Ideas to stay fit during the holidays!

Options
eve7166
eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
Any ideas on how to make it through the holidays? Thanksgiving is coming up and lets face it there will be good food. Any ideas on how to stay within calories? More excersise on that day or before? Healthy alternatives?

I plan to just stick to turkey and a salad but that might be tough! lol

Replies

• ravenrxx
    ravenrxx Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Its Thanksgiving, I'd like to enjoy myself hah but umm I would just make sure to get more exercise in a few days STRAIGHT before thanksgiving. Or maybe just make sure you don't go over your calorie goal and exercise more the day before. Just depends on how crazy you think you'll go. Have fun though & don't go to crazy! Self control!
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Pile on the veggies, make sure that while I'm cooking I have healthy snacks available, and go for a walk on the big meal days after eating and before dessert. Try to not overeat or mindlessly eat (of course that is a daily fight for me). pick the holiday special foods, instead of the readily available foods
  • lorephayce
    Options
    My main tactics have been making sure my plate is at least 3/4 loaded down with veggies and meat before I get anything else, try to keep small reasonable portion sizes (things that fill me up the day before thanksgiving will fill me up just as well on it, no need to have monster portions) and make sure that I am taking advantage of the couple days off work to run and stay in shape... Plus, I will try and stay in goal between now and then so I have some wiggle room.
  • tinawhitlock
    Options
    I think it all comes down to choices. Like last week my husband and I went out on a special date. I really wanted a slice of pecan pie, but it is all sugar. So I ate half of it, but didn't touch the crust. Also when I am filling a plate in a "family style" setting, if you leave space in between each item, i think the plate looks fuller. And lastly, if you eat slower, you will become more full than if you shovel the food in like you have never seen thanksgiving dinner before. I am no expert by any means, these are just some things that have been helping me over the past 4 months.
  • pennylaner
    Options
    Try to be extra healthy the days before. No excessive taste testing, nibbling, or appetizers the day of! I'm going to let myself try everything, but just little portions - and only what I can fit on one plate. I'll try not to have seconds, but I'll have a small piece of pie and glass of wine. :) It's a holiday after all! My family usually takes long walks after our meal, which helps.
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    And lastly, if you eat slower, you will become more full than if you shovel the food in like you have never seen thanksgiving dinner before.

hahaha i love this! Why is it I always want to get everything in your mouth at one time on Thanksgiving? LOL
  • kacibrown
    Options
    If anyone is slightly competitive in nature, it's fun to be a part of the "Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge" which is put on by the blog Run to the Finish. I signed up for it last year and while I didn't win anything, it helped keep me focused on trying to fit in exercise and eating right during this crazy time of year!

Here's a link to the registration if anyone is interested: http://www.holidaybootiebusterchallenge.com/
  • jnn0409
    jnn0409 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving it'll be just me and my hubby so were going to have a small dinner and I plan on still counting calories that day, Christmas were supposed to be home on leave so I think I might take the idea i've been seeing by filling half the plate with veggies and the other half is whatever I want...?