official state religion it must marry anyone who requests it.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/uk-lawmakers-vote-gay-marriage-bill-18409059

For what it's worth, the Church of England is the established church only in England, not in Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland, none of which have established churches.
  • treetop57
    Options
    I just noticed this at the end of that ABC article:
    The bill's provisions apply only to England and Wales — there are no plans for similar legislation in Northern Ireland. Scotland is considering introducing a similar bill.