"Breaking Amish" Fans?

Options
Moe4572
Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
I have been watching this show, but I just don't really get it? I get that 5 people that were Amishor Mennonite went to NYC to "see the world, but if they leave they get shunned? But, after you are shunned you can get "back in"? One of the guys was married before and was shunned, but then was Amish again, but the girl Rebecca had been married previously, and did not get shunned, but went to NYC and her whole family moved without telling her........and in the empty house, there was an electric stove, but the Amish do not have electricity......so confused................

Anyone understand this better?

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Anyone understand this better?

Does anyone want to?
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I am glad I was not the only one perplexed. Left me wondering for sure.
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I watched it once .. that was enough..lol. I like reading amish romance novels .. lol .. so i thought for sure I would like this show, but not so much.

From what I understand if the amish community votes that an electric stove is what is good for the community then they can all get one. if they vote its not .. they can't.

They have a period of 1 year to go anywhere they want to decide if they want to stay amish. After that year they have to tell the church which way they want to go, if they choose to be amish they are let back in .. but if they leave and don't want to continue the amish way, they can't come back.

That is about all I know about amish people ..lol
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I live in Lancaster, PA where they reside in the countryside and I still don't get it all.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I don't understand either. I watch the show but find it a bit unsettling. It seems that TLC is exploiting these young people.
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    It made me very unsettled. Just the lack of education and the proper way to speak and form sentences etc is what made me uncomfortable. I don't understand why they are allowed to educate their children .. or not educate them .. however they want.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I don't understand either. I watch the show but find it a bit unsettling. It seems that TLC is exploiting these young people.

TLC systematically exploits most people that are the subject of their shows.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options

TLC systematically exploits most people that are the subject of their shows.
    Too true. I fondly remember the days when TLC stood for The Learning Channel. It seems to be just crappy reality shows now that exploit different people who are a little out of mainstream America (like Honey Boo Boo)... the modern version of the freak show.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The show is pretty sad really. I've heard though before about the year they get to go explore and decide if they want to stay or not. So I think this is common maybe that they got to have this experience? But w/TLC's help these kids probably got to do a bit more than most Amish kids normally would?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I've never watched it but I get the impression that it is pretty fake...as is a lot of reality shows.